DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Nylon gear adhesive (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/641776-nylon-gear-adhesive.html)

Fletcher November 7th 19 10:53 AM

Nylon gear adhesive

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Andy Burns[_13_] November 7th 19 11:19 AM

Nylon gear adhesive

Fletcher wrote:

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg

Maybe 3M DP8005, but it's not cheap, and the dual tube syringe is meant
to be used with a dedicated applicator

Phil Allison[_3_] November 7th 19 11:26 AM

Nylon gear adhesive

Fletcher wrote:
---------------

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?

** Doubt there is any glue for Nylon under high stress.

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg

** I might be tempted to make a 1mm thick aluminium disc with large hole to fit over the broken gear. Then fasten it with numerous 2mm or 6BA nuts, washers and bolts.

Repaired a few broken plastic things with similar re-enforcing plates.

Worked for years afterwards.

That the item is of low value makes it more rewarding.

..... Phil

John-Del[_2_] November 7th 19 01:24 PM

Nylon gear adhesive

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 4:53:46 AM UTC-5, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Nylon is tough to bond. I've never seen any adhesive do more than support it's own weight at best.

In any case, the gear is so thin that edge adhesion won't hold even with a suitable adhesive assuming one exists. I've done plastic gears like that by epoxying a suitable size washer on both sides if you have the clearance. But those were regular plastic. I don't know if that will work on nylon even given the large contact area of two washers and epoxy. You can always drill through the gear and washer sandwich and pin both sides together. It also looks like it has tooth damage as well, so if you get it to work it will thump as it rotates as long as it doesn't jam.

Other than that, an old timer with a jeweler's lathe could make one for you out of metal, or if you know a tool maker.

Tim Schwartz[_2_] November 7th 19 02:56 PM

Nylon gear adhesive

On 11/7/2019 4:53 AM, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Hi,

I bought a 3D printed replacement gear for my Boston electric pencil
sharpener for around $10 on e-bay. Now there are several vendors, and a
couple of variations, so you could search e-bay for:

"Boston pencil sharpener gear" and find several choices.

Regards,
Tim

\[email protected] November 7th 19 03:13 PM

Nylon gear adhesive

On 11/7/19 4:53 AM, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Is this what you need ?

https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Gear-Y...re-bullets-btf

or https://tinyurl.com/y6kqhouq

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] November 7th 19 04:14 PM

Nylon gear adhesive

On 11/7/2019 4:53 AM, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

No adhesive will work well for that type of break but cyanoacrylates are
supposed to work on nylon.

How does an online pencil sharpener work? Put the pencil into the wifi?

Fred McKenzie November 7th 19 06:32 PM

Nylon gear adhesive

In article ,
Fletcher wrote:

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

This does not answer your question, but may be the best approach:

http://www.xacto.com/products/office...peners/detail/
1031

Fred

Fletcher November 7th 19 06:58 PM

Nylon gear adhesive

Sometime around Thu, 7 Nov 2019 08:57:26 -0500, Tim Schwartz
wrote.....

On 11/7/2019 4:53 AM, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Hi,

I bought a 3D printed replacement gear for my Boston electric pencil
sharpener for around $10 on e-bay. Now there are several vendors, and a
couple of variations, so you could search e-bay for:

"Boston pencil sharpener gear" and find several choices.

Regards,
Tim

It probably will not work but I'll try to glue it just once.
If that fails, I'll junk it for parts.

To replace the gear I first called Newell Office Company under Exacto in
Statesville NC 800-879-4868 but they no longer support the Boston Model 18
Electric Pencil Sharpener 296A so they won't sell a replacement gear.

I assumed it's nylon where it must be a really bad design given that it
breaks a lot in the same spot on the net https://youtu.be/TExVKWyZx20 so if
an expoxy or cyanacrylate doesn't work I probably should choose a more
reliable brand than this crummy Boston brand.

Like you said there are 3D replacements online I could buy.
There's even a "tinkercad" model file
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:267626
but I don't have a 3D printer to print it
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/6nqhKOHp530

Someone suggest a better brand they like that's better than crummy Boston?

TheExperimenter November 7th 19 07:56 PM

Nylon gear adhesive

On 11/7/19 4:53 AM, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Ten years ago, I had to bond a wire spool to a plastic tub. Both the
spool and tub were soft plastics, nylon and polypropylene, respectively.
I used this: https://tinyurl.com/y3z5cnyn

For three years, in temperatures from 15- 90 F, the bond held fine and
allowed me to wind and unwind wire around the spool. Then, one night,
it came apart after I had bumped the assembly against the door heading
outdoors. However, for the cost, I felt that the plastic bonder did the
job. You can find it just about anywhere, home improvement stores and
such. Good luck.

amdx[_3_] November 7th 19 10:04 PM

Nylon gear adhesive

On 11/7/2019 4:26 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
Fletcher wrote:
---------------

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?

** Doubt there is any glue for Nylon under high stress.

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg

** I might be tempted to make a 1mm thick aluminium disc with large hole to fit over the broken gear. Then fasten it with numerous 2mm or 6BA nuts, washers and bolts.

Repaired a few broken plastic things with similar re-enforcing plates.

Worked for years afterwards.

That the item is of low value makes it more rewarding.

.... Phil

Phil has the winner for me, I have local fastener company, that would
find me a washer or two I could work with, but aluminum is so easy to
work with, your choice.
That said, I have drilled 0.025" holes and placed a 0.025" rod in the
hole to put two pieces back together, always used an epoxy with it but
wasn't sure the epoxy did much on some of the repairs. Sometimes used
two rods in different areas. Buy for this, I like Phil's idea!
Mikek

micky November 7th 19 10:20 PM

Nylon gear adhesive

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 07 Nov 2019 12:32:59 -0500, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

In article ,
Fletcher wrote:

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

This does not answer your question, but may be the best approach:

http://www.xacto.com/products/office-solutions/pencil-sharpeners/detail/1031

Fred

An excellent idea. Probaby will last for 30 years.

We had one where the handle cyclinder fell off, but my mother kept the
cylinder and the rivet and I pounded the rivet down a bit and it jst
about good as new. I still have it somewhere but I use a knife to
sharpen pencils.

Ours didn't even suck in the pencil. You had to push it in. Worked just
fine.

Phil Allison[_3_] November 8th 19 12:54 AM

Nylon gear adhesive

amdx wrote:

---------------------
Phil Allison wrote:

** Doubt there is any glue for Nylon under high stress.

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg

** I might be tempted to make a 1mm thick aluminium disc with large hole to fit over the broken gear. Then fasten it with numerous 2mm or 6BA nuts, washers and bolts.

Repaired a few broken plastic things with similar re-enforcing plates.

Worked for years afterwards.

That the item is of low value makes it more rewarding.

Phil has the winner for me, I have local fastener company, that would
find me a washer or two I could work with, but aluminum is so easy to
work with, your choice.

** Guaranteed to work, long as 1mm extra thickness is not an issue.

..... Phil

HW November 9th 19 12:42 PM

Nylon gear adhesive

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 04:24:20 -0800 (PST), John-Del
wrote:

tooth damage as well, so if you get it to work it will thump

I am guessing the tooth damage came first. The repeated hammering each
time the tooth skipped, caused the gear to crack.

[email protected] November 9th 19 05:48 PM

Nylon gear adhesive

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 4:53:46 AM UTC-5, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Maybe JB Weld. (epoxy with thickener) Or Phil A's idea.

George H.

Fletcher November 11th 19 03:45 AM

Nylon gear adhesive

Sometime around Thu, 07 Nov 2019 16:20:46 -0500, micky
wrote.....

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 07 Nov 2019 12:32:59 -0500, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

In article ,
Fletcher wrote:

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

This does not answer your question, but may be the best approach:

http://www.xacto.com/products/office-solutions/pencil-sharpeners/detail/1031

Fred

An excellent idea. Probaby will last for 30 years.

We had one where the handle cyclinder fell off, but my mother kept the
cylinder and the rivet and I pounded the rivet down a bit and it jst
about good as new. I still have it somewhere but I use a knife to
sharpen pencils.

Ours didn't even suck in the pencil. You had to push it in. Worked just
fine.

Thanks to all for the advice for fixing broken plastic gears.
Broke with cyanacrylate & decided to give up on the epoxy.
Paid $30 at Staples to replace the crappy Boston with Bostich.
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5626.jpg
Any ideas for inventive re-use of the old Boston worm gear & transformer?

Fred McKenzie November 11th 19 04:42 AM

Nylon gear adhesive

In article ,
Fletcher wrote:

Thanks to all for the advice for fixing broken plastic gears.
Broke with cyanacrylate & decided to give up on the epoxy.

Do you know what model your Boston sharpener is? You might try E-Bay.
I see various replacement gear prices ranging from $7 to $21.

I also see someone selling a "parts only" model 17 that needs a new gear!

Fred

Fletcher November 11th 19 11:49 AM

Nylon gear adhesive

Sometime around Sun, 10 Nov 2019 22:42:59 -0500, Fred McKenzie
wrote.....

In article ,
Fletcher wrote:

Thanks to all for the advice for fixing broken plastic gears.
Broke with cyanacrylate & decided to give up on the epoxy.

Do you know what model your Boston sharpener is? You might try E-Bay.
I see various replacement gear prices ranging from $7 to $21.

I also see someone selling a "parts only" model 17 that needs a new gear!

Fred

It's a Boston Model 18 Electric Pencil Sharpener 296A/
I've never bought nor sold anything on Ebay.
I generally disassemble broken devices & keep what's re-usable.
Nothing much seems re-usable except the power cord though
(and I have a box full of those already).