Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default my DIY solder smoke remover

Ok, after getting some ideas here and online, this is similar to what I
ended up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=034F2JKX1Rs

The idea is to wet the layers to better grab smoke particles. I ended
up modifying it slightly:

https://i.imgur.com/SaStzwr.jpg

That is simply a five foot dryer duct extension taped onto the side of
the unit.

Learned something about RTV here. The blue RTV you see around the fan
did not stick to the PP box! Yet, the aluminum tape I used to secure
the duct to the side worked fine.

Performance wise, the duct made the unit a lot more versatile. I can
move the suction to just about anywhere I need it without having to move
the entire unit. The range appears to be up to about 6". I used the
strongest fan I could find, a 120mm one rated at 78 cfm. If I wanted to
spend more, I know there are some close to double that cfm.

I didn't have any incense to try, but the maker claims it filters it out
well enough that he can't smell it. There's still one mod I think I
will make and that is adding an activated carbon layer. There's
another video online showing such a DIY filter attached to the fan using
a non-functional fan. That would use the least carbon and make for easy
changing.

The main drawback with the device is having to use the wet filters and
it takes them a good twelve hours to dry and that's under a ceiling fan.
Don't want to trade filtered air for mold!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 12:16:41 -0400, Jim Horton
wrote:

[...]

It would be as effective to get a small fan and gently waft the smoke
away. Most of it will stick to room surfaces or diffuse away, and
never be inhaled.

This is a great thing to have around:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We were using one yesterday to experiment with a 250 watt class-D amp,
to measure heat sink temp vs air flow.

With these, too:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon rocks.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 11/2/19 12:51 PM, wrote:

With these, too:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Really neat, thanks for the share. One time, I built a digital
anemometer using a PC fan and DVM. I don't think I ever used it other
than to verify my car's speedometer at the time. Looks like someone's
been checking out my prior thread on thermocouples. The thermometer
that can use multiple thermocouples is very tempting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice inclusions, but can't have. I stopped eating refined/ processed
sugars over two years back. Took me from a moderately pre-diabetic to
practically nonexistent just by making that change.

Amazon rocks.

They're at the top of their game now, but one wonders how long it will
last

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 13:39:36 -0400, Jim Horton
wrote:

On 11/2/19 12:51 PM, wrote:

With these, too:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Really neat, thanks for the share. One time, I built a digital
anemometer using a PC fan and DVM. I don't think I ever used it other
than to verify my car's speedometer at the time. Looks like someone's
been checking out my prior thread on thermocouples. The thermometer
that can use multiple thermocouples is very tempting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Air flow meters are great. Air is peverse stuff that defies
expectations. Often the air is flowing in exactly the obvious
direction, like downward into the hub of a fan blowing up into a card
cage.

Nice inclusions, but can't have. I stopped eating refined/ processed
sugars over two years back. Took me from a moderately pre-diabetic to
practically nonexistent just by making that change.

I figure that sugar is sugar. It usually comes from sugar cane and
removing some molasses and recrystalizing a couple of times doesn't
change the chemistry.

Corn syrup is evil, unless you are making the occasional pecan pie.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 02 Nov 2019 11:05:43 -0700,
wrote:

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 13:39:36 -0400, Jim Horton
wrote:

On 11/2/19 12:51 PM,
wrote:

With these, too:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Really neat, thanks for the share. One time, I built a digital
anemometer using a PC fan and DVM. I don't think I ever used it other
than to verify my car's speedometer at the time. Looks like someone's
been checking out my prior thread on thermocouples. The thermometer
that can use multiple thermocouples is very tempting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Air flow meters are great. Air is peverse stuff that defies
expectations. Often the air is flowing in exactly the obvious

^ non

direction, like downward into the hub of a fan blowing up into a card
cage.

Nice inclusions, but can't have. I stopped eating refined/ processed
sugars over two years back. Took me from a moderately pre-diabetic to
practically nonexistent just by making that change.

I figure that sugar is sugar. It usually comes from sugar cane and
removing some molasses and recrystalizing a couple of times doesn't
change the chemistry.

Corn syrup is evil, unless you are making the occasional pecan pie.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 12:16:46 PM UTC-4, Jim Horton wrote:

The main drawback with the device is having to use the wet filters and
it takes them a good twelve hours to dry and that's under a ceiling fan.
Don't want to trade filtered air for mold!

If you are using synthetic sponges for the filters, add a tablespoon of bleach to a pint of water - no mold.

Or, isopropyl alcohol - anything over about 6% will inhibit mold as well. You may use alcohol on natural (cellulose) fiber sponges.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA