DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Noise Suppression (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/641559-noise-suppression.html)

APlus October 29th 19 08:35 PM

Noise Suppression

When refrigerator starts up it spikes the line and devices get triggered.

Where can I find device to put in the refrigerator ac line to kill that
noise ?

Links please.

Thank you !

[email protected] October 29th 19 09:04 PM

Noise Suppression

Much more information is needed for a complete answer. A "Furman" line conditioner with the capacity to handle a motor load will cost well in excess of a new refrigerator that will not have this issue. If the motor-start capacitor is failing, same issue as these are often sealed units. Applicable only to North America, of course.

So, where/what/age/brand/what is tripping, and how?

Otherwise, look up "true RMS line conditioner".

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Ralph Mowery October 29th 19 09:05 PM

Noise Suppression

In article , says...
hen refrigerator starts up it spikes the line and devices get triggered.

Where can I find device to put in the refrigerator ac line to kill that
noise ?

Links please.

You may try something like this :

https://www.tripplite.com/isobar-6-o...tor-6-ft-cord-
3300-joules~ISOBAR6

Hook it to the refrigerator to start with and if you still get devices
tripping, put it on the devices.

Are you sure it is a spike or is it possiable the refrigerator is
drawing enough current to drop the voltage ? A friend had a loose
neutral on his power line. One side would have low voltage and the
other would have high voltage. He had to get the power company to
correct it.

[email protected] October 29th 19 09:13 PM

Noise Suppression

Ralph:

A surge protector has only limited effectiveness on "outgoing" surges. Not none, limited.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Phil Allison[_3_] October 29th 19 09:28 PM

Noise Suppression

APlus wrote:

-------------

When refrigerator starts up it spikes the line and devices get triggered.

** That is extremely unusual - the fridge MUST be faulty.

Where can I find device to put in the refrigerator ac line to kill that
noise ?

** Now you change your story ?

A burst of "noise " is not a voltage drop that can trigger things.

If the thermostat switch has no RC snubber, there is a burst RF noise that can make its way into audio gear as a click or a brief flash or data loss on a TV screen.

IME no plug in device is effective against this.

You need to add or replace the missing/ faulty snubber.

BTW:

Diagnosing your own problem and its cure is not welcome here.

Just describe the problem in detail and leave the rest open.

...... Phil

[email protected] October 30th 19 02:32 AM

Noise Suppression

On Tuesday, 29 October 2019 20:35:26 UTC, APlus wrote:
When refrigerator starts up it spikes the line and devices get triggered.

Where can I find device to put in the refrigerator ac line to kill that
noise ?

Links please.

Thank you !

domestic or large commercial?

John-Del[_2_] October 30th 19 11:53 AM

Noise Suppression

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 5:05:53 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...
hen refrigerator starts up it spikes the line and devices get triggered.

Where can I find device to put in the refrigerator ac line to kill that
noise ?

Links please.

Are you sure it is a spike or is it possiable the refrigerator is
drawing enough current to drop the voltage ?

That was my first thought - wiring issue.

[email protected] November 27th 19 02:43 PM

Noise Suppression

On Oct 29, 2019, Ralph wrote:
On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 4:35:26 PM UTC-4, APlus wrote:
When refrigerator starts up it spikes the line and devices get triggered.

Where can I find device to put in the refrigerator ac line to kill that
noise ?

Links please.

Thank you !

A surge protector has only limited effectiveness on "outgoing" surges. Not none,
limited.

Hook the fridge up to a surge protector.

[email protected] November 27th 19 05:39 PM

Noise Suppression

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 9:43:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Hook the fridge up to a surge protector.

Surge Protectors are designed to work on incoming power. Depending on the design, they are far less effective with outgoing surges. And, if you have, in fact, a drop in voltage due to a hard-start, the will have no effect at all.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Cursitor Doom[_4_] November 28th 19 08:53 AM

Noise Suppression

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 06:43:28 -0800, bruce2bowser wrote:

Hook the fridge up to a surge protector.

If it's the back EMF from the motor as I assume it will be, then it'll be
a spike, not a surge, and that requires a different approach.

Cursitor Doom[_4_] November 28th 19 08:55 AM

Noise Suppression

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 09:39:25 -0800, wrote:

Surge Protectors are designed to work on incoming power. Depending on
the design, they are far less effective with outgoing surges. And, if
you have, in fact, a drop in voltage due to a hard-start, the will have
no effect at all.

It's more likely a spike from the motor current being suddenly shut-off.
Remember motors are reactive components.

whit3rd November 28th 19 08:54 PM

Noise Suppression

On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 12:55:40 AM UTC-8, Cursitor Doom wrote:

It's more likely a spike from the motor current being suddenly shut-off.
Remember motors are reactive components.

A normal refrigerator motor turn-off doesn't have this effect. This is
not normal, is most likely a wiring-in-the-walls fault. An electrician should
check the power delivered.