DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Laptop Fan noise (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/641114-laptop-fan-noise.html)

Kit October 20th 19 02:22 AM

Laptop Fan noise

Fan died. Replace a fan in a laptop.

New fan growls at low speed. Annoying.
At high speed it just sounds like air blowing.

Why does it growl at low speed ?

Any fix ?

Something to do with the type of bearings ?

Anything to look for if I decide to replace again ?

John Robertson October 20th 19 02:29 PM

Laptop Fan noise

On 2019/10/19 6:22 p.m., Kit wrote:
Â* Fan died.Â* Replace a fan in a laptop.

New fan growls at low speed. Annoying.
At high speed it just sounds like air blowing.

Why does it growl at low speed ?

Any fix ?

Something to do with the type of bearings ?

Anything to look for if I decide to replace again ?

I would take it apart to make sure it was assembled correctly and no
stray material (bit of paper or packing material) is inside or in the
fan exhaust. Then if all looks good order a replacement fan as the one
you purchased is likely defective. Contact the seller of the fan to see
what their replacement policy is - assuming the inspection shows nothing
snuck in with the fan!

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Paul Drahn[_2_] October 24th 19 10:20 PM

Laptop Fan noise

On 10/20/2019 6:29 AM, John Robertson wrote:
On 2019/10/19 6:22 p.m., Kit wrote:
Â*Â* Fan died.Â* Replace a fan in a laptop.

New fan growls at low speed. Annoying.
At high speed it just sounds like air blowing.

Why does it growl at low speed ?

Any fix ?

Something to do with the type of bearings ?

Anything to look for if I decide to replace again ?

I would take it apart to make sure it was assembled correctly and no
stray material (bit of paper or packing material) is inside or in the
fan exhaust. Then if all looks good order a replacement fan as the one
you purchased is likely defective. Contact the seller of the fan to see
what their replacement policy is - assuming the inspection shows nothing
snuck in with the fan!

John :-#)#

No need to take it apart. Just blow the dust and dirt out with
compressed air.

Paul