Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Looking for tips on speaker cone repair

Looking for tips on speaker cone repair.

Years ago, I used rubber cement and toilet paper on the rips. Any better
suggestions?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Looking for tips on speaker cone repair.

Years ago, I used rubber cement and toilet paper on the rips. Any better
suggestions?

Use Aleen's Tacky Glue with tissue placed on rear for best look. Elmers
Shool or Glue-all will also work on center portion. Aleen's is flexible and
I think Glue-All is flexible, not School Glue.

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 23:29:52 UTC+1, wrote:

Looking for tips on speaker cone repair.

Years ago, I used rubber cement and toilet paper on the rips. Any better
suggestions?

ISTR using record sleeves long ago for the paper. Re glue it needs to be a bit flexible, but not too floppy like silicone.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 17:29:49 -0500, wrote:

Looking for tips on speaker cone repair.

Years ago, I used rubber cement and toilet paper on the rips. Any better
suggestions?

Years ago I mended a speaker cone with soft cloth glued on with
Evostick.

Steve

--
http://www.npsnn.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There are many different kinds of cones, and each type has different options.

For run-of-the-mill AA5 speaker (cheap), they usually crack rather than tear. A soft-set hot-melt glue across the tear usually does it. Do a zig-zag first, then cover the tear completely. Hotter the better, so the glue soaks into the paper. By the way, there is nothing wrong with hot-melt glue with silicon admixtures if applied hot enough. Other than the cost. And of one uses archival-grade glues, oxidation is greatly reduced. It's only money - and six sticks will do, likely, 120 speakers, so the cost-per is minimal.

https://www.gaylord.com/Preservation...Pack)/p/636315

Most cone paper is very hard to retain rigidity in use. What goes back needs to be able to accommodate the hard paper so as not to tear again on the seams.

This stuff is ideal:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-N...=fsclp_pl_dp_3

And a lifetime supply for a few bucks is not hard to take.

None of these beat professional reconing, but many applications are not worthy of that expense

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How about just reconing it, it's not difficult.

It is a mater of getting the cone. And the voice coil has to match. Either that or you got a hell of alot more work to do.