Old August 5th 19, 04:56 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Help hacking a laser tape measure?

Firstly for anyone else playing with these neat cheap laser diode
measuring devices.
I'm initially playing with a (Lidl) Parkside PLEM 50 (50m range), to
eventually use a Lomvum LV 120 (120m range) coupled to a pc via
Pi/Arduino. Both have 4 line 7segment LCD plus annunciators display with
a "chip on glass" look-up page chip for decoding and driving the LCD.
Made by SZYCLCD.COM and ident YGFB178004-A1 on the .5mm spacing ribbon
and I know by swapping between each, they are compatible between both
devices , completely different external and internal appearance, but
same STM micro. 14 way ribbon to LCD , 2 w for backlight, 2w for power
to chip on glass and a number of apparently inactive lines in
measurement mode anyway . So d0 clock , d3 and d4 used for SPI update
principal lastline of LCD and d2 +d3 active during power-up/first page
but not in measure mode.
Breaking-out at the ZIF ribbon socket and using Hobbycomponents
"matchbox" pulse analyser and Sigrok/Pulseview and pairs of readings on
the lower line of the LCD, ie switch unit on, then just pressing
"measure" once initiates the SPI clock pulses. The LCD is updated from
switch-on display in 0.5 to 1 seconds , so the data must be contained
within the first 2 or 3 frames of data. Short duration bursts of clock
then various amounts of dead space , as much as 400mS between frames,
highly variable duration.
I was hoping the same as

https://www.mictronics.de/2018/02/la...-meter-hack/4/
LookupTableLcdLastLine.pdf , on link
https://www.mictronics.de/?wpfb_dl=156
on seeing 17 4 bit words per frame (mainly, sometimes 13, sometimes 16)
The first frame seems to have only 4 variants and is re-used for totally
different last-line readings. Whatever I set sampling speed, clock
polarity or phase etc I cannot avoid the "smearing" between frames ,eg
348-384 : 05
378-403 : 00
403-428 : 04

429-1961499 : 0C

980976-981002 : 0D
981001-981026 : 00
981026-981051 : 04

how to tidy up word apportionment ?.

And then for pairs of metre/mm distance readings I cannot get any sense
of pertinent words to decode/look-up (redundant 0's removed here for
linwrap)
and only frames 2 and 3 including the "smears"
B1820 sequence looked promising as an ident but non appearance in one
dataset.

00012080049008B180208010400A200 =6.345a
8B18020400108A000001208004900 =6.345b

8B180200010400A4000044041002101 =5.085a
000120A000504CD0401048082004202 =5.085b
(B18020 sequence not appearing in any succeeding frame, well beyond 1
second)

00012080049088B180208010400A404 =1.564a
B180200010400A400008010400A404 =1.564b

--
Monthly public talks on science topics, Hampshire , England
http://diverse.4mg.com/scicaf.htm

Old August 6th 19, 03:24 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/5/2019 10:56 AM, N_Cook wrote:
[...]

What did he say?
Mikek
Old August 6th 19, 08:40 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 05/08/2019 16:56, N_Cook wrote:
d2 +d3 active

d2 +d3 active should have read as d1 + d2 active

Old August 6th 19, 10:00 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx wrote:

Nutcase_Kook wrote:

( snip pile of Kook's incomprehensible gibberish )

What did he say?

** ROTFLMAO !!

..... Phil
Old August 6th 19, 12:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 5 August 2019 16:55:48 UTC+1, N_Cook wrote:
[...]

I'm not 'getting any sense of pertinent words' from this either.
Nor the reason for any of this.

Old August 6th 19, 01:36 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Some of us have time on our hands.
Some of us have a perverse level of curiosity.
Which leads some of us to do strange things for no apparent reason.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old August 6th 19, 02:20 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/6/19 7:36 AM, wrote:
Some of us have time on our hands.

And there are those of us that know how to use a text editor.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Old August 6th 19, 04:18 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 13:36:38 UTC+1, wrote:
Some of us have time on our hands.
Some of us have a perverse level of curiosity.
Which leads some of us to do strange things for no apparent reason.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

There is always a reason. The OP has not stated his.
Old August 6th 19, 04:50 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

I find simple curiosity to be both sufficient and necessary for this sort of quest. Nor do I see utility as having any particular value. But all-and-at the same time, I have many things that I am curious about that would come in way ahead of hacking a laser measure.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA