Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Odd battery voltages

I opened a new package of Kirkland brand AA batteries but when I put
them in the device I got the flashing LED mesage of low voltage. Out
of 6 batteries 3 were bad. Measuring the voltages one battery measured
..82 volts, another 1.1 volts, and a third one measured -87 mV.
Negative? Really? Yeah, I thought that too. But I made sure the meter
leads were correctly placed. So I guess something weird is happenening
to these batteries while they are sitting in the package. Maybe they
are getting ready to leak. I'm thinking that package needs to go back.
to Costco.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tell you a story:

Energizer Batteries, 1960s-vintage Civil Defense Geiger Counter - my wife collected Fiesta Ware at the time. Paid $30 for the counter and its accouterments at a surplus sale.

Batteries blew up.
Sent the unit to Energizer.

6-weeks later, I received a check from Energizer for $349.67, or some such close to that number, together with a polite note not to keep batteries in a device while in storage.

Nothing but US-made batteries, from here on out. With Energizer being the preferred vendor.

You may have saved $2 for that pack over a domestic name-brand. But it is costing you the trouble of returning them - which in any case will be far more than $2, probably enough for half-a-dozen 'real' batteries.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 4:11:10 PM UTC-4, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:45:11 -0700, wrote:
I opened a new package of Kirkland brand AA batteries but when I put
them in the device I got the flashing LED mesage of low voltage. Out
of 6 batteries 3 were bad. Measuring the voltages one battery measured
.82 volts, another 1.1 volts, and a third one measured -87 mV.
Negative? Really? Yeah, I thought that too. But I made sure the meter
leads were correctly placed. So I guess something weird is happenening
to these batteries while they are sitting in the package. Maybe they
are getting ready to leak. I'm thinking that package needs to go back.
to Costco.

Yes!
By all means return them to Costco with an attached note as to
their failure(s).

I've been buying, storing (in a fridge), and using Costco's D, AA, AAA,
and 9V batteries for at least 2 decades without issue. Any retailer can
get hurt by bad products from a supplier. But, without feedback . . . . .

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | W3DHJ | W3DHJ |
https://W3DHJ.net/

I've never bothered experimenting, but Duracell recommends storing alkalines at room temp - storing in the refrigerator is not recommended. Supposedly, rechargeables (other than eneloop types) will hold their charge longer if cold, but who knows?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 19 July 2019 18:39:51 UTC+1, wrote:

I opened a new package of Kirkland brand AA batteries but when I put
them in the device I got the flashing LED mesage of low voltage. Out
of 6 batteries 3 were bad. Measuring the voltages one battery measured
.82 volts, another 1.1 volts, and a third one measured -87 mV.
Negative? Really? Yeah, I thought that too. But I made sure the meter
leads were correctly placed. So I guess something weird is happenening
to these batteries while they are sitting in the package. Maybe they
are getting ready to leak. I'm thinking that package needs to go back.
to Costco.
Eric

I've had some with small negative v too. No idea what the chemistry is that's making that happen.

As for brands, most are much the same. ZnC and alkaline certainly aren't, but otherwise they're not a lot different. All are liable to leak when flat. ZnC sometimes leak when half flat.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 19 July 2019 18:39:51 UTC+1, wrote:

I opened a new package of Kirkland brand AA batteries but when I put
them in the device I got the flashing LED mesage of low voltage. Out
of 6 batteries 3 were bad. Measuring the voltages one battery measured
.82 volts, another 1.1 volts, and a third one measured -87 mV.
Negative? Really? Yeah, I thought that too. But I made sure the meter
leads were correctly placed. So I guess something weird is happenening
to these batteries while they are sitting in the package.

I've had some with small negative v too. No idea what the chemistry is that's making that happen.

As for brands, most are much the same. ZnC and alkaline certainly aren't, but otherwise they're not a lot
different. All are liable to leak when flat. ZnC sometimes leak when half flat.

A decade ago, I was happily buying the Kirkland-brand AAs from Costco,
getting good in-service lifetime and no problems to speak of.

A few years ago, something changed. I began to find their AAs
starting to leak, while still fully charged (never put into service),
while still in the original storage box or shrink-wrap package, well
before their labeled "use by" date.

I don't know whether they changed suppliers, or whether their old
supplier's quality fell through the floor... but the result was the
same. I've stopped buying the Kirkland batteries.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 13:55:17 -0700 (PDT), John-Del wrote:
[...]

My para-chemist opinion is that alkaline batteries are based on chemical
processes, and chemical processes are slowed by lower temperatures.
(Just try starting your car in -50 degrees Fahrenheit. I have.)

My other opinion is that (insert any company name here) has a mission
statement that - (paraphrasing) states "We are here to move product".
(That's why peanut butter and jelly jars contain ridges. You buy
8 oz. and throw out .25 oz. Big deal? Well, after millions and millions
of .25 ounces are thrown out, you can see They Moved A Lot Of Product.

That's my belief and I'm sticking to it. :-)
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | W3DHJ | W3DHJ |
https://W3DHJ.net/
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | __ linux FreeBSD
38.238N 104.547W | jonz.net | DM78rf | 73 SK
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 20/07/2019 8:30 am, Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Seems to be the same with all brands now, must be they have found a
cheaper way to produce.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 17:30:54 -0700, (Dave
Platt) wrote:

A decade ago, I was happily buying the Kirkland-brand AAs from Costco,
getting good in-service lifetime and no problems to speak of.

A few years ago, something changed. I began to find their AAs
starting to leak, while still fully charged (never put into service),
while still in the original storage box or shrink-wrap package, well
before their labeled "use by" date.

It was more than a few years. In 1996, mercury was removed from
alkaline and other batteries. Mercury is what prevented leaks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery
When introduced in the late 1960s, the zinc electrode of
alkaline batteries (in common with the then ubiquitous
carbon-zinc cells) had a surface film of mercury amalgam.
Its purpose was to control electrolytic action at impurity
sites, which would reduce shelf life and promote leakage.
With reductions in mercury content being mandated by
various legislatures, it became necessary to greatly improve
the purity and consistency of the zinc.

I don't know whether they changed suppliers, or whether their old
supplier's quality fell through the floor... but the result was the
same. I've stopped buying the Kirkland batteries.

Since they can't use mercury, they have to use highly refined zinc
which I assume is expensive. In theory, using only the purity of the
zinc, they could adjust how long the battery will last before leaking
by simply controlling the impurity level in the zinc.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/19/19 9:18 PM, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

My para-chemist opinion is that alkaline batteries are based on chemical
processes, and chemical processes are slowed by lower temperatures.
(Just try starting your car in -50 degrees Fahrenheit. I have.)

My other opinion is that (insert any company name here) has a mission
statement that - (paraphrasing) states "We are here to move product".
(That's why peanut butter and jelly jars contain ridges. You buy
8 oz. and throw out .25 oz. Big deal? Well, after millions and millions
of .25 ounces are thrown out, you can see They Moved A Lot Of Product.

That's my belief and I'm sticking to it. :-)

A few decades ago in another country I had a scraper/spatula with an
edge shaped to match the ridges in cans and jars. Haven't seen such a
thing since.

Perce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 11:00:19 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 7/19/19 9:18 PM, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

My para-chemist opinion is that alkaline batteries are based on chemical
processes, and chemical processes are slowed by lower temperatures.
(Just try starting your car in -50 degrees Fahrenheit. I have.)

My other opinion is that (insert any company name here) has a mission
statement that - (paraphrasing) states "We are here to move product".
(That's why peanut butter and jelly jars contain ridges. You buy
8 oz. and throw out .25 oz. Big deal? Well, after millions and millions
of .25 ounces are thrown out, you can see They Moved A Lot Of Product.

That's my belief and I'm sticking to it. :-)

A few decades ago in another country I had a scraper/spatula with an
edge shaped to match the ridges in cans and jars. Haven't seen such a
thing since.

Perce

It's called a "jar scraper tool" or something similar:
https://www.google.com/search?q=jar+scraper+tool&tbm=isch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I-Fo0SF6qU
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=peanut+butter+jar+scraper
https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/peanut-butter-spoon

However, that doesn't mean that manufacturers can't retaliate and make
life difficult. Try scraping all the peanut butter out of these jars:
https://www.google.com/search?q=peanut+butter+"sun-pat"&tbm=isch

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

As to how you would get 'negative' voltage. Consider what happens when you connect your VOM with the leads reversed.

The chemistry in that battery had "flipped over" such that it was producing current opposite to the marked poles. Not uncommon with cheap batteries that often blow up even before being unwrapped.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/20/19 10:11 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

[...]

This is pretty close to what I had:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tovolo-5-Se...AOSw5cNYkS7 q

Perce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 05:06:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

As to how you would get 'negative' voltage. Consider what happens when you connect your VOM with the leads reversed.

The chemistry in that battery had "flipped over" such that it was producing current opposite to the marked poles. Not uncommon with cheap batteries that often blow up even before being unwrapped.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I know the chemistry somehow reversed. What I would like is an
explanation of what happened in detail. How the chemistry reverses.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I know the chemistry somehow reversed. What I would like is an
explanation of what happened in detail. How the chemistry reverses.
Eric

OK:

Parts and pieces, simplified:

Zinc anode current collector.
Manganese Oxide Cathode.
Potassium Hydroxide Electrolyte/Anode

Chemical Reactions = power + heat.
External Heat will increase the completeness of the reaction.
When that heat is removed, there is an opportunity for the reaction to reverse.
When the expansion seal fails (the chemical reactions increase internal volume, and so will cause cheap batteries to leak), oxygen added to the system will react with the other chemicals and start that reverse reaction.

Notice that the reverse reaction is a very tiny fraction of the primary reaction, and needs a considerable and elaborate sequence-of-events to take place:

a) Over Reaction
b) Leak
c) Oxygen

Peter Wieck