Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Anybody ever painted a phone?

There was a wall mount phone made back in the 60s called the "Space
Saver". I really like these phones and have looked for a long time for
a pastel green one. I did find one but it is inside a restaurant and
they aren't gonna sell it, seeing as how it was added for the decor
and isn't even connected.
So I bought a black one on eBay today and when it arrives I want to
paint it. Anybody here ever done this? I have looked at reviews online
and they all seem to be ads more than reviews.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 14:15:26 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 7/6/19 1:54 PM, wrote:
Any advice would be appreciated.

Krylon makes spray paint specifically for painting plastic surfaces.
Take some carbide sand paper and scuff the shine off first for a
better result.

Agreed. That's probably the easy and right way to do it.

However, following convention is not my idea of fun. Instead, I
suggest using fabric dye made for coloring synthetic (usually plastic)
materials.
https://frontstreet.media/2016/07/13/tech-plastic-dyeing-the-permanent-solution-and-alternative-to-painting/
https://www.ehow.com/how_8550306_dye-plastic-rit-dye.html
https://www.ritdye.com/type/dyemore-for-synthetics/
The bad news is that it's easy to dye a light colored plastic to
something darker, but not the other way around. Dark colored plastics
will need to be painted.

It might be a bit tricky testing the dye process if you only have a
single telephone. Worse, the handset might be made from a different
plastic from the instrument case. Anyway, if using dye fails, you
could always try again using paint.

Drivel: My father was in the petticoat and lingerie manufacturing
business. All the material was mostly nylon. We discovered that we
could save quite a bit of money on material if we bought white nylon
net and thread, and then dyed them whatever colors were needed. So,
my mother and I spent countless hours at the kitchen sink dyeing white
nylon into about 10 basic colors. Also, during the cold war era,
there was a demand for red "hot line" phones. Somehow, I didn't think
of trying to make one by painting or dyeing a phone red.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 7/6/19 1:54 PM, wrote:
[...]

Too bad it's a black phone.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 10:28:25 -0700, wrote:

Too bad it's a black phone.

Oh well. It will probably need to be done with paint.

Here's a telephone paint job:
https://www.littledoveblog.com/2012/09/vintage-phone-refurbish/
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/painters-touch-2x-ultra-cover
Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2X pint.

Or paint it pink:
"Retro telephone DIY makeover using Rust-oleum candy pink spray paint"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbELkHqX4WA
Rust-oleum spray paint and surface primer.

Or, purple:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Purple-Rotary-Phone/
Rust-oleum Ultra Cover 2X primer and spray paint. Yuck.

Apparently, repainting phones is a sufficiently popular pastime that
can support at least one service company:
http://allproductspainting.com/telephone-refurbishing/

There are various shades of red available. It might be useful to
check the Pantone and Fed-STD-595 color chips and charts for the
correct shade of red.
https://www.krylon.com/spray-paint-color-center/colors/red-spray-paint/
http://ams-std-595-color.com
https://www.pantone.com
Actually, I'm not certain if there is a color standard for the old
hotline phones.

Also, be careful painting the vinyl coil cord. If the paint layers
are too thick, the paint might crack or flake when the coil cord is
extended.

Good luck.
--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 11:52:20 AM UTC-7, wrote:
There was a wall mount phone made back in the 60s called the "Space
Saver". I really like these phones and have looked for a long time for
a pastel green one.

Yow, is that a DIAL phone?

It's a good idea to use that Krylon paint (Fusion?) intended for plastic,
and removing the shell before painting will help. I'd consider a
water-wash (and maybe add some dishwasher detergent or a teaspoon
of lye to the wash water, to get the inevitable fingerprints off),
followed by a long air-dry (give it a couple of days) before
painting, and start with an opaque (aluminum would be good) light
color undercoat before the pastel final coat. Spray paint coverage
will make it look blotchy otherwise.

Does your telephone exchange still accept dial phone input? I've not
seen such in use in the recent decades.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 12:23:50 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Also, be careful painting the vinyl coil cord. If the paint layers are
too thick, the paint might crack or flake when the coil cord is extended

Might be worth looking for a new handset cord of the right color.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/7/19 4:11 PM, whit3rd wrote:
Does your telephone exchange still accept dial phone input?

AT&T was going to charge extra for DTMF dialing.
The FCC stepped in.
They made a deal with the devil. (AT&T)
You can charge for DTMF, BUT....You will continue to accept
pulse dialing forever.
MagicJack won't accept pulse dialing, however, AT&T does as
well as my Asterisk PBX.
Which is great, I have an original Stromberg Carlson candle
stick phone with a rotary dial. It works "just fine."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 21:31:06 -0000 (UTC), Frank
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 12:23:50 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Also, be careful painting the vinyl coil cord. If the paint layers are
too thick, the paint might crack or flake when the coil cord is extended

Might be worth looking for a new handset cord of the right color.

Or, just replace it with a non-curly handset cord:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=space+saver+telephone
Looks like those were mostly available only in black.

Or, cracking might not be a problem:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylic_paint
... acrylic paint is very elastic, which prevents cracking
from occurring. Acrylic paint's binder is acrylic polymer
emulsion - as this binder dries, the paint remains flexible.
I guess the easiest way to find out is to paint a different coil cord
and see what happens.

"How to Paint Flexible Plastic"
https://www.hunker.com/12002490/how-to-paint-flexible-plastic

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 17:46:00 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 7/7/19 4:11 PM, whit3rd wrote:
Does your telephone exchange still accept dial phone input?

AT&T was going to charge extra for DTMF dialing.
The FCC stepped in.
They made a deal with the devil. (AT&T)
You can charge for DTMF, BUT....You will continue to accept
pulse dialing forever.
MagicJack won't accept pulse dialing, however, AT&T does as
well as my Asterisk PBX.
Which is great, I have an original Stromberg Carlson candle
stick phone with a rotary dial. It works "just fine."

U-Verse voice, cable internet gateways, Magic Jack, and VoIP adapters
will NOT work with a rotary dial phone. However, there are dial pulse
to DTMF adapters available for about $40:
https://www.voip-info.org/dial-pulse-to-touchtone-dtmf-converters/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Good Grief! Who knew there would be this much interest? Anyway, I did
find an outfit that sells handset cords of various colors and maybe I
can paint the phone to match the color cord I like. Thanks for all the
info Jeff.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 6:46:08 PM UTC-4, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 7/7/19 4:11 PM, whit3rd wrote:
Does your telephone exchange still accept dial phone input?

AT&T was going to charge extra for DTMF dialing.
The FCC stepped in.
They made a deal with the devil. (AT&T)
You can charge for DTMF, BUT....You will continue to accept
pulse dialing forever.
MagicJack won't accept pulse dialing, however, AT&T does as
well as my Asterisk PBX.
Which is great, I have an original Stromberg Carlson candle
stick phone with a rotary dial. It works "just fine."

For the impatient, those are a problem. Nothing worse than waiting for pizza, cabs, or hookers..
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 7 July 2019 23:46:08 UTC+1, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 7/7/19 4:11 PM, whit3rd wrote:

Does your telephone exchange still accept dial phone input?

AT&T was going to charge extra for DTMF dialing.
The FCC stepped in.
They made a deal with the devil. (AT&T)
You can charge for DTMF, BUT....You will continue to accept
pulse dialing forever.
MagicJack won't accept pulse dialing, however, AT&T does as
well as my Asterisk PBX.
Which is great, I have an original Stromberg Carlson candle
stick phone with a rotary dial. It works "just fine."

IME telcos here say no they don't support pulse dial, but in reality many exchanges do, not all.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 7/7/19 4:11 PM, whit3rd wrote:
Does your telephone exchange still accept dial phone input?

AT&T was going to charge extra for DTMF dialing.
The FCC stepped in.
They made a deal with the devil. (AT&T)
You can charge for DTMF, BUT....You will continue to accept
pulse dialing forever.
MagicJack won't accept pulse dialing, however, AT&T does as
well as my Asterisk PBX.
Which is great, I have an original Stromberg Carlson candle
stick phone with a rotary dial. It works "just fine."

U-Verse voice, cable internet gateways, Magic Jack, and VoIP adapters
will NOT work with a rotary dial phone. However, there are dial pulse
to DTMF adapters available for about $40:
https://www.voip-info.org/dial-pulse-to-touchtone-dtmf-converters/

My previous Comcast cable box worked on pulse. Newer one doesn't.

Greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/11/19 3:35 AM, gregz wrote:
My previous Comcast cable box worked on pulse. Newer one doesn't.

You're cable box isn't the phone company.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 7/7/19 4:11 PM, whit3rd wrote:
Does your telephone exchange still accept dial phone input?

AT&T was going to charge extra for DTMF dialing.
The FCC stepped in.
They made a deal with the devil. (AT&T)
You can charge for DTMF, BUT....You will continue to accept
pulse dialing forever.
MagicJack won't accept pulse dialing, however, AT&T does as
well as my Asterisk PBX.
Which is great, I have an original Stromberg Carlson candle
stick phone with a rotary dial. It works "just fine."

U-Verse voice, cable internet gateways, Magic Jack, and VoIP adapters
will NOT work with a rotary dial phone. However, there are dial pulse
to DTMF adapters available for about $40:
https://www.voip-info.org/dial-pulse-to-touchtone-dtmf-converters/

My previous Comcast cable box worked on pulse. Newer one doesn't.
Greg

It might have been able to make an outgoing phone call, but I doubt it
has a way to dial "*" or "#". Perhaps a 12 digit dial? Notice that
all the features require at least a "*":
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/phone-quick-reference-guide

"Telephone Keys Used with Xfinity Voice Features"
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-started-digital-voice-features
"Rotary telephones are not compatible with Xfinity Voice service."

In 1996, Congress passed the Telecommunications Act of 1996, which
deregulated the telephone industry, thus allowing them to remove or
ignore the requirement to support pulse dialing. I vaguely recall
that this was about the time when support of pulse dialing rapidly
disappeared in both instruments and at the exchanges. However,
companies that have an international market for their devices seem to
have continued to support pulse dialing, at least until all the
exchanges have upgraded their equipment:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/Beirut-Telco/index.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
On 7/7/19 4:11 PM, whit3rd wrote:

[...]

A simple solution to pulse dialling phones is to use an old answerphone remote control. Just dial your number on that instead.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 12 July 2019 04:14:37 UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 12:42:28 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

A simple solution to pulse dialling phones is to use an old
answerphone remote control. Just dial your number on that instead.
NT

I hope you're not suggesting acoustic coupling. Over the years, I've
owned various "tone dialer" boxes:
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/tone-dialer
Mostly, I used them to couple into a 2way radio microphone to control
a repeater or to simulate DTMF paging. When I attempted to
acoustically couple any of these devices to the telephone mouthpiece
in order to dial a number, I would get misdials, erratic dialing, and
a general failure to cooperate. Just like the bad old days of
Anderson Jacobson acoustically coupled 300 baud modems, it didn't work
very well. I had one device that plugged into the phone line via an
RJ-11 jack, which did work reliably.

At one time I used handheld remotes to dial old phones, never had a problem with it.

NT