DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Yaesu FRG-7700 Tuning dial mechanical fault (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/636536-yaesu-frg-7700-tuning-dial-mechanical-fault.html)

Lucifer[_6_] June 10th 19 08:30 AM

Yaesu FRG-7700 Tuning dial mechanical fault

The tuning dial of my Yaesu FRG-7700 receiver will not rotate beyond
about 780 Khz.
Is that easy to fix?

[email protected] June 10th 19 01:32 PM

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 3:30:30 AM UTC-4, Lucifer wrote:
The tuning dial of my Yaesu FRG-7700 receiver will not rotate beyond
about 780 Khz.
Is that easy to fix?

I suspect that the tuning mechanism is a geared assembly. Manual he

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/Y...-7700_serv.pdf

If it is mechanical, it may be jammed on something caught in the gears, or perhaps the gears have slipped. Otherwise, you may need to replace the part.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Cursitor Doom[_4_] June 10th 19 07:32 PM

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 05:32:13 -0700, wrote:

If it is mechanical, it may be jammed on something caught in the gears,
or perhaps the gears have slipped. Otherwise, you may need to replace
the part.

If the main bearing is badly worn, then those teeth can come out of mesh.
I've had this with a Trio TS530s. It's a simple matter to reset the
gears, but if the worn bearing isn't dealt with beforehand it'll come out
of mesh again pretty quickly.

Lucifer[_6_] June 11th 19 05:10 AM

Yaesu FRG-7700 Tuning dial mechanical fault

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 18:32:07 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 05:32:13 -0700, wrote:

If it is mechanical, it may be jammed on something caught in the gears,
or perhaps the gears have slipped. Otherwise, you may need to replace
the part.

If the main bearing is badly worn, then those teeth can come out of mesh.
I've had this with a Trio TS530s. It's a simple matter to reset the
gears, but if the worn bearing isn't dealt with beforehand it'll come out
of mesh again pretty quickly.

It works properly up to about 800Khz. Further rotation of the dial
is possible but the frequency on the digital readout and the part
around the dial do not go any higher.
Hopefully when I take the cover off I will be able to fix it.