Old June 5th 19, 04:35 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default crappy laptop company

I had to hound Lenovo for months to get a warranty service on my failed
less than 1 year old laptop from them, because there was never a
serial number installed on the enclosure anywhere when it was
manufactured, and the BIOS was inaccessible due to it being a internal
PSU failure where the PC wouldn't even power on.

Eventually after harassing them for a long time, being denied service by
their local brick-and-mortar service center who treated me like a
criminal, filing a dispute with my credit card company, etc. I managed
to get someone's attention who didn't completely treat me like a
criminal just for wanting the contractual repair I'm obligated to on
their failed product. so it's finally on its way back and here's part of
what they wrote:

"The system board was replaced along with the base cover. We are not
able to provide a serial number sticker, but my technician wrote the
serial number: (redacted) on the base cover."

Lol they can't even print up a real replacement sticker they used marker
or something.

Also:

"During his diagnosis of your machine, he says it looks like you may
have tried to install Linux or some other non-Windows operating system.
Installing an operating system other than Windows10 (Lenovo Preload) is
not supported."

Yeah, that's why the PSU board ****ing failed, Linux made it happen.

be the last machine I buy from this company just avoid these **** heads.

Old June 5th 19, 04:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/5/19 11:35 AM, bitrex wrote:

"During his diagnosis of your machine, he says it looks like you may
have tried to install Linux or some other non-Windows operating system.
Installing an operating system other than Windows10 (Lenovo Preload) is
not supported."

Yeah, that's why the PSU board ****ing failed, Linux made it happen.

be the last machine I buy from this company just avoid these **** heads.

It's too bad ThinkPad used to be a quality product when IBM made them
but it's just bargain basement zombie-brand China junk, now.
Old June 5th 19, 11:43 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/06/2019 11:37 pm, bitrex wrote:
On 6/5/19 11:35 AM, bitrex wrote:

"During his diagnosis of your machine, he says it looks like you may
have tried to install Linux or some other non-Windows operating
system. Installing an operating system other than Windows10 (Lenovo
Preload) is not supported."

Yeah, that's why the PSU board ****ing failed, Linux made it happen.

be the last machine I buy from this company just avoid these **** heads.

It's too bad ThinkPad used to be a quality product when IBM made them
but it's just bargain basement zombie-brand China junk, now.

HMMM, you buy cheap you get cheap ??
Old June 6th 19, 12:19 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/5/19 11:35 AM, bitrex wrote:

"During his diagnosis of your machine, he says it looks like you may
have tried to install Linux or some other non-Windows operating
system. Installing an operating system other than Windows10 (Lenovo
Preload) is not supported."

Yeah, that's why the PSU board ****ing failed, Linux made it happen.

be the last machine I buy from this company just avoid these **** heads.

It's too bad ThinkPad used to be a quality product when IBM made them
but it's just bargain basement zombie-brand China junk, now.

HMMM, you buy cheap you get cheap ??

They're not even that cheap
Old June 6th 19, 12:21 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/5/19 11:35 AM, bitrex wrote:

"During his diagnosis of your machine, he says it looks like you may
have tried to install Linux or some other non-Windows operating
system. Installing an operating system other than Windows10 (Lenovo
Preload) is not supported."

Yeah, that's why the PSU board ****ing failed, Linux made it happen.

be the last machine I buy from this company just avoid these **** heads.

It's too bad ThinkPad used to be a quality product when IBM made them
but it's just bargain basement zombie-brand China junk, now.

HMMM, you buy cheap you get cheap ??

"bargain basement" was a commentary on the quality not the price,
rather, they're not even that much cheaper as compared to competing
products in the same class from e.g. Asus, IMO a better supplier in most
respects based in Taiwan.

Old June 6th 19, 01:54 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/5/19 11:35 AM, bitrex wrote:

"During his diagnosis of your machine, he says it looks like you may
have tried to install Linux or some other non-Windows operating
system. Installing an operating system other than Windows10 (Lenovo
Preload) is not supported."

Yeah, that's why the PSU board ****ing failed, Linux made it happen.

be the last machine I buy from this company just avoid these ****
heads.

It's too bad ThinkPad used to be a quality product when IBM made them
but it's just bargain basement zombie-brand China junk, now.

HMMM, you buy cheap you get cheap ??

"bargain basement" was a commentary on the quality not the price,
rather, they're not even that much cheaper as compared to competing
products in the same class from e.g. Asus, IMO a better supplier in most
respects based in Taiwan.

Yup, still most of neg raps come dissatisfied users but not much from
the satisfied ones.
Old June 6th 19, 02:10 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/5/19 11:35 AM, bitrex wrote:

[...]

Mostly a slam at their US-based service. Under IBM I'm sure it was
pretty good for the product. this repair case was sent to their main US
center and they can't even print up a replacement serial # sticker (for
the one that was never affixed at the factory.)

they're using marker. marker!

you're using coconuts! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XPnIUtcANg
Old June 6th 19, 06:36 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/5/19 11:35 AM, bitrex wrote:

[...]

Actually I've got a couple of their PC's and they seem well made and
easy to service / modify.
Old June 7th 19, 03:00 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/06/2019 3:35 AM, bitrex wrote:
[...]

You didn't say what model laptop it was. Lenovo, like all of the big laptop manufacturers make a
range of models to a range of price-points. If the unit that failed was one of their cheap retail
consumer models (and the fact it was purchased from a shop rather than directly suggests it was)
it's unfair to then say "avoid these **** heads" based on a single experience concerning a base model.

The lack of serial number suggests that it may be a 'grey market' unit possibly originally
manufactured to be sold in a developing country for peanuts and then imported to wherever you live.
Also that it's only warranted for the original OS points to a low-end unit. The fact that the
internal PSU PCB failed also brings into question what external PSU was used with it, whether it
was an OEM brick or maybe something else.

Lenovo, like Dell and others make some great laptops that are durable and have excellent warranty
coverage but you won't find them in the shelves of your local big-box store. They're usually
available only from the manufacturer directly and cost more than their retail stuff but are well
supported and often give a decade or more of trouble-free use. These are usually supplied with a
choice of OS or even with no OS installed (and still warrantied).

You get what you pay for. That said I buy ex-lease Dell corporate stuff, usually three years old
and usually still with two years warranty and for a lot less money than the punters pay for new
consumer-grade, engineered to fail at the 15-month mark, 12-month warrantied junk.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Old June 7th 19, 02:04 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 10:00:34 PM UTC-4, ~misfit~ wrote:

You get what you pay for. That said I buy ex-lease Dell corporate stuff, usually three years old
and usually still with two years warranty and for a lot less money than the punters pay for new
consumer-grade, engineered to fail at the 15-month mark, 12-month warrantied junk.
--
Shaun.

How do you find that? I lucked into a corporate quality Dell some time back and have been looking for another without success. Corporations turn their inventory over and dispose of some high quality machines regularly, but I haven't figured out how to tap into that. Even if they're wiped, no operating system, I run Linux and hard drives are cheap.