Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Mystery part on schematic

This website discusses it, but never really identifies the part. This is
the meter I am working on and I too wondered what the SA1 and SA2 parts
are. I never saw that symbol.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums...c.php?t=117824

Schematic on the webpage.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 9:16:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
This website discusses it, but never really identifies the part. This is
the meter I am working on and I too wondered what the SA1 and SA2 parts
are. I never saw that symbol.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums...c.php?t=117824

Schematic on the webpage.

Wild guess: spark gaps for protection.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/22/19 8:39 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 9:16:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
This website discusses it, but never really identifies the part. This is
the meter I am working on and I too wondered what the SA1 and SA2 parts
are. I never saw that symbol.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums...c.php?t=117824

Schematic on the webpage.

Wild guess: spark gaps for protection.

Despite posting the forum link where they are identified as Surge
Arresters, Tube Guy posted the "what are they?" question over here.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2019 20:55:03 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 5/22/19 8:39 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 9:16:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
This website discusses it, but never really identifies the part. This is
the meter I am working on and I too wondered what the SA1 and SA2 parts
are. I never saw that symbol.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums...c.php?t=117824

Schematic on the webpage.

Wild guess: spark gaps for protection.

Despite posting the forum link where they are identified as Surge
Arresters, Tube Guy posted the "what are they?" question over here.

No one on that forum CLEARLY said what they are. Just guesses.....
Guesses are not real answers.....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 5/22/19 8:39 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 9:16:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
This website discusses it, but never really identifies the part. This is
the meter I am working on and I too wondered what the SA1 and SA2 parts
are. I never saw that symbol.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums...c.php?t=117824

Schematic on the webpage.

Wild guess: spark gaps for protection.

Despite posting the forum link where they are identified as Surge
Arresters, Tube Guy posted the "what are they?" question over here.

No one on that forum CLEARLY said what they are. Just guesses.....
Guesses are not real answers.....

Some sort of transorb, TVS diode perhaps.
GH
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 5/22/19 8:39 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 9:16:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
This website discusses it, but never really identifies the part. This is
the meter I am working on and I too wondered what the SA1 and SA2 parts
are. I never saw that symbol.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums...c.php?t=117824

Schematic on the webpage.

Wild guess: spark gaps for protection.

Despite posting the forum link where they are identified as Surge
Arresters, Tube Guy posted the "what are they?" question over here.

No one on that forum CLEARLY said what they are. Just guesses.....
Guesses are not real answers.....

Well, here's something 100% accurate: that meter is a piece of **** and of no real value to anyone who requires a good meter and knows how to use one. Total waste of time.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
On 5/22/19 8:39 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 9:16:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:

This website discusses it, but never really identifies the part. This is
the meter I am working on and I too wondered what the SA1 and SA2 parts
are. I never saw that symbol.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums...c.php?t=117824

Schematic on the webpage.

Wild guess: spark gaps for protection.

Despite posting the forum link where they are identified as Surge
Arresters, Tube Guy posted the "what are they?" question over here.

No one on that forum CLEARLY said what they are. Just guesses.....
Guesses are not real answers.....

Well, here's something 100% accurate: that meter is a piece of **** and of no real value to anyone who requires a good meter and knows how to use one. Total waste of time.

I have a whole pile of cheap meters as well as good ones. They're useful IME.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 5/22/19 8:39 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 9:16:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
This website discusses it, but never really identifies the part. This is
the meter I am working on and I too wondered what the SA1 and SA2 parts
are. I never saw that symbol.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums...c.php?t=117824

Schematic on the webpage.

Wild guess: spark gaps for protection.

Despite posting the forum link where they are identified as Surge
Arresters, Tube Guy posted the "what are they?" question over here.

No one on that forum CLEARLY said what they are. Just guesses.....
Guesses are not real answers.....

The first message of the forum link posted by you, clearly stated that the "mistery part" was labeled 39ZR07, and looked like a "disk green cap".

A quick search with Google threw this:

http://www.weisd.com/test/GenericPar...ditid1=39ZR07D

39ZR07D NTE Equvilent NTE1V025 MOV 25V RMS DIA=8.5MM 1.7 JOULES ITM=250A CLAMPING VOLTAGE=80V

https://www.datasheets360.com/part/d...8802698168439/

So it's just a MOV.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 24 May 2019 00:22:54 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Thursday, 23 May 2019 17:33:59 UTC+1, John-Del wrote:
On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 11:25:02 AM UTC-4, tabby wrote:
On Thursday, 23 May 2019 15:08:23 UTC+1, John-Del wrote:

Well, here's something 100% accurate: that meter is a piece of **** and of no real value to anyone who requires a good meter and knows how to use one. Total waste of time.

I have a whole pile of cheap meters as well as good ones. They're useful IME.

Like I said..

clearly not.

FWIW I bought them to dot them around in various places where formerly I'd have had to go fetch a nice meter or forego using one at all. They can go where loss or damage are a risk with little concern. They've saved time & enabled quick easy repairs. I don't normally need accuracy or a CAT 3 rating to get something working. They paid back their cost (2.44 each) in a few days IIRC, an ROI that's hard to beat. Any engineer should be able to undersand the utility of that.

Yes I require accuracy at times, and have the datrons to do that. These tiddlers are not for those occasions.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 12:09:29 PM UTC-7, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I have 4 or 5 of the 'Free' Harbor Freight metes. Verified them against a
Fluke meter that was verified against some very high accurate lab gear. The HF
meters are not that far off and work fine especially for a go/no go test.

My HF meters are all pretty accurate, as long as the battery is fresh. My yellow ones do not have any low-battery indicator, so the only hint is when the readings do not make any sense (which may be a challenge for an inexperienced user).