Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Giant 9volt battery

I've seen pictures but never had a Type B (67.5 volt battery) in hand. I
just got one at an auction in a box of tubes I bought. It looks just
like a giant 9v battery. Same sort of clips on top, just a tad larger.

It's a RCA No. VS 218.

Of course it's dead, but I'm keeping it because it's kind of
historic....

I imagine it dates back to the 1930s or 40s. But there is no leakage and
it's package is clean.

I just calculated. It must contain 45 cells inside its cardboard
container.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 19 April 2019 01:01:35 UTC+1, wrote:

I've seen pictures but never had a Type B (67.5 volt battery) in hand. I
just got one at an auction in a box of tubes I bought. It looks just
like a giant 9v battery. Same sort of clips on top, just a tad larger.

It's a RCA No. VS 218.

Of course it's dead, but I'm keeping it because it's kind of
historic....

I imagine it dates back to the 1930s or 40s. But there is no leakage and
it's package is clean.

I just calculated. It must contain 45 cells inside its cardboard
container.

Some people scan the label so replicas can be made.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

As a slight digression, besides that Westinghouse tube portable radio,
one of my relatives had a 1960s era LW/AM/SW transistor portable (in a
fabric covered wood case) made by Reela in France. It used an Ever
Ready (not Eveready) PP11 battery
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...batteries.jpg). This
battery had two separate 4.5V sections but the radio used both in
series. We couldn't locate a stateside source for the battery so we
replaced the battery connector with a standard 9V snap-on. The bands
were selectable via front panel pushbuttons. The selectable bands were
Grandes Ondes (GO) 150-300 kHz, Petites Ondes (PO) 520-1600 kHz and
Ondes Courtes (OC) 5-20 MHz. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: