Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What do you guys use for chassis wiring on old tube gear?

What do you guys use for chassis wiring on old tube gear?

In the old days, when I needed to replace some bad wires in an old tube
radio, I just salvaged some from old tube tv sets. But dont have them
anymore. Looking on places like ebay, I see suitable sized wire, but
most is rated at 300v or usually less. MUCH LESS.

My local hardware stores have "Automotive wire" which is generally
thicker than I need, but also rated at lower voltages than what is in a
lot of tube gear.

Personally, I cant see that thick insulation failing at 500v or so, but
it is a concern.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 6:35:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What do you guys use for chassis wiring on old tube gear?

In the old days, when I needed to replace some bad wires in an old tube
radio, I just salvaged some from old tube tv sets. But dont have them
anymore. Looking on places like ebay, I see suitable sized wire, but
most is rated at 300v or usually less. MUCH LESS.

My local hardware stores have "Automotive wire" which is generally
thicker than I need, but also rated at lower voltages than what is in a
lot of tube gear.

Personally, I cant see that thick insulation failing at 500v or so, but
it is a concern.

Alpha and Belden still appear to manufacture 600V hookup wire. Newark and other industrial suppliers still sell it.

Automotive wire is not designed for high voltage work, but if you like fires, go ahead and use it. The 'thicker insulation' is to prevent abrasion, not to provide insulation for high voltages.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:11:42 -0700 (PDT), Michael Terrell
wrote:

[...]

I generally dont buy from those big industrial companies. Mostly because
they have minimum orders, charge high shipping and handling, and in this
case I imagine I'd have to buy huge spools. At my age, and since this is
just a hobby, I dont want to spend a fortune on wire I'll never use most
of. Plus I'd like an assortment of colors.

Most of the shopping I do for antique parts is from small sellers who
cater to antique restorers, or from ebay. But I have not found any
sellers who sell suitable wire. My ideal would be five or six 25 foot
spools of assorted colors.

One thing that does work, is common house wiring. Most of that is rated
at 600V, but the thinnest gauge is #14. Hard to use because it's too
thick.

Another thing I have done is to strip insulation off house wire, and use
it for "spaghetti" on component leads. That works well.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

I've got no shortage of suitable wire. Maybe mixed selection packs would sell on ebay.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...AmgxE ALw_wcB

If you send a check with the order, they were paying the shipping. I will no longer reply to anything you post.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

I still have some of the ~ 25 thousand feet that I bought 40+ years ago. I paid $10 for more than a 55 gallon drum full of metal 250' spools in many colors. It is now so old that what is left is mostly useless. The same for som reels of RG174 that have dried out and is crumbling bout I got more than the $20 that I spent for what I've used. It is easy to snap the outer insulation, and slip off the tinned braid to use for solder wick.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 6:35:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What do you guys use for chassis wiring on old tube gear?

In the old days, when I needed to replace some bad wires in an old tube
radio, I just salvaged some from old tube tv sets. But dont have them
anymore. Looking on places like ebay, I see suitable sized wire, but
most is rated at 300v or usually less. MUCH LESS.

My local hardware stores have "Automotive wire" which is generally
thicker than I need, but also rated at lower voltages than what is in a
lot of tube gear.

Personally, I cant see that thick insulation failing at 500v or so, but
it is a concern.

MTW is a good choice. Some other options include: TEW (often synonymous with MTW), but also THHN and THWN. Back in the day when I was involved in designing control panels for industrial process control, these were the defaults. You can google the meanings and differences. We used different wire types based on if the panels needed to be UL approved and environmental constraints, etc. For most tube gear, (unless it is going on a sea vehicle) these wire types should be OK. The standard for us was 600V insulation.

Beware of buying wire on ebay (and other places such as home depot, etc)...most of the wire is copper clad aluminum which, IMHO, should be avoided. Pain to solder, does not make a good crimp connection.
(given this group, I am sure someone will wanna go to the mat on this point....lol. To each their own)
John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 6:35:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What do you guys use for chassis wiring on old tube gear?

In the old days, when I needed to replace some bad wires in an old tube
radio, I just salvaged some from old tube tv sets. But dont have them
anymore. Looking on places like ebay, I see suitable sized wire, but
most is rated at 300v or usually less. MUCH LESS.

My local hardware stores have "Automotive wire" which is generally
thicker than I need, but also rated at lower voltages than what is in a
lot of tube gear.

Personally, I cant see that thick insulation failing at 500v or so, but
it is a concern.

Alpha and Belden are good mfg of wire (as noted earlier). Also, check out Carol Cable. I consider these three to be of the best wire/cable quality.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 16, 2019, three_jeeps wrote
(in ):

Beware of buying wire on ebay (and other places such as home depot,
etc)...most of the wire is copper clad aluminum which, IMHO, should be
avoided. Pain to solder, does not make a good crimp connection.
(given this group, I am sure someone will wanna go to the mat on this
point...lol. To each their own)
John

I bought a mains cable that would be attracted by a magnet. Iron wire is one
of Chinas latest cheap modes.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 16, 2019, Michael Terrell wrote
(in ):

Hookup wire is typically 20 AWG, and is often solid wire. I posted a link to
a kit of six, 225' rolls for $16. that 19 strand wire is probably THHN with a
nylon overjacket, like I used for commercial fire alarms. It is not suitable
for point to point wiring on a chassis, unless you are not capable of doing
anything right.

Look at MTW or TEW. Its not THHN. THHN has fewer strands and has the clear
jacket over the poly insulation that makes it a BEAR to use in tight spaces.
THe clear jacket is to provide extra protection when pulling through conduit
and those wonderful pull €śels€ť.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 4:12:10 PM UTC-4, Spare Change wrote:
On Apr 16, 2019, three_jeeps wrote
(in ):

Beware of buying wire on ebay (and other places such as home depot,
etc)...most of the wire is copper clad aluminum which, IMHO, should be
avoided. Pain to solder, does not make a good crimp connection.
(given this group, I am sure someone will wanna go to the mat on this
point...lol. To each their own)
John

I bought a mains cable that would be attracted by a magnet. Iron wire is one
of Chinas latest cheap modes.

Wonderful, I wonder who is responsible for letting this junk in? We used to have standards that were applied at some higher level, but they are being undermined and ultimately the end user has to be very well aware of the product details. Personally, if not easily found in 1-2 mouse clicks, it is off my list...lol
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Terrell wrote:
If you send a check with the order, [DigiKey was] paying the shipping.

One kink I found out: they want to charge you the state sales tax in the
destination state if you do this. I needed *one* wall-wart a while back,
so I mailed them a check. They duly shipped the wart, along with a
nastygram that I owed them 35 cents, or whatever it was.

Matt Roberds

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Terrell wrote:
If you send a check with the order, [DigiKey was] paying the shipping.

One kink I found out: they want to charge you the state sales tax in the
destination state if you do this. I needed *one* wall-wart a while back,
so I mailed them a check. They duly shipped the wart, along with a
nastygram that I owed them 35 cents, or whatever it was.

Matt Roberds

I doubt to OP even has a checking account, or that he would spend the $17 to do anything right.

They state that you have to pay any taxes on their website.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 18/4/19 11:41 am, Michael Terrell wrote:
Michael Terrell wrote:
If you send a check with the order, [DigiKey was] paying the shipping.

One kink I found out: they want to charge you the state sales tax in the
destination state if you do this. I needed *one* wall-wart a while back,
so I mailed them a check. They duly shipped the wart, along with a
nastygram that I owed them 35 cents, or whatever it was.

Matt Roberds

I doubt to OP even has a checking account, or that he would spend the $17 to do anything right.

LOL at "checking account". One old-timer laughing at another.

The rest of the world stopped using them almost entirely like two
decades ago. I mean we still have them, we just never need to use them
in the 21st century.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 12:18:23 AM UTC-4, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 18/4/19 11:41 am, Michael Terrell wrote:

I doubt to OP even has a checking account, or that he would spend the $17 to do anything right.

LOL at "checking account". One old-timer laughing at another.

The rest of the world stopped using them almost entirely like two
decades ago. I mean we still have them, we just never need to use them
in the 21st century.

I still use them to pay my property taxes and a few other bills that add a surcharge to process my debit card. I haven't been able to set up automatic payments for my new truck yet, so that is paid by check until that is ready.

Old Tube TV Keeps Changing Channel to Channel 2: Hitachi CT-1955NP85XA Chassis / 19" Color-1984 Purchase [email protected] Electronics Repair 20 August 26th 17 10:40 PM
You guys were right!! (was "gear motor powering VS bandsaw") Craig Metalworking 7 January 13th 16 11:16 AM
What kinds of plywood do you usually use ? What end use do you use plywood for ? Mason Pan Woodworking 12 September 13th 07 02:41 AM
Use the chassis of a TV set (without picture tube) as a video souce John Electronics Repair 17 April 10th 07 08:42 PM
"TUBE GUYS" - Found this Pocket tube Tester In the Rafters - Please comment Bobby Longsocks Electronics Repair 14 June 24th 04 09:03 PM