Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default VFD and line reactor

I have a small VFD, Huanyang model HY02D223B that is powering a sub
spindle that I added to a CNC lathe. I have not interfaced the VFD
with the CNC control and don't plan to. The manual says a line reactor
should be used for power factor correction. It should be capable of
handling 12 amps at 250 volts, have 2.5 mH inductance, and 5%
impedence.
Besides power factor correction does the line reactor do anything
else that might prevent any problems? Such as stopping any noise that
might interfere with and CNC machines that are wired into the same
circuit breaker panel?
I don't really care much about the power factor correction right
now. My power company won't charge me less if the power factor is
corrected, I just don't use that much juice.
Virtually all the line reactors I see for sale are 3 phase models.
I am powering the VFD with single phase but could use 3 phase. Do all
lines running to the VFD need to go through a line reactor for proper
operation?
I could use 3 phase to power the VFD or maybe I could just use 2 of
the three windings in a 3 phase reactor. I dont know if that would
work so I am asking here.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://www.coilws.com/index.php?main...&cPath=208_292

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:09:03 -0700, etpm wrote:

Besides power factor correction does the line reactor do anything
else that might prevent any problems? Such as stopping any noise that
might interfere with and CNC machines that are wired into the same
circuit breaker panel?

Yes, I had a few pieces of computer-type gear that were affected by a VFD
on my CNC mill. I put a heavy-duty commercial line filter box on it, and
all the interference went away. This is an LC filter, not just a reactor.
I found a suitable filter in my junk.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:32:31 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:09:03 -0700, etpm wrote:

Besides power factor correction does the line reactor do anything
else that might prevent any problems? Such as stopping any noise that
might interfere with and CNC machines that are wired into the same
circuit breaker panel?

Yes, I had a few pieces of computer-type gear that were affected by a VFD
on my CNC mill. I put a heavy-duty commercial line filter box on it, and
all the interference went away. This is an LC filter, not just a reactor.
I found a suitable filter in my junk.

Jon

Thanks Jon. As it happens I have an LC filter I removed from an old
CNC mill. Made by RK Electric. There is a schematic on the front that
shows three 220 ohm resistors all connected together at one end in a
star formation. The other end of each resistor is connected to a .47
mfd cap. From the other end of each cap is a wire. The device is rated
at 600 volts. I don't know how to use it but I imagine it is just
connected across the three incoming power wires. With single phase can
just any two wires be used?
Thanks again,
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I meant Wye connection. Looking online I see that it is a surge
suppressor. Oops. Anyway, it shows the device connected across the
motor wires. They do sell single phase ones too and I may have a
couple. The manual shows the reactor being connected to the incoming
power leads so I guess an LC filter should be too. Especially since
the VFD manual says to not connect anything across the output.
Switches and capacitors are specifically mentioned.
Eric

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:09:03 -0700, etpm wrote:

Besides power factor correction does the line reactor do anything
else that might prevent any problems? Such as stopping any noise that
might interfere with and CNC machines that are wired into the same
circuit breaker panel?

Yes, I had a few pieces of computer-type gear that were affected by a VFD
on my CNC mill. I put a heavy-duty commercial line filter box on it, and
all the interference went away. This is an LC filter, not just a reactor.
I found a suitable filter in my junk.

Jon

Ditto here. It's difficult to see the filters, there are 6 Corcom
line filters in this mess that isolate the servo driver boxes from the
power line. Two filters are partially visible under the tangle of
cables between the upper two boxes. There's also a power line filter
going to the controller:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/CNC-conversion/slides/CNC-conversion-02-001.html
Mo
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/CNC-conversion/
I have no idea if they were really necessary because I insisted that
they be included in the initial build and never tried to run any jobs
without them.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D