Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How do they put the flux in solder?

I have a box of 18 gauge solder that says it has 5 cores. Putting one
core in solder that thin seems impossible. and this has five. How do
they make it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 1:24:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I have a box of 18 gauge solder that says it has 5 cores. Putting one
core in solder that thin seems impossible. and this has five. How do
they make it?

A lot like putting stripes on toothpaste, which is also clearly impossible.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2019/03/15 3:25 a.m., whit3rd wrote:
On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 1:24:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I have a box of 18 gauge solder that says it has 5 cores. Putting one
core in solder that thin seems impossible. and this has five. How do
they make it?

A lot like putting stripes on toothpaste, which is also clearly impossible.

I'm still trying to figure out how they put the filling in the Cadbury
Caramel bars...

John ;-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It starts, as you suggest, as a much larger tube, and then is drawn to the correct diameter.

https://static.makeuseof.com/wp-cont...er-640x240.jpg Is a picture of single-core solder. 5-core takes a little bit more care, and will not be possible with the more brittle formulas.

The key is keeping the tin/lead admixture annealed during the entire drawing process, yet not so warm as to melt. Noble metals do much better at this than others, and lead is very nearly a metaloid in any case - so this is not a casual exercise. The multiple cores serve to spread the rosin more evenly, so it is not just hype.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:20:08 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how they put the filling in the Cadbury
Caramel bars...

Form the caramel bars, freeze them, dip in a vat of hot chocolate and lay
flat on a cold surface until set?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2019/03/15 1:17 p.m., Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:20:08 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how they put the filling in the Cadbury
Caramel bars...

Form the caramel bars, freeze them, dip in a vat of hot chocolate and lay
flat on a cold surface until set?

There was an musical ad in the 70s that asked that question as I
recall...but I can't remember how it went other something like "How do
they put the caramel in Cadbury's bar?"

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 15 March 2019 20:17:53 UTC, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:20:08 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how they put the filling in the Cadbury
Caramel bars...

Form the caramel bars, freeze them, dip in a vat of hot chocolate and lay
flat on a cold surface until set?

"An enrober operates by first dipping the bottom part of a confection in a bath of liquid (chocolate is the primary coating used with such equipment). The item then passes through a curtain of liquid to complete the task."

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 14:37:57 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Friday, 15 March 2019 20:17:53 UTC, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:20:08 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how they put the filling in the
Cadbury Caramel bars...

Form the caramel bars, freeze them, dip in a vat of hot chocolate and
lay flat on a cold surface until set?

"An enrober operates by first dipping the bottom part of a confection in
a bath of liquid (chocolate is the primary coating used with such
equipment). The item then passes through a curtain of liquid to complete
the task."

Yes, that makes sense, both as a way to get a coating on the underside
and of the shape or the top and side coating.

Do you know whether the core needs to be chilled? I'm just thinking that
some fillings are very soft and that chilling them would stop them
deforming while being coated and then while the chocolate is setting.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 15 March 2019 21:58:20 UTC, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

Some fillings are chilled - ice cream certainly has to be

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/16/19 5:14 AM, wrote:
[...]

Jearl Walker did an Amateur Scientist article on 'frozen Floridas',
which are sort of inside-out Baked Alaska--solid chocolate with liqueur
inside that you heat in the microwave.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

As interesting as all this confectioners lore is, it has
absolutely NOTHING to do with flux cored solder....

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 18:54:17 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

As interesting as all this confectioners lore is, it has
absolutely NOTHING to do with flux cored solder....

I don't think that's true. Why, just the other day I was brushing my
teeth with striped toothpaste after eating some some hard candy discs
that had a valentine heart shape that went clean through the candy and
it got me to thinking about multi core solder and how they make the
stuff. So there.
Eric

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how they put the filling in the Cadbury
Caramel bars...

This sort of gets off the topic of solder, but others explained that
fairly well. however I imagine they fill the candy the same way jelly
filled donut (sweet rolls) are filled. I once asked a baker how they do
it, and he said it's injected with a device similar to a syringe. A
plastic point is shoved into the donut and the jelly injected.

A large object like a donut or candy seems a lot more easy than that
thin solder.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Phil Hobbs wrote:

AFAIK the two usual methods for that sort of job are co-extrusion (as in
Blackpool Rock candy sticks, where the writing went all the way through
from one end to the other) and drawing down a preform through a
succession of wire dies. For solder, drawing down would be my guess.

I believe your guess is correct. I saw a marketing blurb by Ersin
Multicore, talking about their process, and they specifically
mentioned the use of a progressively-smaller series of dies.

They said that some "fake" multi-core solder (by their competitors)
uses a single nozzle with five openings to extrude the flux. Although
they didn't say so specifically, this implies to me that their own
process uses five separate nozzles as part of the initial extrusion
process.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 18 March 2019 20:08:08 UTC, Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
Phil Hobbs wrote:

AFAIK the two usual methods for that sort of job are co-extrusion (as in
Blackpool Rock candy sticks, where the writing went all the way through
from one end to the other) and drawing down a preform through a
succession of wire dies. For solder, drawing down would be my guess.

I believe your guess is correct. I saw a marketing blurb by Ersin
Multicore, talking about their process, and they specifically
mentioned the use of a progressively-smaller series of dies.

They said that some "fake" multi-core solder (by their competitors)
uses a single nozzle with five openings to extrude the flux. Although

there's more than 1 way to interpret that.

they didn't say so specifically, this implies to me that their own
process uses five separate nozzles as part of the initial extrusion
process.

surely it doesn't imply that. Any why and in what sense would another mfrs 5 core solder be 'fake'?

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I often care less about the how than I am about the "who"..

For example, who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 19/03/2019 16:49, John-Del wrote:
I often care less about the how than I am about the "who"..

For example, who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

And here lies the problem. Far too much reality shows on TV, and every
other craft television show is made intentionally (well, at least here
in the UK) devoid of technical content, so the audience can be shown yet
another "who" instead of "how". Andy Warhol was right.

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 3:44:17 PM UTC-4, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 19/03/2019 16:49, John-Del wrote:
I often care less about the how than I am about the "who"..

For example, who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

And here lies the problem. Far too much reality shows on TV, and every
other craft television show is made intentionally (well, at least here
in the UK) devoid of technical content, so the audience can be shown yet
another "who" instead of "how". Andy Warhol was right.

--
Adrian C

I hope you're not suggesting that the UK has more mindless drivel "reality" shows than we do here in the Colonies. Them's fighting words.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 16/03/2019 6:20 am, John Robertson wrote:
On 2019/03/15 3:25 a.m., whit3rd wrote:
On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 1:24:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I have a box of 18 gauge solder that says it has 5 cores. Putting one
core in solder that thin seems impossible. and this has five. How do
they make it?

A lot like putting stripes on toothpaste, which is also clearly
impossible.

I'm still trying to figure out how they put the filling in the Cadbury
Caramel bars...

John ;-#)#

**Cadbury chocolate. :PUKE:
Not the worst chocolate on the planet (that honour goes to Hershey, or
some of the Asian makers), but not far behind. They generally make
pretty decent TV ads though. Gotta give 'em that. Loved the gorilla one.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

---