Old March 15th 19, 09:32 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default dual-dual potentiometer failure?

On Friday, 15 March 2019 02:45:19 UTC, bitrex wrote:
On 03/14/2019 03:52 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 12:20:27 PM UTC-4, bitrex wrote:
On 03/14/2019 08:26 AM,
wrote:

Behringer is known as the "Pep Boys"of studio equipment.

A mechanical impact to the knob may be a common factor that damaged both channels of the pot.

Mmmhmm. I've pulled 'em and opened them up and the phenolic contact
boards inside are both cracked right in half.

That'll do it.

transplant time.

NT

Old March 15th 19, 06:57 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , bitrex wrote:

A mechanical impact to the knob may be a common factor that damaged both channels of the pot.

I think we might have our suspect, here. I took a closer look at the
pots and I overlooked it initially. It's subtle but the metal housings
of both have some slight bending/warping that the other, more recessed
pots don't. Looks very much like impact damage to me.

I'll swap them out and see what happens.

I picked up a nice subwoofer system with integrated amp at a local
electronics flea-market last year, for about 15% of the original
price. The seller said "It works fine, but the volume adjustment knob
is missing." It wasn't just the knob - the whole potentiometer shaft
was snapped off, inside the mounting flange. Tried it when I got it
home, and the amp powered up but wouldn't play any music.

When I opened up the amp I found the dual pot bent backwards and
smashed up - both halves were open-circuit. Apparently somebody had
struck the pot knob quite hard, somehow, and completely wrecked it.

I removed it and tacked a couple of resistors into place to simulate a
mid-scale setting on each channel, and the amp came back to life and
the subwoofer worked. A $6 purchase from eBay, for a package of three
dual-section 20k linear pots of the right size, and another session of
soldering, and the subwoofer was as-good-as-new. Works beautifully,
alongside my heavily-refurbished (from-the-same-flea-market) Minimus
77 speakers and refurbished (also-from-the-same-flea-market) Proton
receiver and (made-almost-entirely-from-recycled-and-eBay-parts)
Raspberry Pi media streaming player.