Old March 14th 19, 10:25 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Annual Spring Cautionary Post

On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 13:17:35 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 9:08:05 AM UTC-4, tabby wrote:

though not all fact. You forgot another popular nasty: nails. Standing on up-pointing nails is one of those activities that's not great fun either..

Can't remember the last time I wore sandals and/or went barefoot rooting through a dumpster, barn, cellar, basement or other such location of unknown antecedents. And when in that mode, usually a very good flashlight, insect repellent, and often a hard-hat. The nail sticking through the floor above, or the nail sticking out of a joist is no fun at all.

Another demonstration that Common Sense isn't.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Up-pointing nails often go through ordinary shoes & boots well enough. Anyone scavenging anything ought to know that.

NT

Old March 14th 19, 10:26 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 13:59:35 UTC, N_Cook wrote:

And the perennial one, electrocution.
The first time for me, in the UK so 240V.
Aged perhaps 6 or 8 years old, I decided to unscrew the bakelite
hemisphere of the dangling light switch. I assume it was off, but
presumably learnt the hard way, that if something is off , then its not
necessarily safe.
Second time was as an electronics student, in same house as another

so you must be writing from beyond the grave
Old March 14th 19, 12:17 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 5:25:26 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Tabby:

I, too, can describe any of dozens of catastrophic conditions combined with a fundamental lack of common sense that will give bad results. Such a list would run to the point where eyes start to glaze over, and the basic message will be lost.

The basic message is: Be Careful. Be Aware.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old March 14th 19, 12:19 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 4:38:17 PM UTC-4, Peter Jason wrote:
On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 05:43:22 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

Although not many here are scroungers or scavengers, perhaps there are enough to merit this post. I have pulled any number of gems out of dumpsters, barn sales and yard sales, in any case. This applies mostly to the continental United States, but I am sure similar perils lurk everywhere. So:

Fructose & corn syrup.
****s the liver, induces obesity, kills more
people than the bugs.

Its all sugar, and in moderation, no worse than starch, alcohol, apples, oranges, cherries and cantaloupe.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old March 14th 19, 06:13 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2019/03/14 4:17 a.m., wrote:
[...]

I appreciate your annual awareness posts Peter, even if others want to
drift out of perspective.

John ;-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Old March 14th 19, 08:49 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Don't forget hurricane season is upon us. I don't know how people survive connecting a generator with those suicide cords, but they look like a Darwin award waiting to happen.

running a generator indoors is a great thing.....

you will have electricity for the rest of your life!

Old March 15th 19, 02:57 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 7:17:17 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Do poisonous snakes like curling up in old radio speakers in barns?
Old March 15th 19, 12:21 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 9:57:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Do poisonous snakes like curling up in old radio speakers in barns?

For that, three things would have to happen:

a) That there are poisonous snakes in the area.
b) That they are tolerant of humans and human odors.
c) That there is sufficient prey in the immediate area that they should go there in the first place.

Here in the US, and specifically, here in the mid-Atlantic area, there are poisonous snakes - being Eastern Diamondbacks (exceedingly rare),Timber Rattlesnakes, and Massasauga Rattlesnakes (rare) and copperheads. Of the four, only the copperhead will be found near human habitation, and then, only if near water of some nature. Each and every one is far more afraid of people than we should be of them. And, only the copperhead is aggressive when approached. The others, only when cornered.

In my many years in this area, I have had to kill only one (1) rattlesnake (Timber), as it had take up residence on a favorite walking path for us and for our dogs and despite much encouragement over several weeks, would not be moved. That our neighbor, on whose property it lived, also had small children made the task easier.

Now, black snakes, racers and any of several other non-poisonous snakes are quite happy to reside near and with humans - we are filthy creatures in their eyes and bring lots of good food/vermin with us. And, the state of ignorance being what it is, there are those who would mistake a corn snake for a copperhead.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1546024104

http://www.herpnet.net/Iowa-Herpetol...-Van-Buren.jpg

This is not to suggest it would never happen, but that snake in that speaker is far more likely to be a harmless variety than one poisonous - at least here in the US in pit-viper territory. Coral snakes (Southeast and Southwest) would almost never be seen, and almost never be found anywhere near humans. Their needs are so specific as to make that barn radio speaker physically untenable.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old March 17th 19, 05:06 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 7:21:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Well, great!! All that makes things sound a little safer. Its just that I recently saw this quote around the internet: "About 25 species of venomous (poisonous) snakes are native to the United States" and I got to wondering (as anyone would) about old barns that no one has set foot in since 1982, etc...

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post geoff UK diy 63 October 16th 12 03:15 PM
Cautionary chimney story [email protected] UK diy 4 November 23rd 05 10:06 AM
Jump leads -- a cautionary tale news UK diy 78 October 26th 05 10:22 AM
MFI (a cautionary tale) R UK diy 22 August 5th 05 08:37 PM
Annual Spring Fine Arts and Crafts Show & Sale (Seattle - MagnusonPark) Bill Woodturning 2 April 9th 05 06:52 AM