Old March 6th 19, 10:02 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hacking a laser tape measure

A neat cheap little 50m range (checked true) measurer, would it be
possible to change the f crystal to hopefully f/3 or so and get 150m range.
Assuming (looks possible) to split send and receive and enlarge the 15mm
capture window to 150mm window.
Also assuming I can identify which is the crystal and is not integral
with the ASIC, not epoxied over anyway. Would the LCD likely become
unreadable at 1/3 the original drive f. Accuracy would be worse but
decimeter resolution over 150m would be fine

Old March 6th 19, 01:05 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

MY concern would be whether or not the optics would support the longer distance. After all the trouble, you might have just a piece of landfill.

A Bosch device capable of that 150 feet is about US$60 these days, or less. And a cheaper off-brand device may be had for less than US$30.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old March 6th 19, 06:24 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6-3-2019 10:02, N_Cook wrote:
A neat cheap little 50m range (checked true) measurer, would it be
possible to change the f crystal to hopefully f/3 or so and get 150m range.
Assuming (looks possible) to split send and receive and enlarge the 15mm
capture window to 150mm window.
Also assuming I can identify which is the crystal and is not integral
with the ASIC, not epoxied over anyway. Would the LCD likely become
unreadable at 1/3 the original drive f. Accuracy would be worse but
decimeter resolution over 150m would be fine

return power on the detector will be 81 times less than it is right now,
(twice the square law), so I think you are out of luck.

Old March 6th 19, 07:13 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 6 March 2019 17:24:57 UTC, Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 6-3-2019 10:02, N_Cook wrote:

A neat cheap little 50m range (checked true) measurer, would it be
possible to change the f crystal to hopefully f/3 or so and get 150m range.
Assuming (looks possible) to split send and receive and enlarge the 15mm
capture window to 150mm window.
Also assuming I can identify which is the crystal and is not integral
with the ASIC, not epoxied over anyway. Would the LCD likely become
unreadable at 1/3 the original drive f. Accuracy would be worse but
decimeter resolution over 150m would be fine

return power on the detector will be 81 times less than it is right now,
(twice the square law), so I think you are out of luck.

hence the larger window, 100x the area.

NT
Old March 6th 19, 10:22 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 9:24:57 AM UTC-8, Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 6-3-2019 10:02, N_Cook wrote:
A neat cheap little 50m range (checked true) measurer... enlarge the 15mm
capture window to 150mm window....Accuracy would be worse but
decimeter resolution over 150m would be fine

return power on the detector will be 81 times less than it is right now,
(twice the square law), so I think you are out of luck.

You might consider using a retroreflective surface as your target (there's
corner-cubes, bike reflectors, or Scotchlite products available).
Old March 7th 19, 03:26 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 3:29:10 AM UTC-5, Mike Coon wrote:

BTW Does the bigger window have a lens to concentrate the flux onto the
same sensor?

Whatever the intent - this is a perfect example of running down the proverbial rabbit-hole. Even if entirely possible, the results are dubious and the utility of the equipment destroyed except as a curiosity.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old March 7th 19, 06:24 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 06:26:35 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 3:29:10 AM UTC-5, Mike Coon wrote:

BTW Does the bigger window have a lens to concentrate the flux onto the
same sensor?

Whatever the intent - this is a perfect example of running down the proverbial rabbit-hole. Even if entirely possible, the results are dubious and the utility of the equipment destroyed except as a curiosity.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

We don't know yet if the laser measure will work. Whether its utility
is destroyed or not. In fact, it seems to be working so far. I'm glad
he is posting his experiments.
Eric