Old March 7th 19, 07:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hacking a laser tape measure

On 06/03/2019 21:22, whit3rd wrote:
On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 9:24:57 AM UTC-8, Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 6-3-2019 10:02, N_Cook wrote:
A neat cheap little 50m range (checked true) measurer... enlarge the 15mm
capture window to 150mm window....Accuracy would be worse but
decimeter resolution over 150m would be fine

return power on the detector will be 81 times less than it is right now,
(twice the square law), so I think you are out of luck.

You might consider using a retroreflective surface as your target (there's
corner-cubes, bike reflectors, or Scotchlite products available).

That reminded me one of these was laying neglected in the store, broken
power supply ISTR.

http://www.aga-museum.nl/page/geodimeter-model-12-

the 14 version.
I dug it out and opened it up before trying to power up.
1978/79 CMOS and TTL and a rat's nest of after-thought/fudge flying
components, despite OEM. Mini Nixi tubes I think rather than the pre-7
segment LED, electroluminescent displays , or perhaps mini CC display,
difficult to view.
Looking at the manual the original spec was up to 60km range with
exceptionaly clear visibility it says ,and requiring one of those
multi-prism reflectors , they left on the moon.
I'd still rather mod a new replaceable DIY unit than this EDM that
should be in a museum.

Old March 7th 19, 07:38 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 12:17:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:

We don't know yet if the laser measure will work. Whether its utility
is destroyed or not. In fact, it seems to be working so far. I'm glad
he is posting his experiments.

Eric:

I am writing from the perspective of one who must rely on accurate measurements for revenue, and whose instruments are calibrated to this end.

For the purposes of a hobby - that is an entirely different matter.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA