Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 4th 19, 08:26 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 45
Default Apple Xserve 2009 dual quad core has no power on second CPU

The server works as a single CPU unit but I want it all to work.
There are two LEDs on the main board to show power on each
CPU. The LEDs for CPU two are not lit.

2009 Intel Xserve (latest). Dual quad core Intel Xeon, 12 gigs
RAM, 900 GB SAS HD.

  #2   Report Post  
Old March 4th 19, 11:09 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2016
Posts: 149
Default Apple Xserve 2009 dual quad core has no power on second CPU

First check there are physically 2 CPU.
Either on the board ans in the BIOS (and activated).

Lucifer a √©crit le 04/03/2019 √* 09:26¬*:
The server works as a single CPU unit but I want it all to work.
There are two LEDs on the main board to show power on each
CPU. The LEDs for CPU two are not lit.

2009 Intel Xserve (latest). Dual quad core Intel Xeon, 12 gigs
RAM, 900 GB SAS HD.


  #3   Report Post  
Old March 4th 19, 09:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 45
Default Apple Xserve 2009 dual quad core has no power on second CPU

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:09:19 +0100, Look165
wrote:


Lucifer a ťcrit le 04/03/2019 ŗ 09:26*:
The server works as a single CPU unit but I want it all to work.
There are two LEDs on the main board to show power on each
CPU. The LEDs for CPU two are not lit.


First check there are physically 2 CPU.


There are, and two lots of RAM.

Either on the board ans in the BIOS (and activated).


No BIOS. It's an Apple.
  #4   Report Post  
Old March 5th 19, 12:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2017
Posts: 322
Default Apple Xserve 2009 dual quad core has no power on second CPU

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 4:32:19 PM UTC-5, Lucifer wrote:
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:09:19 +0100, Look165
wrote:


Lucifer a √©crit le 04/03/2019 √* 09:26¬*:
The server works as a single CPU unit but I want it all to work.
There are two LEDs on the main board to show power on each
CPU. The LEDs for CPU two are not lit.


First check there are physically 2 CPU.


There are, and two lots of RAM.

Either on the board ans in the BIOS (and activated).


No BIOS. It's an Apple.



The next step is determining if both CPUs are fed from the same source, or if there are two separate buck converters on the board for each. You might be able to see two identical converter circuits in the same proximity to each CPU.
  #5   Report Post  
Old March 5th 19, 12:43 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Default Apple Xserve 2009 dual quad core has no power on second CPU

Lucifer wrote:

No BIOS. It's an Apple.


Was this an ebay special?

Make sure you put a fresh battery in (probably cr2032), there may be no bios
but it still has nvram for configuration settings, backed up by the battery.

A flakey battery (or dead) might screw things up quite a bit. On some Sun
servers, the machine won't even power up.

One other thought, you said something about 12GB ram, kind of an odd amount.

I think that machine is picky about the type and what slots are used. You
can use different sized chips but the pairs have to be matched.

On that machine the slots are arranged like this:

1 5 2 6 3 7 4 8

the ones in slots 1 and 2 have to be matched. (first pair)
the ones in slots 3 and 4 have to be matched. (second pair)
the ones in slots 5 and 6 have to be matched. (third pair)
the ones in slots 7 and 8 have to be matched. (forth pair)

To make life simple, if you know for a fact you have 4 identical simms, just
use them in 1-2-3-4 and leave 5-6-7-8 empty.

I'm not sure if the mixed sizes or placement will cause the led not to light
on the one cpu but this is just basic troubleshooting.

Odds are it's "something else" including a bad cpu but the battery and simm
placement is a good starting point.

-bruce



  #6   Report Post  
Old March 6th 19, 01:40 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 45
Default Apple Xserve 2009 dual quad core has no power on second CPU

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 12:43:04 -0000 (UTC), wrote:

Lucifer wrote:

No BIOS. It's an Apple.


Was this an ebay special?

Make sure you put a fresh battery in (probably cr2032), there may be no bios
but it still has nvram for configuration settings, backed up by the battery.

A flakey battery (or dead) might screw things up quite a bit. On some Sun
servers, the machine won't even power up.

One other thought, you said something about 12GB ram, kind of an odd amount.

I think that machine is picky about the type and what slots are used. You
can use different sized chips but the pairs have to be matched.

On that machine the slots are arranged like this:

1 5 2 6 3 7 4 8

the ones in slots 1 and 2 have to be matched. (first pair)
the ones in slots 3 and 4 have to be matched. (second pair)
the ones in slots 5 and 6 have to be matched. (third pair)
the ones in slots 7 and 8 have to be matched. (forth pair)

To make life simple, if you know for a fact you have 4 identical simms, just
use them in 1-2-3-4 and leave 5-6-7-8 empty.

I'm not sure if the mixed sizes or placement will cause the led not to light
on the one cpu but this is just basic troubleshooting.

Odds are it's "something else" including a bad cpu but the battery and simm
placement is a good starting point.


I will check the battery and RAM placement. Thanks.

It has 6 x 2GB RAM cards. 3 for each CPU. Only 3 cards (6GB)
show in System Profiler.
I could have all 6 RAM cards for the one CPU but I'd really
like to have both CPUs working.
  #7   Report Post  
Old March 6th 19, 12:19 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Default Apple Xserve 2009 dual quad core has no power on second CPU

Lucifer wrote:

I will check the battery and RAM placement. Thanks.

It has 6 x 2GB RAM cards. 3 for each CPU. Only 3 cards (6GB)
show in System Profiler.
I could have all 6 RAM cards for the one CPU but I'd really
like to have both CPUs working.


I've never seen one of those Xserves up close but have resurrected from the
dead a few Sun servers. On Suns, the memory is more of a pool where is
installed correctly, either cpu can grab as much ram as it needs, in other
words, it's not dedicated to each cpu.

But who knows with apple.

I don't know if you have this or ran across it...

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1428?locale=en_US

but it seems to contain the hardware diagnostics for that thing, at least
the part of it called AXD EFI.

There are other versions, 3x104, 3x106 but one of them should work.

As the other guy (John?) mentioned, there could be a pair of simm looking
things that are called VRM's, usually one for the cpu, the other for the ram
bank, 4 all together (2cpu, 2ram). You can usually swap the cpu ones just to
see if the off-led follows to the other one. If so, you know what to look
for.

I can't find a diagram of that thing anywhere so only taking a guess there.

They are socketed like the simms and the only reason for that is again, on
the Suns, they are changed if the cpu is upgraded. I don't know if they go
bad, never had a bad one.

Good luck.

-bruce



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swapping a Sky LNB from dual to quad ARW[_2_] UK diy 19 May 11th 17 02:50 AM
Tips How to Reinstall P4 CPU & Heat Sink or Separate P4 CPU from Heat Sink? KenO Electronics Repair 4 September 10th 11 04:43 AM
guide sleeves, polit bit, core bit, core lifter, core barrel, TUDEX, ODEX, DTH hammer, drilling wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 10:45 AM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM
Quad 2/Quad II tuner problem Nigel Cook Electronics Repair 1 August 13th 03 10:30 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017