Old February 11th 19, 08:40 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default I need a 3rd Arm and Hand

If you want a premium-priced version

https://www.elektor.com/hobby-creek-third-hand-v2

Old February 11th 19, 08:53 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/11/19 1:40 PM, wrote:
If you want a premium-priced version

https://www.elektor.com/hobby-creek-third-hand-v2

$70 for some alligator clips. Sheesh.

I just flip the PC board face down, hold it with my left
middle finger, and use my thumb and index finger to feed
the solder.

The only time I really HAVE to hold something is soldering
wires to connectors, and THAT is where having a PanaVise
comes in handy.

I have one of those alligator clip things. They are next
to useless for holding anything properly and stable.
Its like chasing a blob of mercury around.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Old February 11th 19, 08:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

Hmm, voice control would be a fun option... "Siri, pass me the
soldering iron please?"

"No, the other end..."

Mike.
Old February 11th 19, 10:26 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2019/02/11 11:55 a.m., Mike Coon wrote:
In article ,
says...

Hmm, voice control would be a fun option... "Siri, pass me the
soldering iron please?"

"No, the other end..."

Mike.

It would depend if you are being polite or not...if you don't say
'please' you get the warm pointy end.

John :-#)#
Old February 12th 19, 02:57 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:19:47 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:

Hmm, voice control would be a fun option... "Siri, pass me the soldering
iron please?"

An acquaintance has Parkinson's. His hands shake rather badly.
Someone built him a pair of robot arms for manipulating things. The
input devices are two large joysticks and some big buttons. The
computer is programmed to ignore high frequency shaking and sudden
moves, and only respond to low frequency, slow movements, which
removes most of the shaking. I found it rather tricky to use, but
suspect that I could learn with a little practice.

I think you'll find that the joystick or virtual reality glove are
better ways to do this. As I recall, it's called a "Waldo".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_manipulator
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldo_(short_story)
The modern Waldo is the Da Vinci robotic surgery machine:
https://www.google.com/search?q=da+Vinci+Surgical+System&tbm=isch

Your link didn't work for me so I tried this:
https://www.robotshop.com/en/catalog...nce&dir =desc

Oops and thanks. The link worked on my home machine but now that I'm
in my palatial office, it doesn't. Magic, I guess.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D