Old February 9th 19, 12:51 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Engine run time to keep battery charged

On 2/8/19 4:27 PM, wrote:
I've gone & chilled. No I'm not obsessed, it's just, what's the word, I'm seeing a long thread of groupthink.

A b) & c) are debateable. Whether B c) results in the need to run it every 2 weeks is at best unlikely.

And yet, you just had to argue.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Old February 9th 19, 09:07 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 9 February 2019 00:51:59 UTC, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 2/8/19 4:27 PM, tabbypurr wrote:

I've gone & chilled. No I'm not obsessed, it's just, what's the word, I'm seeing a long thread of groupthink.

A b) & c) are debateable. Whether B c) results in the need to run it every 2 weeks is at best unlikely.

And yet, you just had to argue.

I chose to discuss it. It's how it works here. The notion that an engine has a minimum run time that is when the oil exceeds 100C is a simple fiction. That you object to that doesn't change it.

NT
Old February 9th 19, 07:18 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 4:07:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, 9 February 2019 00:51:59 UTC, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 2/8/19 4:27 PM, tabbypurr wrote:

I've gone & chilled. No I'm not obsessed, it's just, what's the word, I'm seeing a long thread of groupthink.

A b) & c) are debateable. Whether B c) results in the need to run it every 2 weeks is at best unlikely.

And yet, you just had to argue.

I chose to discuss it. It's how it works here. The notion that an engine has a minimum run time that is when the oil exceeds 100C is a simple fiction. That you object to that doesn't change it.

NT

OMG, are you guys politicians, OCD engineers, or techno weenies wanna be's?
If the OP fretted over all the fly **** in pepper in this thread s/he probably never would accomplish the goal. The OP isn't building a Mars rover (been there, done that) and needs to know quiescent current draw down to the nano amp,or if it is 0.002 ma or 0.100 ma, or if the OP going to do an oil analysis to determine %of H2O that, if left in the engine long enough will rust away 500 lbs of cast iron and degrade aluminum.
Abstraction and pragmatism goes a long way and can save LOTS of time and energy: Run the car approximately every 10-14 days, for approximately 20-30 mins, while varying the rpm every so often but try to keep RPM a around 800-1000RPM to effectively charge the battery.
If oil condition is suspect, change it and filter when the guy gets out of the hospital. Case closed. sheesh dont sweat the small things and don't pet the furry things....

Given all the overthink that seems to have been elicited in this thread, I am surprised no one suggested reparking the car by a 10 degree clockwise rotation every time the engine is run so the UV light from the sun would degrade the interior components equally....
Old February 9th 19, 08:26 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 2:18:56 PM UTC-5, three_jeeps wrote:

Abstraction and pragmatism goes a long way and can save LOTS of time and energy: Run the car approximately every 10-14 days, for approximately 20-30 mins, while varying the rpm every so often but try to keep RPM a around 800-1000RPM to effectively charge the battery.

Pretty much the group consensus except for the two loons in particular that like to parse things to absurdity in the name of "discussion". I'm sure we all know to whom I'm referring.

Given all the overthink that seems to have been elicited in this thread, I am surprised no one suggested reparking the car by a 10 degree clockwise rotation every time the engine is run so the UV light from the sun would degrade the interior components equally....

Heheh.. then those two loons would treat us to a long winded dissertation on the advantages of a schedule to select the proper time of day to rotate the car based on the Sunrise/Sunset calendar taking into consideration overcast days and eclipses...

But I'm totally intrigued by the Mars rover info comment!

Old February 10th 19, 01:24 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/9/19 2:26 PM, John-Del wrote:
Pretty much the group consensus except for the two loons
in particular that like to parse things to absurdity in
the name of "discussion". I'm sure we all know to whom
I'm referring.

And when asked to give a citation for some absurd claim,
they can't.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Old February 11th 19, 07:14 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 9 February 2019 20:26:12 UTC, John-Del wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 2:18:56 PM UTC-5, three_jeeps wrote:

Abstraction and pragmatism goes a long way and can save LOTS of time and energy: Run the car approximately every 10-14 days, for approximately 20-30 mins, while varying the rpm every so often but try to keep RPM a around 800-1000RPM to effectively charge the battery.

Pretty much the group consensus except for the two loons in particular that like to parse things to absurdity in the name of "discussion". I'm sure we all know to whom I'm referring.

the joys of groupthink.

junk snipped.
Old February 11th 19, 12:19 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 2:14:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, 9 February 2019 20:26:12 UTC, John-Del wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 2:18:56 PM UTC-5, three_jeeps wrote:

Abstraction and pragmatism goes a long way and can save LOTS of time and energy: Run the car approximately every 10-14 days, for approximately 20-30 mins, while varying the rpm every so often but try to keep RPM a around 800-1000RPM to effectively charge the battery.

Pretty much the group consensus except for the two loons in particular that like to parse things to absurdity in the name of "discussion". I'm sure we all know to whom I'm referring.

the joys of groupthink.

junk snipped.

Ya know... Sometimes "Groupthink" is a result of multiple individuals having the same experience when faced with the same phenomenon and solving for the same problem. Which makes it "Good Procedure".

Madness, on the other hand, is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. Or, when a desired result is achieved and understood, repeatedly applying flawed logic in order to change that result - you are a very clear and concise example of that process.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old February 11th 19, 12:58 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 11 February 2019 12:19:24 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 2:14:45 AM UTC-5, tabby wrote:
On Saturday, 9 February 2019 20:26:12 UTC, John-Del wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 2:18:56 PM UTC-5, three_jeeps wrote:

Abstraction and pragmatism goes a long way and can save LOTS of time and energy: Run the car approximately every 10-14 days, for approximately 20-30 mins, while varying the rpm every so often but try to keep RPM a around 800-1000RPM to effectively charge the battery.

Pretty much the group consensus except for the two loons in particular that like to parse things to absurdity in the name of "discussion". I'm sure we all know to whom I'm referring.

the joys of groupthink.

junk snipped.

Ya know... Sometimes "Groupthink" is a result of multiple individuals having the same experience when faced with the same phenomenon and solving for the same problem. Which makes it "Good Procedure".

sometimes, sometimes not. The reasons offered have not added up.

Madness, on the other hand, is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. Or, when a desired result is achieved and understood, repeatedly applying flawed logic in order to change that result - you are a very clear and concise example of that process.

I don't know what 'different result' you imagine I'm looking for. I'm not overly worried either.

NT