Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Report Post  
Old February 5th 19, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2018
Posts: 27
Default Engine run time to keep battery charged

On 02/05/2019 10:00 AM, bitrex wrote:
On 02/04/2019 04:45 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
If you turn over an engine periodically to keep it charged, how long do
you run it to make up for the charge lost in starting?

In this case it's my neighbor's 87 Buick Regal while he's in the
hospital.



Here's a modern review of a 1989 Buick Century:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKYMgfjCd7E

"Boomers were in their early 40s and at the height of their power - they
understood the world, and the world turned according to their whims.
They understood computers because floppy disks were goddamn floppy, and
they knew the HIV virus was out there doing the good Lord's work."


The '87 Buick Regal is quite a different car from the Century, though.

I kinda picture a black '87 Buick Regal being the kind of car in the
late 80s or early 90s driven by a teenager in a jean jacket/vest with
AC/DC patches on it, hockey hair/"business in front party in back",
earring in the _left_ ear, smoking his Dad's Parliaments in the high
school parking lot with his 13 y/o girlfriend keeping an eye out for
some little _faggot_ to beat down for his lunch money. "Hey you. yeah,
you, you little queer. Give me your ****in' lunch money you little bitch
boy!"

  #22   Report Post  
Old February 5th 19, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 303
Default Engine run time to keep battery charged

I have a '96 Chevy Astro van.
It's about a 1/4 mile from the house to shop.
If all I do is go back and forth, by the end of the week,
I have to put the battery on a charger to "refill it"
properly.
If I drive to Walmart, 10 miles each way, its more than
happy.
I also have a '02 Dodge Dakota.
Which ever vehicle I'm not driving has a Harbor Freight
"top off" charger on it to maintain things while they
are parked.
It's that simple.


--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com
  #23   Report Post  
Old February 5th 19, 05:05 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2017
Posts: 290
Default Engine run time to keep battery charged

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 10:44:29 AM UTC-5, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
I have a '96 Chevy Astro van.
It's about a 1/4 mile from the house to shop.
If all I do is go back and forth, by the end of the week,
I have to put the battery on a charger to "refill it"
properly.
If I drive to Walmart, 10 miles each way, its more than
happy.
I also have a '02 Dodge Dakota.
Which ever vehicle I'm not driving has a Harbor Freight
"top off" charger on it to maintain things while they
are parked.
It's that simple.


--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com


I have a C5 Corvette which I store for the winter. If that car is not run in 5 weeks, the battery is DEAD (won't even click the starter solenoid). That is normal behavior for this particular car. When I had an early 2000s Mustang, that car could sit 5 months and start in the spring like it was run the day before. Depends on the car, but between self discharge of the battery and the particular car's parasitic loss, cars need much more than "72" seconds to keep charged.
  #24   Report Post  
Old February 5th 19, 05:43 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 303
Default Engine run time to keep battery charged

On 2/5/19 10:05 AM, John-Del wrote:
Depends on the car, but between self discharge of the
battery and the particular car's parasitic loss, cars
need much more than "72" seconds to keep charged.


You will never be able to convince anyone who insists on
talking just to hear them selves talk.

Or those that insist on posting every really obscure
exception to what normally happens.



--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com
  #25   Report Post  
Old February 5th 19, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2018
Posts: 27
Default Engine run time to keep battery charged

On 02/05/2019 10:44 AM, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
I have a '96 Chevy Astro van.


It's juuuuunk throw it in the garbage



  #26   Report Post  
Old February 5th 19, 06:51 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2018
Posts: 27
Default Engine run time to keep battery charged

On 02/05/2019 11:05 AM, John-Del wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 10:44:29 AM UTC-5, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
I have a '96 Chevy Astro van.
It's about a 1/4 mile from the house to shop.
If all I do is go back and forth, by the end of the week,
I have to put the battery on a charger to "refill it"
properly.
If I drive to Walmart, 10 miles each way, its more than
happy.
I also have a '02 Dodge Dakota.
Which ever vehicle I'm not driving has a Harbor Freight
"top off" charger on it to maintain things while they
are parked.
It's that simple.


--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com


I have a C5 Corvette which I store for the winter. If that car is not run in 5 weeks, the battery is DEAD (won't even click the starter solenoid). That is normal behavior for this particular car. When I had an early 2000s Mustang, that car could sit 5 months and start in the spring like it was run the day before. Depends on the car, but between self discharge of the battery and the particular car's parasitic loss, cars need much more than "72" seconds to keep charged.


Throw that junk away man it's an antique
  #27   Report Post  
Old February 5th 19, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 303
Default Engine run time to keep battery charged

On 2/5/19 11:50 AM, bitrex wrote:
On 02/05/2019 10:44 AM, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
I have a '96 Chevy Astro van.


It's juuuuunk throw it in the garbage


I bought it used in 2000. It's been a daily driver for
past 19 years. Still going strong.



--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com
  #28   Report Post  
Old February 5th 19, 08:05 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2008
Posts: 228
Default Engine run time to keep battery charged

On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 4:45:38 PM UTC-5, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
If you turn over an engine periodically to keep it charged, how long do
you run it to make up for the charge lost in starting?

In this case it's my neighbor's 87 Buick Regal while he's in the
hospital.


--


Drive it around the block. It's good to have the wheels spin and the
brakes engage too.

George H.
  #29   Report Post  
Old February 6th 19, 01:01 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
Default Engine run time to keep battery charged

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 04:42:57 -0800 (PST), John-Del wrote:

You don't have a clue how to answer that question.


Hi John-Del,

You prove with every post, you are an idiot (you prove it yourself).

You say I don't have a clue, & yet, at least I _comprehended_ the question!
o Not only did you (and your child buddies) not _comprehend_ the question
o All you _can_ do, is worthless chitchat (ala' the child you prove to be)

*I used to think people like you were _only_ incredibly stupid*
o But now I realize it's worse - because your brain can't comprehend facts.

*I used to think people like you were simply incessantly pulling our leg*
o But now I think it's far worse - since you appear to _believe_ what you write

Since you _are_ clearly stupid, & you prove to _remain_ ignorant...
o The only viable conclusion is you own the left-side brain of Dunning Kruger
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlG0kwCXoAYC-75.jpg

Since your brain is wired as that of the lemon-juice bank robber, John-Del,
o There is no possibly way for an adult to communicate with you.

You will _still_ believe, even in the complete absence of evidence, that
lemon juice works to hide your face from the bank surveillance cameras.

While all people are on the DK scale when it comes to cognitive skills
assessment, you, John-Del, appear to be far to the left of Mount Stupid:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrQGXxKXcAAFaVt.jpg

I don't even need to prove this fact; you prove it yourself - in every post.
o Just watch.

NOTE: To save _others_ from your drivel, John-Del, I will not respond to
your unfathomably childish posts any further in this thread.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge? Micky Electronics Repair 13 March 21st 17 11:09 PM
Lib Obama voter charged with battery over $1 worth of gas Gunner Asch[_4_] Metalworking 0 August 3rd 09 09:38 AM
Freezers: keep warm or keep cold? John UK diy 17 September 5th 06 02:35 PM
Furnace low heat run time = A/C low cool run time [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 29th 05 03:56 PM
Can you fix a lead-acid battery that's charged backwards? mike Electronics Repair 16 August 8th 05 04:34 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017