Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Using a LED for 12V Tractor

On Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 10:29:31 AM UTC-4, greenpjs wrote:
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 10:16:49 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
I would use a 12 VDC Sonalert, or generic Piezo sounder with a
diode in series. Connect it between he headlight circuit, and the
inanition switch so that it makes noise when you shut off the
ignition, and still have the light on.

Have you actually read the question?

Yes. did you? The solution I posted is used in cars for the same
reason.

The OP obviously has little technical knowledge and you've said to connect
it between the headlamp circuit and ignition switch.

Because that is the accepted way to do it in the US. The two
switched sources provide the needed logic for free, even if you can't
see it. It works the way the OP asked, and will do what he wants without
spending a lot of money, or having reliability problems. After reading
a lot of your messages over the years it appears you are more interested
in pushing your way, and to hell with everyone else.

Wired the way I stated, you have +12 VDC on point 'A' when the
headlamp(s) are on. If the ignition switch is on, you also have +12 VDC
on point 'B' and no current will flow. Shut the ignition switch off, and
the voltage drops to zero, applying power to the enunciator. I'm sorry
that you either can't, or won't see this. Because of this, I would never
try to explain anything complex to you. You would be completely lost on
the equipment I last worked on, with over 20 processors, multiple signal
paths and interface systems you can't grasp. Or any of the TV stations I
built or maintained. Apparently attacking a problem with logic has been
supplanted with making wild assed guesses and accusations.

It is connected between to points that are at +12 VDC when the
engine is running, and the lights are on.

I know how a lights on alarm works.

if you shut off the engine,
the sounder goes off. they are used in cars, because you can miss a
small indicator when you are in a hurry, or have sunlight shining on
it.

A warning light for lights on wouldn't seem a good idea, would it?

Yawn. Re-read the thread. Where did I say to use a warning light?
take your time this time, because you've misread it every time,. so far.

I built my first one over 30 years ago, and built several for
family & friends, until they were available over the counter. It draws
zero power when not giving an alarm, and less current than a bright LED.

Do whatever you want. At this point in my life, I'm not going to
argue.

But you could try reading the question...

Yawn. Idiot. This group is going to pot because of lousy attitudes
like yours. If the OP doesn't understand a suggestion they can ask for
clarification. your race to the bottom doesn't do anyone any good, and
continues to make things worse. In case you haven't noticed, most of
the good techs have left the group, rather than put up with the dropping
IQs and sloppy service attitudes.

The question should have been asked in news:sci.electronics.basics
instead of here, then they are hit with attitude rather than help.

You have the perfect solution for the WRONG problem. The OP is
concerned about leaving the ignition switch on after the tractor runs
out of gas or stalls. He never mentioned headlights at all.

I've seen more and more LED headlights out on the road with 18-wheelers. Its like several LED bulbs are packaged into each separate headlight.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Maybe things have changed in the last 11 years.