Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Software to calculate Ohms Law and other electronics math

Is there any Software to calculate Ohms Law and other electronics math?

I have never been good at Mathematics, once you put numbers over other
numbers, use alphabet letters in place of numbers, or talk about
squaring a number, I am completely lost. This is nothing new. Even in
high school I needed special help and barely passed algebra.

Yet, I have worked with electronics all my life. (55+ years). I usually
fInd the correct resistors by trial and error, using pots and decade
boxes. Or using meters for watts, amps, or volts.

Most of the time I see someone in a youtube video using this kind of
math, I skip the video. I just hate math and always will.

But I'd welcome a piece of software that would calculate simple ohms law
things like determining the resisitor size or amperage, etc.

Yes, I'm aware of websites that do that math, but I do not have internet
access in my shop, which is where I need this sort of thing.

Is there any software (preferably free) that I can put on my laptop PC
to do this? (Must be suitable for Windows XP SP3 Pro).

Google did not find anything except those online (web based)
calculators...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Web-based software is useful to calculate parallel resistors and such-like. There was a discussion in another group about how to hot-switch between two amplifiers, neither of which would like to be unloaded (but for different reasons).

Turned out that a parallel high-wattage resistor across the amp outputs would do the trick, after a bit of calculation. Using a web-based calculator greatly sped up the process.

http://www.1728.org/resistrs.htm

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 8:45:04 AM UTC-5, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/28/19 7:37 AM, wrote:
Web-based software is useful to calculate parallel resistors
and such-like.

Yabut...Tubeguy wants something he can run on his PC since he
has a **** connection to the web.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

https://download.cnet.com/Ohm-s-Law-...-77555568.html

That took less than a minute.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/28/19 8:05 AM, wrote:
https://download.cnet.com/Ohm-s-Law-...-77555568.html

That took less than a minute.

Thank you.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Is there any Software to calculate Ohms Law and other electronics math?

Basic Ohm's Law calculations can be done on a pocket calculator without
the need for anything more complicated. The biggest pitfall is knowing
*which* voltage or *which* current is actually applied to a particular
resistor, especially if there are several in some sort of array.; it is
not always obvious.

The logic of real-life circuit problems is not particularly amenable to
being sorted out by software.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Go to http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_h..._ham_calc.html and
download HAM-CALC ( HCALC_129.zip ). I unzip the file into a ram-disk
whenever I need to use the program. Since it uses GWBASIC, you need to
type "cmd" in the START - Run.. box. I see that you are using WinXP,
so this isn't a problem. For more recent version of Windows, you would
have to install DOSBOX first.

David

---
Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
wrote:

Is there any Software to calculate Ohms Law and other electronics math?

Basic Ohm's Law calculations can be done on a pocket calculator without
the need for anything more complicated. The biggest pitfall is knowing
*which* voltage or *which* current is actually applied to a particular
resistor, especially if there are several in some sort of array.; it is
not always obvious.

The logic of real-life circuit problems is not particularly amenable to
being sorted out by software.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 28 January 2019 14:43:47 UTC, Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
wrote:

Is there any Software to calculate Ohms Law and other electronics math?

Basic Ohm's Law calculations can be done on a pocket calculator without
the need for anything more complicated. The biggest pitfall is knowing
*which* voltage or *which* current is actually applied to a particular
resistor, especially if there are several in some sort of array.; it is
not always obvious.

The logic of real-life circuit problems is not particularly amenable to
being sorted out by software.

Ohms law, capacitor reactance, numerous other things are frequently resolved with simple software. And I won't mention spice or its limitations.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 20:36:55 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

I think you'll find one of these to be more suitable:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ohm's+law+cardboard+slide+rule&tbm=isch
Most of my collection:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Paper-Slide-Rule-Calculators.jpg
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Paper-Slide-Rule-Calculators-02.jpg
Oddly, I don't seem to have one that does Ohm's Law.

This probably the best of the bunch:

"Ohmite Ohm's Law Calculator"
https://stevenjohnson.com/cardboard/images/ohmite-res-slide.gif
http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_692574
I could swear I have one, somewhere, maybe. Wannit if I can find it?

Roll your own modern slide chart calculator:
https://www.datalizer.com

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 7:56:49 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Is there any Software to calculate Ohms Law and other electronics math?

You would be better off with a piece of log/log graph paper, labeled for a
convenient range of V on one axis, and I on the other axis. Every
resistor value can be represented by a straight line (a diagonal)
on the graph. Scribe in 1 ohm, 10, 100, 1000, 10k etc. lines, and glance
at it when you want a value.

Calculators are slow. Laminated charts inform in a couple of seconds, and
can be taped on any convenient door/partition/refrigerator.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I think you'll find one of these to be more suitable:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ohm's+law+cardboard+slide+rule&tbm=isch
Most of my collection:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Paper-Slide-Rule-Calculators.jpg
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Paper-Slide-Rule-Calculators-02.jpg
Oddly, I don't seem to have one that does Ohm's Law.

This probably the best of the bunch:

"Ohmite Ohm's Law Calculator"
https://stevenjohnson.com/cardboard/images/ohmite-res-slide.gif
http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_692574
I could swear I have one, somewhere, maybe. Wannit if I can find it?

Roll your own modern slide chart calculator:
https://www.datalizer.com

I have a small collection of those cardboard calculators that I got from
an electronics parts store I bought out:

https://www.flippers.com/images/prop...tors-front.JPG

https://www.flippers.com/images/prop...ators-rear.JPG

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:

I have a small collection of those cardboard calculators that I got from
an electronics parts store I bought out:

https://www.flippers.com/images/prop...tors-front.JPG
https://www.flippers.com/images/prop...ators-rear.JPG

ITYM

https://www.flippers.com/images/Props/Cardboard_Calculators-front.JPG

and

https://www.flippers.com/images/Props/Cardboard_Calculators-rear.JPG
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 11:25:16 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:

I have a small collection of those cardboard calculators that I got from
an electronics parts store I bought out:
https://www.flippers.com/images/prop...tors-front.JPG
https://www.flippers.com/images/prop...ators-rear.JPG
John :-#)#

I get "404 That page doesn't seem to exist... for both URL's.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I have a small collection of those cardboard calculators that I got from
an electronics parts store I bought out:
https://www.flippers.com/images/Prop...tors-front.JPG
https://www.flippers.com/images/Prop...ators-rear.JPG
John :-#)#

I get "404 That page doesn't seem to exist... for both URL's.

Andy caught my typo, used a lower case 'p' for the '/Props' directory.
I've fixed the above links...

I knew I should have tested them before posting!

John :-#(#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I think you'll find one of these to be more suitable:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ohm's+law+cardboard+slide+rule&tbm=isch

Most of my collection:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Paper-Slide-Rule-Calculators.jpg

http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Paper-Slide-Rule-Calculators-02.jpg

Oddly, I don't seem to have one that does Ohm's Law.

This probably the best of the bunch:

"Ohmite Ohm's Law Calculator"
https://stevenjohnson.com/cardboard/images/ohmite-res-slide.gif
http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_692574
I could swear I have one, somewhere, maybe.Â* Wannit if I can find it?

Roll your own modern slide chart calculator:
https://www.datalizer.com

I have a small collection of those cardboard calculators that I got from
an electronics parts store I bought out:

https://www.flippers.com/images/prop...tors-front.JPG

https://www.flippers.com/images/prop...ators-rear.JPG

John :-#)#

Typo, should be:

https://www.flippers.com/images/Prop...tors-front.JPG

https://www.flippers.com/images/Prop...ators-rear.JPG

John :-#(#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 21:56:44 -0600, wrote:

Is there any Software to calculate Ohms Law and other electronics math?

Google.

Ohm's law; V
======
I x R
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Is there any Software to calculate Ohms Law and other electronics math?

Google.

Ohm's law; V
======
I x R

That's a law? With no "="?

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:38:33 -0000, Mike Coon
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 21:56:44 -0600, wrote:

Is there any Software to calculate Ohms Law and other electronics math?

Google.

Ohm's law; V
======
I x R

That's a law? With no "="?

Mike.

Is it an attempt to draw a triangle that represents V = I * R,
I = V/R, R = V/I

Steve

--
http://www.npsnn.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/30/19 2:35 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Why anyone would need a computer for a baby grade problem
like this I simply can't imagine.

Two reasons:
1. Tubeguy already said he can't do math.
2. His internet sucks so he needs a local program.

I can this stuff in my head, but that doesn't help him any.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 10:56:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'd welcome a piece of software that would calculate simple ohms law
things like determining the resisitor size or amperage, etc.

Just buy a multimeter from a hardware store.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 17:47:58 -0600, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

On 1/30/19 2:35 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Why anyone would need a computer for a baby grade problem like this I
simply can't imagine.

Two reasons:
1. Tubeguy already said he can't do math.

If he can't do the most elementary things like multiply and divide, then
there's no hope for him in electronics AFAICS. He needs to pick another
job.

2. His internet sucks so he needs a local program.

He could get a powerful pocket calculator for peanuts! I can't believe
anyone can be *that* stupid, TBH. He's having a laugh at your expense.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No, read his posts, and those from his alter-ego, oldstuff....... He's *that* stupid.

He could get a powerful pocket calculator for peanuts! I can't believe
anyone can be *that* stupid, TBH. He's having a laugh at your expense.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/1/19 5:16 PM, Terry Schwartz wrote:
No, read his posts, and those from his alter-ego, oldstuff....... He's*that* stupid.
He could get a powerful pocket calculator for peanuts! I can't believe
anyone can be*that* stupid, TBH. He's having a laugh at your expense.

Old School.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 1 February 2019 23:05:44 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 17:47:58 -0600, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/30/19 2:35 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Why anyone would need a computer for a baby grade problem like this I
simply can't imagine.

Two reasons:
1. Tubeguy already said he can't do math.

If he can't do the most elementary things like multiply and divide, then
there's no hope for him in electronics AFAICS. He needs to pick another
job.

2. His internet sucks so he needs a local program.

He could get a powerful pocket calculator for peanuts! I can't believe
anyone can be *that* stupid, TBH. He's having a laugh at your expense.

Everyone has a blindspot somewhere. He's a hobbyist.

NT