Old January 21st 19, 09:51 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default This has me puzzled (resistor change)

Ralph Mowery wrote:

I am well aware that the older carbon resistors often go up in value as
they age even if new. I always measure the resistors before I use them.
I do the same with the electrolytic capacitors.

** If you find an electro well above its marked capacitance value - what do you conclude ??

.... Phil

Old January 21st 19, 10:00 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 21-1-2019 22:51, Phil Allison wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:

I am well aware that the older carbon resistors often go up in value as
they age even if new. I always measure the resistors before I use them.
I do the same with the electrolytic capacitors.

** If you find an electro well above its marked capacitance value - what do you conclude ??

... Phil

That the oxide layer has degraded, and might be about to fail?
Old January 22nd 19, 06:27 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sjouke Burry wrote:

** If you find an electro well above its marked capacitance value
- what do you conclude ??

... Phil

That the oxide layer has degraded, and might be about to fail?

** How do you check for this?

...... Phil