Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Why were old transformers coated with tar?

I remember a lot of old transformers, particularly the power
transformers on the old TV sets, were coated with tar. It was not a real
problem, but was kind of ugly, particularly when the wires had tar all
over them.

What was the purpose for the tar? My guess was to eliminate chattering
of the steel laminations. Yet, it seems the practice of using tar
vanished for the most part in the 70s and later. Yet I have not seen any
untarred modern transformers chatter......

I will add to this, that the most chattering I have heard from
transformers are the small ones which do NOT have bolts going thru the
core, such as filament transformers and doorbell transformers. Several
times over the years I have had people ask me why there is a noisy sound
in their basement and it never fails, it's the doorbell transformer.

This could often be fixed by squeezing the outer metal piece against the
laminations, and applying something like laquer or silicone caulk.
However, for the small price they cost, I usually just replaced them
with a new one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 03:24:57 UTC, wrote:

[...]

Modern transformers use clear stuff for the same purpose. It stops noises & holds the windings etc in place.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've been working for transformers.
Telecoms ones, but it's the same.

Once, winded and assembled, the pieces were put in a resin we call
"jaja" in France.
And then put in an under-pressurized "bubble room" for completing the
process.
When there was no more bubbles, the process was over.

Resin (or tar) is there for noise suppression, mechanical fixing of the
windings and insulation improvement.

a écrit le 15/01/2019 Ã* 12:36Â*:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

People put tar on airgun springs to remove noise and smooth out firing.

That's not the ideal way, but that requires precisely fitted spring guides adjusted for the individual airgun, and that doesn't happen in manufacturing.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Look165 wrote:

Once, winded and assembled, the pieces were put in a resin we call
"jaja" in France.
And then put in an under-pressurized "bubble room" for completing the
process.
When there was no more bubbles, the process was over.

** The process is commonly known as " vacuum impregnation " - completed transformers are placed in tank of resin or varnish and the air pressure reduced until all air pockets are filled.

Not always done with bobbin wound transformers but standard practice with layer wound and old style cloth insulated toroidal mains transformers plus any tranny that handles substantial voltages.

..... Phil

a écrit le 15/01/2019 Ã* 12:36Â*:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/15/19 11:13 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
** The process is commonly known as " vacuum impregnation "
- completed transformers are placed in tank of resin or
varnish and the air pressure reduced until all air pockets are filled.

Actually, the vacuum allows the bubbles to expand enough to
float to the surface and pop.

I did this with hand wound transformers at TRW using Poly
Urethane, and in my shop mostly with casting resins.

The vacuum chambers at TRW were nice, but I found that using
a modified pressure cooker works fine for the size jobs I have.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

For me, it was telecom transformers for SNCF.

Fox's Mercantile a écrit le 15/01/2019 Ã* 19:51Â*:
On 1/15/19 11:13 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
** The process is commonly known as " vacuum impregnation "
-Â* completed transformers are placed inÂ* tank of resin or
varnish and the air pressure reduced until all air pockets are filled.

Actually, the vacuum allows the bubbles to expand enough to
float to the surface and pop.

I did this with hand wound transformers at TRW using Poly
Urethane, and in my shop mostly with casting resins.

The vacuum chambers at TRW were nice, but I found that using
a modified pressure cooker works fine for the size jobs I have.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 7:24:57 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I remember a lot of old transformers, particularly the power
transformers on the old TV sets, were coated with tar.

There are mechanical forces between wires carrying current, and in addition
to making 'hum' that puts some metal fatigue into the mix. For
reliability, especially for switchmode, vacuum impregnation or some other
secure-the-wires provision is common in power inductors. At low
frequencies, you can get away with oil and paper. Or thick oil (asphalt, tar...).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

That's true, I forgot the magnetostriction.

But it's only true for LF ; with HF (some 10 kHz), the inertial forces
are too strong and too much low in movement.

whit3rd a écrit le 16/01/2019 Ã* 05:42Â*:
On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 7:24:57 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I remember a lot of old transformers, particularly the power
transformers on the old TV sets, were coated with tar.

There are mechanical forces between wires carrying current, and in addition
to making 'hum' that puts some metal fatigue into the mix. For
reliability, especially for switchmode, vacuum impregnation or some other
secure-the-wires provision is common in power inductors. At low
frequencies, you can get away with oil and paper. Or thick oil (asphalt, tar...).

how to remove old roofing tar from brick wall [email protected] Home Repair 10 December 1st 13 03:51 AM
Wood fence post coated with tar? MiamiCuse Home Repair 5 April 22nd 09 08:42 PM
Old Black Tar Floor Adhesive--Safety Question [email protected] Home Repair 10 October 11th 07 09:11 PM
vinyl coated vs. pvc coated aluminum PaulP Home Repair 0 October 7th 06 08:07 AM
Phosphor coated drywall screws - why? Adrian C UK diy 3 April 17th 05 12:35 PM