Old January 12th 19, 01:46 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Making an Adaptor from the vintage single wire 5/8" screw on MIC connector to BNC

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 15:21:54 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 7:24:54 PM UTC-8, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/10/19 8:59 PM, whit3rd wrote:

Don't you want a UHF BNC adapter? Take a look at images.google.com with
that search string...

Except....A UHF connector is 5/8-24 pitch.
The Amphenol button connector is 3/8-27 pitch.
Unless you consider cross threading a feature, they are not compatible.

Oh, then the 'easiest' solution I'm aware of is a pogo pin soldered in a BNC
fitting, and a lathe-job threaded tube, 3/8-27 to 38-32, to mate the threads.

I'm not sure I've ever encountered 3/8-27, but I have taps for 3/8-24./ -26. /-32

Lots of people who aren't machinists or who work with lamp fittings
could easily think that a 1/8-27 straight pipe thread is 3/8-27. This
is because 1/8-27 straight pipe thread has a major diameter of .394"
to .390", which is only .019" to .015" over the major diameter of a
3/8 thread. And as sloppy as some threads are made, especially the
threads on lamp fittings, the mistake is even easier to make. I have
had more than one person ask me to either tap holes for 3/8-27 or if I
knew where to buy a tap for that thread because they had no luck
looking in catalogs or online for the elusive 3/8-27 tap.
Eric

Old January 12th 19, 03:23 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 7:24:54 PM UTC-8, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/10/19 8:59 PM, whit3rd wrote:

Don't you want a UHF BNC adapter? Take a look at images.google.com with
that search string...

Except....A UHF connector is 5/8-24 pitch.
The Amphenol button connector is 3/8-27 pitch.

CORRECTION The Amphenol button connector is 5/8-27 pitch.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Old January 12th 19, 04:11 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/11/19 8:36 PM, Martin C. wrote:
I have never seen such a connector, but have read that the shell
thread is the same as a a PL259.
Could a common PL259 to BNC adaptor be modified?

They are NOT the same.
The common UHF connector is 5/8-24.

Old January 15th 19, 04:25 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 7:24:54 PM UTC-8, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/10/19 8:59 PM, whit3rd wrote:

Don't you want a UHF BNC adapter? Take a look at images.google.com with
that search string...

Except....A UHF connector is 5/8-24 pitch.
The Amphenol button connector is 3/8-27 pitch.
Unless you consider cross threading a feature, they are not compatible.

Oh, then the 'easiest' solution I'm aware of is a pogo pin soldered in a BNC
fitting, and a lathe-job threaded tube, 3/8-27 to 38-32, to mate the threads.

I'm not sure I've ever encountered 3/8-27, but I have taps for 3/8-24./ -26. /-32

Pogo pin???? What's that?

Old January 15th 19, 04:25 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 15:37:36 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 7:24:54 PM UTC-8, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

The Amphenol button connector is 3/8-27 pitch.

Is this about the connector depicte, I d here https://archive.org/details/Amphenol/page/n5
at the top left of page M-6 ?

Yes.

I would have been more descriptive in my original posting, but it seems
there are numerous names for them, and not a standard "name". But most
people seem to understand "vintage ONE pin MIC connector".

It seems a lot of people hate them, and want to replace all of them with
BNC. Personally, I like those oldies. Sure it takes a few seconds longer
to screw them on, but they worked well, and under normal use, they were
not changed all that often. Plus, they were versatile, since they were
both male and female, by using or removing the "ring". That alone was an
ingenious invention.

I may be wrong, but I believe they were originally designed for
microphone use, and later adapted for test gear connections. I can see
why they were later replaced by modern microphone connectors, having 3
connections, since the microphones needed better shielding and impedance
matching. But for use on test equip. they still work great.

The hardest part these days, is finding the connectors ends at a
reasonable price. Someone always has them on ebay, but usually at
ridiculous prices. From my understanding, they are no longer
manufactured, so all that exist are NOS. Fortunately I was able to buy 3
of them awhile back at a fair price and they were new in the package. I
now wish I had gotten a few more from the seller..... I think he had
around 10 of them total.

Old January 15th 19, 08:56 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Oh, then the 'easiest' solution I'm aware of is a pogo pin soldered in a BNC
fitting, and a lathe-job threaded tube, 3/8-27 to 38-32, to mate the threads.

I'm not sure I've ever encountered 3/8-27, but I have taps for 3/8-24./ -26. /-32

Pogo pin???? What's that?

A two-piece (concentric cylinders) electrical contact. Think
"piece of brass rod, slid into a brass tube, with a spring at the
base".

See https://www.ebay.com/itm/261897100962 for one example of how
they're used. This is a JTAG connector with 8 pogo pins. It can be
pressed down onto an 8-pad through-hole pattern on the board
(preferable one populated with a machined-pin socket, although you
could probably make it work just with plated-through holes).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOIC-8-Spri...g/250464158353
is similar, for a SOIC pattern.