Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Using a Signal Generator for an "In Home" radio transmitter

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:57:48 -0800 (PST), wrote:

You're off by a factor of ten. You want up to 1,650 KHz. Actually it is so easy to build an oscillator like that and easy to amplitude modulate that might be a better option. Well unless you have nothing better to do with the generator.

Crystal controlled would be better because drift is not good. But then if you just leave it on all the time it will settle in and be stable enough.

Another thing is to keep the power down, you don't need problems with the FCC. They got a SWAT team, I **** you not. I am not sure what you can get away with, maybe 100mW or 500, something like that. A quick Google didn't yield a straight answer but I would say just make sure the signal doesn't leave the house.

I know it is absolutely illegal to use any of the FM band, that this when they come and treat you like you're running a meth lab. However there is so much noise on AM that they might never even suspect. You might be better running the "transmitting antenna" through wires to the desired locations. I fit leaves the house, even on your own property that might mean trouble. And we are talking feds here, that means your miracle worker lawyer is no good.

I used to live in a city with 50,000 residents in the southern U.S..
There was, and probably still is, a pirate station in the educational
FM band. It has been on the air for years and it doesn't interfere
with local FM signals. I have sinced moved to a town of 20,000 people
in southern MN. Someone started a pirate station playing Tejano music
24 hours a day. Unfortunately their frequency was at 90.3 MHz and the
signal bled over onto the local MPR signal at 90.1. I complained to
the FCC and within 3 weeks they shut the station down. So it appears
that the FCC is more aggressive when the station impinges on
legitimate signals.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Chuck wrote:

. Someone started a pirate station playing Tejano music
24 hours a day. Unfortunately their frequency was at 90.3 MHz and the
signal bled over onto the local MPR signal at 90.1. I complained to
the FCC and within 3 weeks they shut the station down. So it appears
that the FCC is more aggressive when the station impinges on
legitimate signals.

"Harmful interference" vs. "unauthorized operation". Both can come
with big fines... but, yes, the FCC is somewhat more likely to react
when faced with a situation where a legitimate licensed broadcaster is
being interfered with. (Commercial licensees have paid $$ for their
licenses, and don't like losing market-share/coverage to pirate
transmitters).