DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tektronik 2230 oscilloscope: nasty menu? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/628718-tektronik-2230-oscilloscope-nasty-menu.html)

Jean-Pierre Coulon January 3rd 19 08:17 AM

Tektronik 2230 oscilloscope: nasty menu?

When I turn it on it says "power up failure, press menu key to continue". I
press the 3 keys of MEMORY DISPLAY ON/OFF part. In the past it went back to
working like a simple analog scope after a few key presses. But now I can't
get out of the acq_mode setup table.

Is there a trick to get rid of these menus and obtain a simple analog scope?

Bye
--
Jean-Pierre Coulon

JC[_6_] January 3rd 19 04:20 PM

Jean-Pierre Coulon wrote:
When I turn it on it says "power up failure, press menu key to
continue".Â* I press the 3 keys of MEMORY DISPLAY ON/OFF part. In the
past it went back to working like a simple analog scope after a few key
presses. But now I can't get out of the acq_mode setup table.

Is there a trick to get rid of these menus and obtain a simple analog
scope?

Bye

If you remove the case and look at the top board, near the 8088
processor (40 pin DIP, fairly obvious) there is a plug marked RESET.
Move it to the reset position. That will stop the digital board from
running and assuming you have no serious faults will turn the scope into
an analog only scope.

If you want to repair it I suggest you go over to
https://groups.io/g/TekScopes. The 2230 has comprehensive diagnostics
built in.

Jean-Pierre Coulon January 4th 19 08:20 AM

Tektronik 2230 oscilloscope: nasty menu?

Forgive the stupid question, but howe do you remove the case? I have unscrewed
2 screws at the bottom, 1 on the side, one on the top but the case won't move.
Do I have to unmount all pot buttons?

--
Jean-Pierre Coulon

[email protected] January 4th 19 08:25 AM

Tektronik 2230 oscilloscope: nasty menu?

On the back most likely.

JC[_6_] January 4th 19 03:06 PM

Jean-Pierre Coulon wrote:
Forgive the stupid question, but howe do you remove the case? I have
unscrewed 2 screws at the bottom, 1 on the side, one on the top but the
case won't move. Do I have to unmount all pot buttons?

Hi, There are 2 screws in the rear panel, one small screw on the
underside near the front, one large screw on the right side towards the
rear.
4 screws hold the side panel (IEEE, RS232 or Plotter).

If the case will not slide back its probably been bent inwards
somewhere, if its badly dinged then they can be difficult to remove. DO
NOT HAMMER it, you will damage the tube.

If you can fold the handle down on top so the handle is at the rear, use
your thumbs to push the chassis while gripping the handle. This usually
works.

After that put the scope on its side and pull the underside round handle
mount down and back. It might only move a little, do the same to the
other handle mount on top. Repeat. It can take a while! Look for the
chassis binding as you do it, the side panel cutout might catch on the
chassis. Take your time!

JC[_6_] January 4th 19 03:20 PM

JC wrote:
Jean-Pierre Coulon wrote:
Forgive the stupid question, but howe do you remove the case? I have
unscrewed 2 screws at the bottom, 1 on the side, one on the top but
the case won't move. Do I have to unmount all pot buttons?

Hi, There are 2 screws in the rear panel, one small screw on the
underside near the front, one large screw on the right side towards the
rear.
4 screws hold the side panel (IEEE, RS232 or Plotter).

If the case will not slide back itsÂ* probably been bent inwards
somewhere, if its badly dinged then they can be difficult to remove. DO
NOT HAMMER it, you will damage the tube.

If you can fold the handle down on top so the handle is at the rear, use
your thumbs to push the chassis while gripping the handle. This usually
works.

After that put the scope on its side and pull the underside round handle
mount down and back. It might only move a little, do the same to the
other handle mount on top. Repeat. It can take a while! Look for the
chassis binding as you do it, the side panel cutout might catch on the
chassis. Take your time!

Also if you do have IEEE or RS232 side panel, you need to unscrew the
cable strain relief nuts.

amdx[_3_] January 6th 19 01:28 AM

On 1/4/2019 8:20 AM, JC wrote:
JC wrote:
Jean-Pierre Coulon wrote:
[...]

Is that because they cause stress and open or short the wires?

Jean-Pierre Coulon January 7th 19 07:40 AM

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019, JC wrote:

If you remove the case and look at the top board, near the 8088 processor (40
pin DIP, fairly obvious) there is a plug marked RESET. Move it to the reset
position. That will stop the digital board from running and assuming you have
no serious faults will turn the scope into an analog only scope.

There is a jumper (connects 2 out of 3 pins) with the label RESET near its
rightmost position. It was in this position. I moved it to the leftmost
position and now everything is perfect (for me).

Removing yhe case was difficult but possible after I removed the 2 screws of
the little side panel and the 2 nuts of the IEEE connector.

Thanks to you. :-)
--
Jean-Pierre Coulon