Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Variac question

Purchased used Variac. Good action, very smooth from 0 to 140V AC.
Question: Input and output are both 2 prong, no ground. Should I modify it to three prong with ground?
BTW, I do also own a functioning isolation transformer.
Should the IXformer be placed between the mains and the Variac? Please advise as to best procedure. Thanks. Main use of Variac will be to power up ancient tube equipment.
Thank you!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2018/11/02 9:43 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Purchased used Variac. Good action, very smooth from 0 to 140V AC.
Question: Input and output are both 2 prong, no ground. Should I modify it to three prong with ground?
BTW, I do also own a functioning isolation transformer.
Should the IXformer be placed between the mains and the Variac? Please advise as to best procedure. Thanks. Main use of Variac will be to power up ancient tube equipment.
Thank you!

As long as the variac passes basic eletrical leakage test fine and the
powre cord and internal wiring are in good condition there is little
sense in trying to upgrade it to three conductor wiring.

In fact I recall reading somewhere (can't find the link) that it is
against the electrical safety regulations to convert two conductor
products to three conductor. This could be incorrect, until I can find
the reference take it with a grain of salt. However many items wired for
two conductor would need to be modified for three conductor beyond just
adding a ground - in pinball and jukeboxes the older two conductor items
correctly had the power switch on one side of the line and the line fuse
on the other - this is totally wrong on three wire setups!

So use the isolation Xformer to be safe.

Also, I trust you are aware of the series lamp (25 to 100W bulb
depending on the load) test for powering up gear that you aren't sure
hasn't a problem (shorted winding, cap, rectifier, etc.)...

John :-#)#
John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:

As long as the variac passes basic eletrical leakage test fine and the
powre cord and internal wiring are in good condition there is little
sense in trying to upgrade it to three conductor wiring.

** To maintain the safety of equipment that normally uses a ground conductor with a 3 pin plug - earth continuity must remain intact.

In fact I recall reading somewhere (can't find the link) that it is
against the electrical safety regulations to convert two conductor
products to three conductor.

** If the product as originally sold was of Double Insulated (aka class2) design, this may be true. Earthing a Class 2 shaver is silly.

But I would not hesitate to add a 3 conductor cable to any guitar amp, powered desk or similar I found that did not have it.

This could be incorrect, until I can find
the reference take it with a grain of salt. However many items wired for
two conductor would need to be modified for three conductor beyond just
adding a ground - in pinball and jukeboxes the older two conductor items
correctly had the power switch on one side of the line and the line fuse
on the other - this is totally wrong on three wire setups!

** Sounds easy enough to correct, as it is to remove the infamous "death cap" fitted to many 2 wire guitar amps not so long ago.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Purchased used Variac. Good action, very smooth from 0 to 140V AC.

Question: Input and output are both 2 prong, no ground.
Should I modify it to three prong with ground?

** Yes - all modern ones are made like that. It is not safe to de-earth an appliance just because you need to use a Variac with it.

BTW, I do also own a functioning isolation transformer.
Should the IXformer be placed between the mains and the Variac?
Please advise as to best procedure.

** Either way works, feeding 140VAC to the Iso may get it a bit hot though.

Main use of Variac will be to power up ancient tube equipment.

** I use mine for almost everything.

Cos I hate blowing fuses at switch-on.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 3 November 2018 04:43:21 UTC, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Purchased used Variac. Good action, very smooth from 0 to 140V AC.
Question: Input and output are both 2 prong, no ground. Should I modify it to three prong with ground?

it's safer to

BTW, I do also own a functioning isolation transformer.
Should the IXformer be placed between the mains and the Variac? Please advise as to best procedure. Thanks. Main use of Variac will be to power up ancient tube equipment.
Thank you!

that works, but don't assume you won't then get a shock from a live wire. Safer & easier now to use an RCD/GFCI.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 21:43:18 -0700, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Purchased used Variac. Good action, very smooth from 0 to 140V AC.
Question: Input and output are both 2 prong, no ground. Should I modify
it to three prong with ground?

I certainly would.

BTW, I do also own a functioning isolation transformer.
Should the IXformer be placed between the mains and the Variac? Please
advise as to best procedure. Thanks. Main use of Variac will be to
power up ancient tube equipment.
Thank you!

The isolation transformer should always power the *device under test* to
remove the Earth reference from it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/3/18 9:37 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In just the last few years I have been looking at the older equipment
(some in the mid 1960s) and they were 2 wire devices. They had the
switch on one side of the transformer and the fuse on the other side.
I don't know about the code or why it was done that way. I would have
thought the fuse would come first on the hot wire and then the switch.
Much of the equipment is ham radio related and most users would have a
good connection of the chassis to the earth ground.

Because in the end, it's a series circuit. It doesn't make a damn bit of
difference.

Primarily, it was done from a "Is this the cheapest and easyist (also
cheapest) way to do it this way?"

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thank you everybody. Great help! Will always use the isolation xformer
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 10:38:54 -0700, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Thank you everybody. Great help! Will always use the isolation xformer

One last thing: don't ever get into the habit of using that variac of
yours as a convenient substitute for an extension lead.
Enjoy!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 3 November 2018 15:05:48 UTC, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 11/3/18 9:37 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

In just the last few years I have been looking at the older equipment
(some in the mid 1960s) and they were 2 wire devices. They had the
switch on one side of the transformer and the fuse on the other side.
I don't know about the code or why it was done that way. I would have
thought the fuse would come first on the hot wire and then the switch.
Much of the equipment is ham radio related and most users would have a
good connection of the chassis to the earth ground.

Because in the end, it's a series circuit. It doesn't make a damn bit of
difference.

Primarily, it was done from a "Is this the cheapest and easyist (also
cheapest) way to do it this way?"

It makes a huge difference.
Fuse in live blown: faulty equipment is now dead.
Fuse in neutral blown: faulty equipment looks dead but is live.
One can electrocute you after a live to case fault, the other won't.
This is why UK banned dual pole mains fusing in 1955.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Thank you everybody.
Great help! Will always use the isolation xformer

** Who here said to do that ???

Good safety practice is to use an isolation ONLY when you need to - as with old live chassis radios or off-line SMPUs.

Never disconnect your scope from safety earth and if equipment on test has the safety ground connected to the chassis - leave it that way.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 4 November 2018 03:58:17 UTC, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr says...

It makes a huge difference.
Fuse in live blown: faulty equipment is now dead.
Fuse in neutral blown: faulty equipment looks dead but is live.
One can electrocute you after a live to case fault, the other won't.
This is why UK banned dual pole mains fusing in 1955.

Ideas and codes change from one country to the next and sometimes even
in the same country.

In my opinion one of the worst things was some equipment where aI
worked. The standard in the US was that on electrical equipment boxes
red was off and green was on. We got in some equipment from Europe and
they used Green for off and Red for on. The reason being that Green was
safe to open the door and red ment power was on and danger.

I know that in a series circuit that electrically it does not matter in
which order things are for them to work. I was just courious that much
of the older two wire 120 volt stuff that has a transformer , the power
comes in, then a switch, transformer primary , fuse and back out to the
power. I would have thought it would be the power, fuse, switch,
transformer and back out to power.

The only justification I can think of for the old practice of putting the switch & fuse in different leads for unpolarised kit is the idea that the switch is a relative weakpoint, so would likely act as a higher current fuse if there were a short from live to some good earth - not good but better than nothing. I suppose it's also marginally easier for production to have 2 things to solder the mains wires to.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 23:58:08 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

In my opinion one of the worst things was some equipment where aI
worked. The standard in the US was that on electrical equipment boxes
red was off and green was on. We got in some equipment from Europe and
they used Green for off and Red for on. The reason being that Green was
safe to open the door and red ment power was on and danger.

And just to further complicate matters, in domestic consumer units
nowadays, the spur is live when the switch is in the 'up' position and
'off' is down. This is arse-about-face to what I - at least - was brought
up with in the UK.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2018-11-04, Ralph Mowery wrote:
From what I have heard in the UK up is off and down is on for house
light switches.

What else would you expect from people who inist upon driving on the
wrong side of the road? (At least the Swedes wised up in the 1960s.)

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Purchased used Variac. Good action, very smooth from 0 to 140V AC.
Question: Input and output are both 2 prong, no ground. Should I modify
it to three prong with ground?
BTW, I do also own a functioning isolation transformer.
Should the IXformer be placed between the mains and the Variac? Please
advise as to best procedure. Thanks. Main use of Variac will be to power
up ancient tube equipment.
Thank you!

I would place ISO XFMR after variac. The transformer is not 1:1 and
designed to be 1:1 under full load. Depends on current either way you can
end up say 160 volts no load.

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Purchased used Variac. Good action, very smooth from 0 to 140V AC.
Question: Input and output are both 2 prong, no ground. Should I modify
it to three prong with ground?
BTW, I do also own a functioning isolation transformer.
Should the IXformer be placed between the mains and the Variac? Please
advise as to best procedure. Thanks. Main use of Variac will be to power
up ancient tube equipment.
Thank you!

There are different types of isolation transformers. The ones many sell in
US with outlets and all, have three prong grounded outlets, and that groung
is tied to one leg of output forming new neutral. These are specific for
reducing noise. No ground isolation.

Greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 3:39:07 AM UTC-5, GS wrote:
Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Purchased used Variac. Good action, very smooth from 0 to 140V AC.
Question: Input and output are both 2 prong, no ground. Should I modify
it to three prong with ground?
BTW, I do also own a functioning isolation transformer.
Should the IXformer be placed between the mains and the Variac? Please
advise as to best procedure. Thanks. Main use of Variac will be to power
up ancient tube equipment.
Thank you!

I would place ISO XFMR after variac. The transformer is not 1:1 and
designed to be 1:1 under full load. Depends on current either way you can
end up say 160 volts no load.

Greg

I can't advise on the modification to connect the variac to earth ground. One would have to know the design of the variac to accomplish this safely, if indeed it is a good idea at all. IMHO, I would not modify the autotransformer. One need to be aware of the 'upstream' power distribution network. In the states, residential customers are fed by three wire split phase distribution transformer that sits on a power pole or power utility box. The 120 VAC power is between ground and one half of the phase winding.

I would also place the isolation xfmr after the variac. Variac (short for variable autotransformer) is an interesting device in that there is no isolated secondary winding. A portion of the primary winding serves as a secondary. There are taps along the primary winding that allow for stepping up or down the output voltage.
One can use a variac for: reforming power supply capacitors in equipment that has been sitting idle for a number of years, testing the tolerance of electronic equipment/designs to under/over voltage conditions, gradually increasing the voltage to equipment to avoid 'shock' of the components, dimming incandescent light bulbs, and testing dropout of electronic devices under low voltage conditions. We used variacs to lower the supply voltage to computers to prove that the machines we designed would function down to at least 80% of line voltage, and when a threshold was hit, the machine would gracefully shutdown in x milliseconds. It was a requirement of the system.

Isolation transformer are used a lot in servicing certain type of electronic equipment (e.g. tube TVs, amplifier, radio transmitters, etc.). It removes the direct path to ground of the electrical power, significantly reducing the chance of death. Ask any service tech or engineer who has seen their scope probe or DMM probe almost vaporize when the accidentally probe a circuit that effectively causes a path to ground through the probe.

good luck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

RANT WARNING:

Isolation transformers are critical for any workbench, and after good
hand-tools the first thing any radio person should get... perhaps even
before said tools.

Variacs, on the other hand, are either very handy diagnostic tools or
worse-than-useless anchors fit only to let the magic smoke out of an
otherwise salvageable radio. I am not really sure if there is an in-between
other than their original function as light dimmers.

Without both current and voltage metering, they are worse-than-
useless. With the proper metering, they can be very handy tools.

Myths: A variac will help reform caps (with specific reference to tube/
valve radios).

Fact: Only on those vanishingly few radios with solid-state rectifiers
that pass B+ current at any voltage, and only if done over more time than
one cares to consider. Bench DC supplies are best for this typically futile
purpose in any case.

In the case of a tube rectifier, most of them do not start to pass DC
until the filament voltage reaches between 65% and 75% of nameplate rating. If the B+ on the particular radio is say.... 350V, that means that the first voltage the caps-to-be-reformed would see would be something between 227V and 263V... not exactly a soft-start.

Myth: A variac will allow one to apply voltage gently to a radio, so
as to discover problems before they become fatal.

Fact: No, not at all. True, a variac does allow a radio to see the
minimum amount of current to trigger its functions... an AA5 with bad filter
caps may begin to hum at 80V rather than 120V, similarly with a transformer
radio. But if the caps are not so bad as to show audible hum, the variac ceases to be useful. And a variac will *not* tell you whether a repaired radio is OK or not.

However, if the proper meters are put on the Isovariac, then some
real diagnosis can happen: An AA5 which should, by calculation draw say...
35 watts or so (0.3A), and draws 42 watts is dissipating 7 watts of heat
somewhere... perhaps the output transformer. And, unless one has calibrated
eyeballs, the difference of 7 watts will not show up on a dim-bulb tester.

Comes down to a current meter with fine enough increments to give
meaningful information. Such a tool is useful right down the line from initial diagnosis to testing the completed results.

End Rant. And it could have been much longer.

As to order-of-parts:
I keep the Heathkit IP 5220 (this one: http://www.byan-roper.org/steve/stev...-variable.html )

From what you are seeing, it is pretty clear that the Iso goes after the Variable in this design.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 7 November 2018 18:20:10 UTC, wrote:

RANT WARNING:

Myths: A variac will help reform caps (with specific reference to tube/
valve radios).

Fact: Only on those vanishingly few radios with solid-state rectifiers
that pass B+ current at any voltage, and only if done over more time than
one cares to consider. Bench DC supplies are best for this typically futile
purpose in any case.

In the case of a tube rectifier, most of them do not start to pass DC
until the filament voltage reaches between 65% and 75% of nameplate rating. If the B+ on the particular radio is say.... 350V, that means that the first voltage the caps-to-be-reformed would see would be something between 227V and 263V... not exactly a soft-start.

Not so. The trick is to meter the B+ and wind the variac up uberslowly around the point when the rectifier begins to conduct. That way the rectifier passes only tiny current and you can indeed wind the B+ up from close to nothing. BTDT. Of course there may be easier ways now.

It's true that their uses are very few nowadays. But marginally more than zero.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 2:02:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Not so. The trick is to meter the B+ and wind the variac up uberslowly around the point when the rectifier begins to conduct. That way the rectifier passes only tiny current and you can indeed wind the B+ up from close to nothing. BTDT. Of course there may be easier ways now.

It's true that their uses are very few nowadays. But marginally more than zero.

Rectifiers are go/no-go devices.
Variacs are not current-limiting devices.
The voltage a (tube) rectifier passes will be a function of the minimum trigger voltage on the filament as a percentage of the "correct" filament voltage x the "correct" B+ voltage. So, if the rectifier filament trigger voltage is 4 V vs. the nominal 5 V (80%), then the passed voltage will be nominal B+ x 0.80. There is no 'winding' up.

This is the same argument as "just a little bit pregnant". The logic is just as faulty.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

Myths: A variac will help reform caps (with specific reference to tube/
valve radios).

Fact: Only on those vanishingly few radios with solid-state rectifiers
that pass B+ current at any voltage, and only if done over more time than
one cares to consider. Bench DC supplies are best for this typically futile
purpose in any case.

In the case of a tube rectifier, most of them do not start to pass DC
until the filament voltage reaches between 65% and 75% of nameplate rating. If the B+ on the particular radio is say.... 350V, that means that the first voltage the caps-to-be-reformed would see would be something between 227V and 263V... not exactly a soft-start.

There is a 'more correct way" to do the reforming if one wants to try.
If a tube rectifier you pull that tube or tubes and install solid state
rectifiers. Then pull the other tubes to prevent cathode stripping.

Most electrolytic capacitors are formed at the factory at about 10 % or
so over the rated voltage. As they sit on the shelf they will degrade
somewhat. It sometimes makes sense to reform even new ones if they have
been on the shelf for many years. That is where a bench supply comes in
handy.

I wish I could find the magazine I had around 1965 give or take a few
years. In it was an automatic restorer. I think it used a bunch of
neon lights, but could be wrong. It may have been Electronics
Illistrated. Don't think it was Popular Electronics. Maybe Radio
Electronics.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 7 November 2018 19:13:17 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 2:02:27 PM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

Not so. The trick is to meter the B+ and wind the variac up uberslowly around the point when the rectifier begins to conduct. That way the rectifier passes only tiny current and you can indeed wind the B+ up from close to nothing. BTDT. Of course there may be easier ways now.

It's true that their uses are very few nowadays. But marginally more than zero.

Rectifiers are go/no-go devices.

valve rectifiers are not. The current they pass depends on filament temperature/voltage.

Variacs are not current-limiting devices.

they are voltage controllers. The rectifier is a current controller when run undervolted.

The voltage a (tube) rectifier passes will be a function of the minimum trigger voltage on the filament as a percentage of the "correct" filament voltage x the "correct" B+ voltage. So, if the rectifier filament trigger voltage is 4 V vs. the nominal 5 V (80%), then the passed voltage will be nominal B+ x 0.80. There is no 'winding' up.

I'm not at all clear about your argument, but they certainly do wind up on a variac. I've done it.

This is the same argument as "just a little bit pregnant". The logic is just as faulty.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Try it some time. You'll find out what you got wrong.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have a large (20 amp) Sola harmonically balanced constant
voltage transformer. I cut the neutral common and use a SPDT
center off switch, so I can select Utility Neutral, floating
(i.e. isolation) and Local Neutral (tied to the ground at
the transformer.)

Following that I have a 20 amp Variac, that I can wind up
from 0-132 VAC. With a 2-5-10 selectable amp meter.

Finally, a custom 4-terminal dynamic watt meter. 0-1500 watts.

What do I use it for? Very rarely.
The time I used it was to test the applied voltages on some
1947 to 1959 boat anchors to see "just how much over voltage"
they were at 125 vac line vs 110 vac line voltages.

Solution? Using a 5-10 amp filament transformer in the buck
mode to drop the line voltage back down to 115 vac.

Do I waste my time reforming capacitors? No. And certainly
NOT in customer equipment. Saving $5-20 on a repair is NOT
worth a warranty repair.

Sure, I'll fix it for free, but my reputation takes a hit.
"Why didn't you fix it right to begin with?"
Apparently, "because I was lazy" is not an appropriate answer.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

three_jeeps wrote:

Isolation transformer are used a lot in servicing certain type of
electronic equipment (e.g. tube TVs, amplifier, radio transmitters, etc.).

** But only those examples where the items have no AC supply isolation transformers - IOW they are *HOT CHASSIS* designs. All of them very old and very obsolete.

Contemporary use of 1:1 isolation transformers would be for servicing devices like SMPSs.

It removes the direct path to ground of the electrical power,
significantly reducing the chance of death.

** That is wrong.

Using an isolation transformer allows one to connect the common rail ( or any other point) of an off-line SMPS to safety ground. After which you can use a scope in the normal way to investigate various waveforms, maybe small ones like MOSFET drive signals.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, 8 November 2018 02:20:42 UTC, Phil Allison wrote:
three_jeeps wrote:

Isolation transformer are used a lot in servicing certain type of
electronic equipment (e.g. tube TVs, amplifier, radio transmitters, etc..).

** But only those examples where the items have no AC supply isolation transformers - IOW they are *HOT CHASSIS* designs. All of them very old and very obsolete.

Well, they were standard & widespread in the 1990s.

Contemporary use of 1:1 isolation transformers would be for servicing devices like SMPSs.

It removes the direct path to ground of the electrical power,
significantly reducing the chance of death.

** That is wrong.

Using an isolation transformer allows one to connect the common rail ( or any other point) of an off-line SMPS to safety ground. After which you can use a scope in the normal way to investigate various waveforms, maybe small ones like MOSFET drive signals.

One can, but they are also used to reduce shock risk.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

Isolation transformer are used a lot in servicing certain type of
electronic equipment (e.g. tube TVs, amplifier, radio transmitters,

** But only those examples where the items have no AC supply isolation
transformers - IOW they are *HOT CHASSIS* designs. All of them very old

and very obsolete.

Well, they were standard & widespread in the 1990s.

** Live chassis tube TVs and radios " standard & widespread " in the 1990s ????

FYI:

The OP did NIT even mention "live chassis" so his post was wrong and so is yours.

Contemporary use of 1:1 isolation transformers would be for
servicing devices like SMPSs.

It removes the direct path to ground of the electrical power,
significantly reducing the chance of death.

** That is wrong.

Using an isolation transformer allows one to connect the common
rail ( or any other point) of an off-line SMPS to safety ground.
After which you can use a scope in the normal way to investigate
various waveforms, maybe small ones like MOSFET drive signals.

One can, but they are also used to reduce shock risk.

** Biggest safety myth out.

Using an isolation transformer unnecessarily INCREASES electric shock risk.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, 8 November 2018 06:37:49 UTC, Phil Allison wrote:
tabby wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

Isolation transformer are used a lot in servicing certain type of
electronic equipment (e.g. tube TVs, amplifier, radio transmitters,

** But only those examples where the items have no AC supply isolation
transformers - IOW they are *HOT CHASSIS* designs. All of them very old

and very obsolete.

Well, they were standard & widespread in the 1990s.

** Live chassis tube TVs and radios " standard & widespread " in the 1990s ????

Live chassis TVs were very common in the 90s. Live chassis radios disappeared in the 60s.

FYI:

The OP did NIT even mention "live chassis" so his post was wrong and so is yours.

I was responding to your mention of 'hot chassis' not the OP's. What the OP mentioned is irrelevant.

Contemporary use of 1:1 isolation transformers would be for
servicing devices like SMPSs.

It removes the direct path to ground of the electrical power,
significantly reducing the chance of death.

** That is wrong.

Using an isolation transformer allows one to connect the common
rail ( or any other point) of an off-line SMPS to safety ground.
After which you can use a scope in the normal way to investigate
various waveforms, maybe small ones like MOSFET drive signals.

One can, but they are also used to reduce shock risk.

** Biggest safety myth out.

Using an isolation transformer unnecessarily INCREASES electric shock risk.

The UK government certainly disagrees with you. We have used isolation transformers for decades in bathrooms to reduce shock risk. Of course you're free to explain your pov.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

One of the things you will learn about Phil is that he suffers from a congenital fixation with the fallacy of illicit transference - meaning that what is true of the parts is true of the whole. My cat is grey, therefore all cats are grey (apologies to Ben Franklin).

There are unique conditions in which an isolation transformer does not prevent the risk of electric shock. Therefore they increase the risk of electric shock.

Idiots will find a way to solve for the most idiot-proof safety measures as conceived, because they were not conceived by idiots. And if one inserts one's self into an electrical circuit, one will be shocked.

If you want to twist the dragon's tail, just get Phil started on newly-made multi-section can-caps.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, 8 November 2018 16:31:37 UTC, wrote:

One of the things you will learn about Phil is that he suffers from a congenital fixation with the fallacy of illicit transference - meaning that what is true of the parts is true of the whole. My cat is grey, therefore all cats are grey (apologies to Ben Franklin).

There are unique conditions in which an isolation transformer does not prevent the risk of electric shock. Therefore they increase the risk of electric shock.

Idiots will find a way to solve for the most idiot-proof safety measures as conceived, because they were not conceived by idiots. And if one inserts one's self into an electrical circuit, one will be shocked.

If you want to twist the dragon's tail, just get Phil started on newly-made multi-section can-caps.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I know he's a character. Some things he understands well, but no-one gets everything right.

I've put myself into an electrical circuit numerous times without getting shocked.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've put myself into an electrical circuit numerous times without getting shocked.... that I remember.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 3:38:08 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

.....I've gotten my share of RF burns, but those
don't count as getting shocked.

Sure they do. It's different in that you get a shock that can burn right to the bone and cauterize itself so it doesn't bleed. Got lots of those. Yep, good times.

Still get whacked mostly by power supplies that hold 400V across the PFC cap for a couple of days. Those will get your attention.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, 8 November 2018 20:38:08 UTC, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 09:50:30 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

I've put myself into an electrical circuit numerous times without getting shocked.

Were you wearing a Faraday cage or chain mail armor suit?
https://esfstream.com/faraday-cage-suit/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevencaton/sets/72157631825725155/

No. I might go & connect myself to 10,000v tonight

I haven't been zapped since tubes and hi-v were displaced by lower
voltage transistors. I've gotten my share of RF burns, but those
don't count as getting shocked.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

Well, they were standard & widespread in the 1990s.

** Live chassis tube TVs and radios " standard & widespread " in the 1990s ????

Live chassis TVs were very common in the 90s.

** But not TUBE sets as the above requires.

I have a 1990s 12 inch GE color portable where the whole chassis is live and only isolated by the antenna balun.

** Bull****. I was responding to the OP post - so what he wrote is totally relevant.

Contemporary use of 1:1 isolation transformers would be for
servicing devices like SMPSs.

It removes the direct path to ground of the electrical power,
significantly reducing the chance of death.

** That is wrong.

Using an isolation transformer allows one to connect the common
rail ( or any other point) of an off-line SMPS to safety ground.
After which you can use a scope in the normal way to investigate
various waveforms, maybe small ones like MOSFET drive signals.

One can, but they are also used to reduce shock risk.

** Biggest safety myth out.

Using an isolation transformer unnecessarily INCREASES electric shock risk.

The UK government certainly disagrees with you.

** More arrogant bull****.

We have used isolation transformers for decades in bathrooms ....

** FFS you congenital context shifimg **bull****ter **

- the TOPIC here is electronics servicing with an Iso in the AC supply!!!!!!

Go away, stay there.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 6:51:21 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

.... Phil

Jeebus Phil you were doing so well recently.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

There are unique conditions in which an isolation transformer
does not prevent the risk of electric shock.
Therefore they increase the risk of electric shock.

** What I wrote was that if the use of an iso tranny is not essential, you are better off not using one and taking all the usual precautions instead.

This detailed article by Rod Elliot explains why using an iso is hazardous - not that reading it will have the slightest impact on wooden heads like you or NT.

http://sound.whsites.net/articles/iso-xfmr.htm

FYI:

The use of an RCD, ELCB or other earth leakage detector ( aka safety switch) on a workbench is a safety essential.

..... Phil