DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Activate PIR xmtr (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/619535-activate-pir-xmtr.html)

OGER September 23rd 18 08:11 PM

Activate PIR xmtr

Suggestions please.

Taking a driveway PIR xmtr to modify for other purposes with no actual
internal mods.

Thinking of using some emitter taped to the PIR window to activate the xmtr.

Something as simple as a blinking LED to keep the xmtr transmitting
while the LED is blinking.

Using one of these.
4VWIN Wireless Home Security Driveway Alarm

https://www.amazon.com/4VWIN-Wireles...e+door+monitor

or
Harbor Freight Home Security Driveway Alarm
https://www.harborfreight.com/wirele...tem-62447.html

Suggestions please.
Switch State
Open - LED off and no PIR activation
Closed - LED blinks to maintain PIR activation.

Option 1:
blinking LED and switch and battery.

Option 2:
555 timer, LED, switch and battery.

Or ???

What is needed to activate the PIR. LED color or type ?

Receiver will just be the reeiver's flashing LED with the audio function
disabled.
I think it is a transducer that I can either smother or cut out of the
circuit if it is not part of the receiver function.

What do you think?

Jasen Betts[_2_] September 23rd 18 10:22 PM

Activate PIR xmtr

On 2018-09-23, OGER wrote:
Suggestions please.

Taking a driveway PIR xmtr to modify for other purposes with no actual
internal mods.

What is needed to activate the PIR. LED color or type ?

changing thermal infrared
small 100 ohm resistor fed by 1Hz 5V square wave

--
ت

John Larkin[_4_] September 23rd 18 10:34 PM

Activate PIR xmtr

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 12:11:16 -0700, OGER wrote:

Active Passive? PIRs don't transmit.

[...]

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

OGER[_2_] September 24th 18 02:07 AM

Activate PIR xmtr

When looking for the LED, what description do I look for ?
I have never seen anything called a thermal LED.
DigiKey have them. Their on-line catalog is impossible to find anything
especially LEDs.
Any part number for me ?

I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,

The driveway monitor is almost all I need and if I had a schematic I
could modify it internally. Looking at the circuit board does not give
enough info.

Rheilly Phoull[_2_] September 24th 18 03:15 AM

Activate PIR xmtr

On 24/09/2018 9:07 AM, OGER wrote:
When looking for the LED, what description do I look for ?
I have never seen anything called a thermal LED.
DigiKey have them.* Their on-line catalog is impossible to find anything
especially LEDs.
Any part number for me ?

I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,

The driveway monitor is almost all I need and if I had a schematic I
could modify it internally.* Looking at the circuit board does not give
enough info.

You could pick off a signal from the down limit switch to drive a
transmitter or direct wire to a led inside the home or whatever.

Jasen Betts[_2_] September 24th 18 08:35 AM

Activate PIR xmtr

On 2018-09-24, OGER wrote:
When looking for the LED, what description do I look for ?
I have never seen anything called a thermal LED.

you need a heat emitter, not a light emitter, use a small heat source, like
a small lamp or a resistor

an LM555 powered by 5V blinking a 0.3W 6V lamp would probably do the trick

digikey part number CM756-ND is a 14V lamp but using lower voltage
will make it last longer and produce more infrared than a 5V lamp

Wire the 555 discharge and output pins in parallel, this lamp is
borderline max load for a 555 so combining the two outputs will help..

----+-----------------+-- +5V
1Meg | |
+-[R1]--------|--------+--(@)---+
| | |
| +--------+ | lamp
| | | |
| | . . . .|. . . . |
| | . VCC(8) . |
| | . . |
| +--RES(4) OUT(3)--+
| . LM555 . |
+-------TH(6) DIS(7)--+
| . .
+-------TR(2) CV(5)-----+
1uF | . . |
===== . GND(1) . |
| . . . .|. . . . ===== 100nf
| | |
+-------------+ |
| |
+-----------+

---+-- 0V

run frequency is about 1.4Hz

--

Bye.
Jasen

Terry Pinnell[_4_] September 25th 18 10:28 AM

Activate PIR xmtr

OGER wrote:

snip

I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,

I must be missing something. Why do you need the PIR to achieve that
objective?

In my burglar alarm wiring loop I included an improvised microswitch
toggled by the state of the garage door.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

[email protected] September 25th 18 03:22 PM

Activate PIR xmtr

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 6:07:58 PM UTC-7, OGER wrote:
I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,

I got a garage door monitor from Sears. It has a device (powered by a CR2032 battery) that attaches to the door, and it transmits a signal when the door is open (mercury switch?). A receiver in the house has red and green LEDs, and it shows red when the door is up and green when the door is down.

I think it cost me about US$40, but a quick Google search shows them from Chamberlain and LiftMaster for under $100. Since Sears and OSH are both going out of business, you might be able to find one at a clearance price.

Of course, this approach deprives you of the joy of building one for yourself.

OGER[_3_] September 25th 18 06:19 PM

Activate PIR xmtr

Because it is there !
The least mod to the driveway monitor is desired.
That way if in the future the PIR xmtr fails I can simply replace it or
the receiver if it fails.

So making the PIR detect something and activating the transmitter so the
receiver will flash as it normally would.

Terry Pinnell wrote:

snip

OGER[_3_] September 25th 18 06:21 PM

Activate PIR xmtr

That receiver has a tiny LED, I need more brightness to illuminate the
far side of the room. The driveway monitor has three leds and is bright.