Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default Activate PIR xmtr

Suggestions please.

Taking a driveway PIR xmtr to modify for other purposes with no actual
internal mods.

Thinking of using some emitter taped to the PIR window to activate the xmtr.

Something as simple as a blinking LED to keep the xmtr transmitting
while the LED is blinking.

Using one of these.
4VWIN Wireless Home Security Driveway Alarm

https://www.amazon.com/4VWIN-Wireles...e+door+monitor

or
Harbor Freight Home Security Driveway Alarm
https://www.harborfreight.com/wirele...tem-62447.html

Suggestions please.
Switch State
Open - LED off and no PIR activation
Closed - LED blinks to maintain PIR activation.

Option 1:
blinking LED and switch and battery.

Option 2:
555 timer, LED, switch and battery.

Or ???

What is needed to activate the PIR. LED color or type ?

Receiver will just be the reeiver's flashing LED with the audio function
disabled.
I think it is a transducer that I can either smother or cut out of the
circuit if it is not part of the receiver function.

What do you think?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 2018-09-23, OGER wrote:
Suggestions please.

Taking a driveway PIR xmtr to modify for other purposes with no actual
internal mods.

What is needed to activate the PIR. LED color or type ?

changing thermal infrared
small 100 ohm resistor fed by 1Hz 5V square wave

--
ت
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 12:11:16 -0700, OGER wrote:

Active Passive? PIRs don't transmit.

[...]

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

When looking for the LED, what description do I look for ?
I have never seen anything called a thermal LED.
DigiKey have them. Their on-line catalog is impossible to find anything
especially LEDs.
Any part number for me ?

I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,

The driveway monitor is almost all I need and if I had a schematic I
could modify it internally. Looking at the circuit board does not give
enough info.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 24/09/2018 9:07 AM, OGER wrote:
When looking for the LED, what description do I look for ?
I have never seen anything called a thermal LED.
DigiKey have them.Â* Their on-line catalog is impossible to find anything
especially LEDs.
Any part number for me ?

I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,

The driveway monitor is almost all I need and if I had a schematic I
could modify it internally.Â* Looking at the circuit board does not give
enough info.

You could pick off a signal from the down limit switch to drive a
transmitter or direct wire to a led inside the home or whatever.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 2018-09-24, OGER wrote:
When looking for the LED, what description do I look for ?
I have never seen anything called a thermal LED.

you need a heat emitter, not a light emitter, use a small heat source, like
a small lamp or a resistor

an LM555 powered by 5V blinking a 0.3W 6V lamp would probably do the trick

digikey part number CM756-ND is a 14V lamp but using lower voltage
will make it last longer and produce more infrared than a 5V lamp

Wire the 555 discharge and output pins in parallel, this lamp is
borderline max load for a 555 so combining the two outputs will help..

----+-----------------+-- +5V
1Meg | |
+-[R1]--------|--------+--(@)---+
| | |
| +--------+ | lamp
| | | |
| | . . . .|. . . . |
| | . VCC(8) . |
| | . . |
| +--RES(4) OUT(3)--+
| . LM555 . |
+-------TH(6) DIS(7)--+
| . .
+-------TR(2) CV(5)-----+
1uF | . . |
===== . GND(1) . |
| . . . .|. . . . ===== 100nf
| | |
+-------------+ |
| |
+-----------+

---+-- 0V

run frequency is about 1.4Hz

--

Bye.
Jasen

DigiKey have them. Their on-line catalog is impossible to find anything
especially LEDs.
Any part number for me ?

I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,

The driveway monitor is almost all I need and if I had a schematic I
could modify it internally. Looking at the circuit board does not give
enough info.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

OGER wrote:

snip

I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,

I must be missing something. Why do you need the PIR to achieve that
objective?

In my burglar alarm wiring loop I included an improvised microswitch
toggled by the state of the garage door.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 6:07:58 PM UTC-7, OGER wrote:
I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,

I got a garage door monitor from Sears. It has a device (powered by a CR2032 battery) that attaches to the door, and it transmits a signal when the door is open (mercury switch?). A receiver in the house has red and green LEDs, and it shows red when the door is up and green when the door is down.

I think it cost me about US$40, but a quick Google search shows them from Chamberlain and LiftMaster for under $100. Since Sears and OSH are both going out of business, you might be able to find one at a clearance price.

Of course, this approach deprives you of the joy of building one for yourself.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Because it is there !
The least mod to the driveway monitor is desired.
That way if in the future the PIR xmtr fails I can simply replace it or
the receiver if it fails.

So making the PIR detect something and activating the transmitter so the
receiver will flash as it normally would.

Terry Pinnell wrote:
OGER wrote:

snip

I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,

I must be missing something. Why do you need the PIR to achieve that
objective?

In my burglar alarm wiring loop I included an improvised microswitch
toggled by the state of the garage door.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 9/23/2018 2:11 PM, OGER wrote:
Suggestions please.

Taking a driveway PIR xmtr to modify for other purposes with no actual
internal mods.

The why did you post that you needed a schematic?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mine is a tilt up door that the wind will wiggle so a magnetic switch
probably will not remain aligned.

anyway, for $12, I get a PIR transmitter and receiver with a specific
channel assignment. No wiring between them is required. battery life
is over a year for the xmtr since I use an external battery pack.

I currently use such a setup to monitor motion in my home and the xmtr
gets activate many times during the day proving battery life.

Terry Schwartz wrote:
On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 12:22:40 PM UTC-5, OGER wrote:
That receiver has a tiny LED, I need more brightness to illuminate the
far side of the room. The driveway monitor has three leds and is bright.

wrote:
On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 6:07:58 PM UTC-7, OGER wrote:
I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,
I got a garage door monitor from Sears. It has a device (powered by a CR2032 battery) that attaches to the door, and it transmits a signal when the door is open (mercury switch?). A receiver in the house has red and green LEDs, and it shows red when the door is up and green when the door is down.

I think it cost me about US$40, but a quick Google search shows them from Chamberlain and LiftMaster for under $100. Since Sears and OSH are both going out of business, you might be able to find one at a clearance price.

Of course, this approach deprives you of the joy of building one for yourself.

I wired magnetic alarm switches on my garage doors, stole power for the circuit from the IR "eye" circuit, and ran it to bright blue LED's right inside my service door in the house. They are mounted in a low voltage box. Super bright and easy to see from across the whole lower level of the house.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Obviuosly so I could see if I could remove the PIR detector and
substitute a mercury switch for garage door tilt up.

Modify the receiver to eliminate the sounder and substitute brighter
LEDs for the three that currently are part of the design.

John S wrote:
On 9/23/2018 2:11 PM, OGER wrote:
Suggestions please.

Taking a driveway PIR xmtr to modify for other purposes with no actual
internal mods.

The why did you post that you needed a schematic?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How to win friends and influence people!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

John S wrote:
On 9/23/2018 2:11 PM, OGER wrote:
Suggestions please.

Taking a driveway PIR xmtr to modify for other purposes with no actual
internal mods.

The why did you post that you needed a schematic?

That was never mentioned until now. How could it be obvious? I'm
thinking you are a troll.

*plonk*
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I am not a troll but I can see that many here have big prejudice problems.
Some think they are so smart and they are generating fake news right here.

I come here seeking help to a problem and get hog wash.

A few did make some suggestion worth investigating. Thanks to them.

Strange group here.

A friend of mine gave me the best suggestion and he is only a technician.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 12:25:37 PM UTC-4, Terry Schwartz wrote:
I think you will find that many of us are "only technicians".....

Some of us, not even that. Just hobbyists.

Typically, well-grounded in the practical, however.

And, I dunno, our neighbor has a garage door with a floor switch tied to his home-security system. It indicates on his keypad, and if he tries to arm with it open, it announces "Garage Door Open". I expect that two inches open = Open, but were I to bother with garage doors, I would want to know if it were open even a little bit.

Point being that this is an off-the-shelf device

https://www.amazon.com/Overhead-Gara.../dp/B01KY938HS

Or, even one of those automated doorbells that rings several hundred feet away when a door opens.

No muss, no fuss.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 12:06:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

That's a very similar magnetic switch to the one I installed. Only I placed mine at the top of the door, on the header. Magnet is on the door itself. A lesson learned is do NOT buy the cheap 50 cent plastic bodied magnetic alarm switches, buy the good quality switches as shown. Save yourself a ton of aggravation.