Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ECC memory module modification?

Some time ago I found Intel video that shows the benefit of ECC memory.
The video presents modified ECC memory module with a switch that induces
memory error, then it shows how i5 can't handle such error and how Xeon
processor can. Here is the video in question, they show module at time
28-29s:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...r-servers.html

I'd like to have such module for demonstrating purposes. I wrote on
Intel forum but after some time it occured that it is impossible to get
the schematic of the modification from them (obviously...).

Is it possible to figure out how to make such modification?
Theoretically, what modification would probably work and would not
damage motherboard/CPU? :-)

I would appreciate your thoughts.

thanks
geos
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I am not usually one to send people elsewhere, but this question might be better answered in sci.electronics.design. They do some embedded systems etc.. so they might be more familiar with the hardware. I used to be a hardware guy but not at that level. Plus I got out of it shortly after Pentiums came out. Well not that shortly. Needless to say I am full of useless information now.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 22 September 2018 20:09:51 UTC+1, geos wrote:
Some time ago I found Intel video that shows the benefit of ECC memory.
The video presents modified ECC memory module with a switch that induces
memory error, then it shows how i5 can't handle such error and how Xeon
processor can. Here is the video in question, they show module at time
28-29s:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...r-servers.html

I'd like to have such module for demonstrating purposes. I wrote on
Intel forum but after some time it occured that it is impossible to get
the schematic of the modification from them (obviously...).

Is it possible to figure out how to make such modification?
Theoretically, what modification would probably work and would not
damage motherboard/CPU? :-)

I would appreciate your thoughts.

thanks
geos

probably quicker to do than discuss. Attach a switch to a random line to resistor then to one of the power rails. If it doesn't work, try connecting it to another line.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

geos wrote:
Some time ago I found Intel video that shows the benefit of ECC memory.
The video presents modified ECC memory module with a switch that induces
memory error, then it shows how i5 can't handle such error and how Xeon
processor can. Here is the video in question, they show module at time
28-29s:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...r-servers.html

I'd like to have such module for demonstrating purposes. I wrote on
Intel forum but after some time it occured that it is impossible to get
the schematic of the modification from them (obviously...).

Is it possible to figure out how to make such modification?
Theoretically, what modification would probably work and would not
damage motherboard/CPU? :-)

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Interesting problem. Two memory modules need to be hacked. You need a
pinout:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...dimm-paper.pdf

Then you need to debounce a push button switch and twiddle one bit for
one read cycle, regardless of how long the button's pushed.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don, KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;