Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Blown Electros

Has anyone ever had a large electrolytic cap (like in a PSU) fail,
pouring out acrid smoke that fills the room but leaves no other evidence
whatsoever of it having failed (like no staining on the PCB or even the
cap itself - and no bulges either)?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17-9-2018 2:20, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Has anyone ever had a large electrolytic cap (like in a PSU) fail,
pouring out acrid smoke that fills the room but leaves no other evidence
whatsoever of it having failed (like no staining on the PCB or even the
cap itself - and no bulges either)?

Yeah... Four 300v (2 serial/parallel) in a powersupply
for 500 volt out.
Reverse connected.
Exploded after about 10 seconds.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sure. I will not suggest that it happens "all the time", but I have had a couple of big, honking (5,000uf @ 80V) coupling caps go off like Roman candles, leaving no other marks and giving no warning. These things had little rubber plugs on top - and the only visible evidence after the show was that the plug was missing. Made in Scotland, as it happens.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 6:18:21 AM UTC-4, J.B. Wood wrote:

Hello, and if it isn't Scotch, it's craaaap! Sincerely, and with
apologies to the creators of a very old Dan Aykroyd SNL sketch),

Blended scotch is not fit to clean toilets.

Balvenie Double-Wood is quite nice, however, for a mid-range single malt.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I remember my high-school English teacher explaining that Seltics lived in Boston and were mostly over six (6) feet. Keltics, on the other hand, live in Ireland, Scotland and Wales, and parts of Brittany and come in all sizes and shapes. Scotch was for drinking, Scots were people, scotties were dogs (we have one), and Scottish was the generic.

His favorite phrase, which I use on occasion was: "I know what you said, but I am still trying to discern what you mean."

He was a stickler, to this day, whenever I am asked "Can I.... ", my very nearly instant reply is: "I don't know, can you?" Whenever I meet classmates, now over 50 years later, we still drop that line on occasion.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 09:35:51 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:

My grandfather was born in a peat hut on the Isle of Skye. To the end
of his days he insisted on being called a Scotchman, not a Scotsman.

Actually they're both correct forms.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/18/18 6:04 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 09:35:51 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:

My grandfather was born in a peat hut on the Isle of Skye. To the end
of his days he insisted on being called a Scotchman, not a Scotsman.

Actually they're both correct forms.

Well, forty years ago you could have argued it out with him, but I would
have bet on him even at that date.

He arrived at the Western Front in time to be at the sharp end of the
battle of St. Julien in April 1915, and served at Ypres, Passchendaele,
Arras, and Vimy Ridge, continuing through the Hindenburg offensives and
right up to the armistice. His battalion, the 8th Canadian Infantry
(aka the Royal Winnipeg Rifles (aka the Little Black Devils)) had the
very rare distinction of never having given up a trench throughout the
war.

Of course that near-suicidal bravery meant that they sustained 500%
casualties in the process. That was a way they had back then--Granddad
was badly gassed at St. Julien (the first use of gas on the Western
Front) but as soon as he was vaguely vertical they sent him back to ther
front. He was one of about 50 survivors of the original thousand
volunteers, and despite having only half his lung function, lived to be 87.

I wish I'd known then what I know now about the history of the RWR--he
never talked about the war even when asked. The most he'd do was to rub
his thumb and forefinger together and say "A man's life wasn't worth
that." I hope to see him again one day.

But I digress.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs