Old September 11th 18, 02:41 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Kutztown XXXIX

Vintage 'boom boxes'?

Old September 11th 18, 03:50 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 9:42:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Vintage 'boom boxes'?

More than a few. Look in the pictures on the DVHRC website.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old September 11th 18, 06:35 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks. Looked at photos from several years' meets. Did not see any.

Looking for era 1980-85: JVC, Toshiba, LaSonic etc. blasters.
Old September 11th 18, 07:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 1:35:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks. Looked at photos from several years' meets. Did not see any.

Looking for era 1980-85: JVC, Toshiba, LaSonic etc. blasters.

There are always some. One guy specializes in post 1980 'decline of stereo' equipment, another specializes in "everything else", and brings 2-3 each year.

Then, one of the buskers at the dinner uses one for his background music.

Not to put too fine a point on it, John tends to focus on more vintage items and more presentable tables than maintained by each of the above.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old September 11th 18, 08:11 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2018/09/11 6:41 AM, wrote:
Vintage 'boom boxes'?

I have a RCA RADIOLA 24 portable suitcase battery radio from 1925 that
has a built in speaker..

Vintage enough?

John ;-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Old September 11th 18, 09:10 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Vintage enough?"

With all due respect, these *are* my "cathedrals":

https://www.flickr.com/photos/spanie...16780/sizes/z/

They sound better than their equivalents today, and most
have shortwave in addition to FM/AM, cassette, and provisions
to play sound from a smart phone or iPod, all in a portable
package with a handle.
Old September 11th 18, 09:31 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 4:10:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:
"Vintage enough?"

With all due respect, these *are* my "cathedrals":

https://www.flickr.com/photos/spanie...16780/sizes/z/

They sound better than their equivalents today, and most
have shortwave in addition to FM/AM, cassette, and provisions
to play sound from a smart phone or iPod, all in a portable
package with a handle.

Not my speed but some of those are pretty good radios. I couldn't count the number of them I serviced over the years. The cassettes were always the weak points, but the tuners, amps, and speakers are pretty stout.
Old September 11th 18, 10:23 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

John-Del:

Too bad so many of them back in the day got
slammed between school-bus doors, if you
know what I mean. Plus, boxes of that era
are at least twenty years past the end of their
yard sale circuit. I do not see the justification
of charging 2-3x original 1980s retail to sell
one on e-bay.
Old September 12th 18, 02:28 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 5:23:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
John-Del:

I do not see the justification
of charging 2-3x original 1980s retail to sell
one on e-bay.

You can "charge" what you want. No one is being forced to buy. What someone is willing to pay is another thing altogether. If people are paying 2X or more than 80s retail, then that's what they're worth.
Old September 12th 18, 03:41 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

The thing is, ghetto-blasters are not current
technology. 99% of folks under 30 do not
find carrying around such an item all that
appealing.