DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Service mode for Sharp TV - manually add channels (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/616806-service-mode-sharp-tv-manually-add-channels.html)

Peabody[_4_] August 13th 18 05:04 AM

Service mode for Sharp TV - manually add channels

I have a Sharp dumb TV, model LC-32LB150U. I'm looking at cutting the cord,
and need to figure out what local channels I can get. With an indoor
antenna, I've found that the antenna pointing direction makes a big
difference in which channels show up on auto-scan, so I'm unable to get all
the potentially receivable channels in the channel list at one time. The
TV's menu offers no option to add channels manually. I can delete channels,
but not add them.

So I wondered if there's a service mode or menu, and if so, how do I get to
it, and is it likely to allow me to add channels manually?

If that doesn't work, can anyone suggest how to solve this problem? I was
thinking an antenna rotator would solve the actual reception problem, but
all the channels have to be in the auto-detect list somehow. I would rather
avoid two antennas, although that might work temporarily to get the list
right.

Sjouke Burry[_2_] August 13th 18 06:40 AM

On 13-8-2018 6:04, Peabody wrote:
[...]

Get a circular antenna.

Adrian Caspersz August 13th 18 12:18 PM

On 13/08/18 05:04, Peabody wrote:
I have a Sharp dumb TV, model LC-32LB150U. I'm looking at cutting the cord,
and need to figure out what local channels I can get. With an indoor
antenna, I've found that the antenna pointing direction makes a big
difference in which channels show up on auto-scan, so I'm unable to get all
the potentially receivable channels in the channel list at one time. The
TV's menu offers no option to add channels manually. I can delete channels,
but not add them.

So I wondered if there's a service mode or menu, and if so, how do I get to
it, and is it likely to allow me to add channels manually?

Silly omission of Sharp. I don't think I've seen sets here (UK) with
manual digital tuning missing.

If that doesn't work, can anyone suggest how to solve this problem? I was
thinking an antenna rotator would solve the actual reception problem, but
all the channels have to be in the auto-detect list somehow. I would rather
avoid two antennas, although that might work temporarily to get the list
right.

An outboard receiver box with manual tuning? Or switch between the two,
using a antenna splitter to supply both.

--
Adrian C

Fox's Mercantile August 13th 18 12:57 PM

On 8/12/18 11:04 PM, Peabody wrote:
If that doesn't work, can anyone suggest how to solve this problem?

An omnidirectional antenna.
https://antennadeals.com/HD8000.html

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

John-Del[_2_] August 13th 18 11:04 PM

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 12:04:58 AM UTC-4, Peabody wrote:
[...]

I'm not aware of any TV that will allow you to add OTA digital channels manually; they must be scanned for. Some better sorted TVs will give you the option of rescanning and *keeping* the previously scanned channels. This allows you to scan, rotate the antenna, rescan, rotate again etc. until you get all the available channels in your area. Most TVs however dump the memory every time you scan.

whit3rd August 16th 18 12:08 AM

Service mode for Sharp TV - manually add channels

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 9:04:58 PM UTC-7, Peabody wrote:
I have a Sharp dumb TV,... need to figure out what local channels I can get.

It can be done by experimenting with aiming a directional antenna, but
it can also be done by visiting one of the websites that contains
station location info.

Antennaweb.org is one, and the FCC covers the US situation pretty well
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

[email protected] August 18th 18 05:46 PM

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 7:57:46 AM UTC-4, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 8/12/18 11:04 PM, Peabody wrote:
If that doesn't work, can anyone suggest how to solve this problem?

An omnidirectional antenna.
https://antennadeals.com/HD8000.html

I just looked up "directional antenna" in a 'shopping" search engine and they seem to cost between around just $4.00 all-the-way-up-to over $6,000 ! I wonder what differences they offer?

Sjouke Burry[_2_] August 18th 18 06:42 PM

On 18-8-2018 18:46, wrote:
On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 7:57:46 AM UTC-4, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 8/12/18 11:04 PM, Peabody wrote:
If that doesn't work, can anyone suggest how to solve this problem?

An omnidirectional antenna.
https://antennadeals.com/HD8000.html

I just looked up "directional antenna" in a 'shopping" search engine and they seem to cost between around just $4.00 all-the-way-up-to over $6,000 ! I wonder what differences they offer?

Pennysensetivity is a much used tool in production,

Chuck[_20_] August 19th 18 03:38 PM

Service mode for Sharp TV - manually add channels

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 09:46:07 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 7:57:46 AM UTC-4, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 8/12/18 11:04 PM, Peabody wrote:
If that doesn't work, can anyone suggest how to solve this problem?

An omnidirectional antenna.
https://antennadeals.com/HD8000.html

I just looked up "directional antenna" in a 'shopping" search engine and they seem to cost between around just $4.00 all-the-way-up-to over $6,000 ! I wonder what differences they offer?

The first thing you need to ascertain is if you have a mix of UHF and
VHF channels you want to receive. If you don't have any VHF channels,
you can buy a UHF only antenna. Then you need to find out the signal
strength of the stations in your area. Then buy an antenna-amplifier
that will provide adequate gain to reliably receive these stations.