Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default What is the purpose of this automobile microphone

I don't get it:

Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ Microphone for Car DVD Receivers

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-CD-MC...ustomerReviews

Why does someone need a microphone for a DVD receiver. Are people
doing karioke in the car?
I thought people want microphones if they are connecting the car
radio to the cellphone, but the ad doesn't mention cellphones.

And it says "Placement: The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone should be
placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing
forward. " So doesn't that mean if you're rear-ended your head will go
back and whack this thing, which has got to be worse for your head than
hitting the head restraint.

And what is it equalizing?

One of the answers to a questions is "No. It's made for auto eq the
pioneer radio. A mic won't work on your auxiliary on your radio."

Is that true, a mic won't work through AUX? I thought that AUX is
normally TRRS and a TS input will still match up with TRRS enough to
likely work. Or at least possibly work. I'm not going to damage
anything by trying, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 05/08/2018 08:23, micky wrote:
[...]

Active noise cancellation? would only work for one person, if that and
limited to simple repetitive noise, adding antiphase of the received noise
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair micky wrote:

And what is it equalizing?

A number of car stereos have a setup that is used when first installed to
automatically set the volume and eq (bass/treble) for each speaker so it is
optimized.

When in that mode, the radio plays a number of tones and white noise one
speaker at a time to figure out the best pattern for the driver. That
microphone is used to listen to those tones. You aren't in the car, you
place the mic where your head would be and get out of the car and let the
radio run the tests.

You don't leave it in circuit, after the radio does it's thing, it's
removed.

Both my original radio and the current one has modes for "driver only",
"front only" and "4 passenger". It's just a tweak to get the best sound
based on how many people are in the car.

Unless you have a radio that does the auto configuration, there is no point
having one of those mics.

-bruce

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 10:24:39 +0000, Bruce Esquibel wrote:

When in that mode, the radio plays a number of tones and white noise one
speaker at a time to figure out the best pattern for the driver. That
microphone is used to listen to those tones. You aren't in the car, you
place the mic where your head would be and get out of the car and let
the radio run the tests.

I thought I'd heard all the daft features modern cars have until I read
this. Talk about needless complexity.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 5 August 2018 14:44:43 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 10:24:39 +0000, Bruce Esquibel wrote:

When in that mode, the radio plays a number of tones and white noise one
speaker at a time to figure out the best pattern for the driver. That
microphone is used to listen to those tones. You aren't in the car, you
place the mic where your head would be and get out of the car and let
the radio run the tests.

I thought I'd heard all the daft features modern cars have until I read
this. Talk about needless complexity.

It's a fairly effective way to get better sound from small speakers in nonideal locations.

Most consumer products are needless now in this society.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 06:50:06 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

It's a fairly effective way to get better sound from small speakers in
nonideal locations.

Maybe if you have perfectly good hearing. At my age, I don't, so the best
way for me to set up a sound system would be by personal listening and
fiddling.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 03:23:54 -0400, micky
wrote:

Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ Microphone for Car DVD Receivers
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-CD-MC...ustomerReviews

Why does someone need a microphone for a DVD receiver.

Auto-EQ. Please read through the questions and answers at the bottom
of the Amazon page.

The way it's suppose to work is you termorarily plug in the mic and
place it at your favorite listening position. You then punch the
Auto-EQ button, which adjusts the delays and levels to the speakers so
that the player sounds reasonable. You then remove the microphone and
put it some place where you can lose it. That's why there are
replacement mics for sale on Amazon.

Notice that you can only adjust the equalization automatically with
the microphone. There is no manual adjustment on this Pioneer player.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"There is no manual adjustment on this Pioneer player. "

Hardly anyone knows how to use them anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 5 Aug 2018 10:24:39 -0000 (UTC), Bruce
Esquibel wrote:

In sci.electronics.repair micky wrote:

And what is it equalizing?

A number of car stereos have a setup that is used when first installed to
automatically set the volume and eq (bass/treble) for each speaker so it is
optimized.

When in that mode, the radio plays a number of tones and white noise one
speaker at a time to figure out the best pattern for the driver. That
microphone is used to listen to those tones. You aren't in the car, you
place the mic where your head would be and get out of the car and let the
radio run the tests.

You don't leave it in circuit, after the radio does it's thing, it's
removed.

Thanks, Bruce. (and thanks, Jeff) I n ever would have guessed. (My
car radio was made in 1890.0

Both my original radio and the current one has modes for "driver only",
"front only" and "4 passenger". It's just a tweak to get the best sound
based on how many people are in the car.

Unlike other makes, GM radios used to, maybe still do, reverse left and
right for the back seat. I think that means wherever one is in the
car, he gets and equal dose of left and right, instead of having to sit
in the middle of the car (where no one sits.) It's a dilemma. When I
drove a stage coach, I was usually alone and I always sat in the middle,
so that I had the right balance of left and right.

Unless you have a radio that does the auto configuration, there is no point
having one of those mics.

You saved me some money.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

'Just twiddle with the knobs and sliders until it sounds good. What
else does one need to know? "

Much. One sort of rule of thumb is to take FM hiss, turn off the muting and see which controls have the most effect. The ones with less effect should be boosting and the ones with more effect should be cutting. But that is a very rudimentary primer on it. People used to bring their cars to me to have me set the EQ, back when you could. Houses to, in factr I modified an EQ for a friend of mine because it was only a 5 band and he needed slightly different frequencies. I turned the 60 Hz control into about a 40, the 250 into a 150, left the 1,000 alone and the 3,500 but extended the 15 KHz to infinity by removing the inductor. Also the new 40 Hz control's range extended to subsonic. I used resistance and whatever to get the range where I wanted it with the same inductor, but the cap I took to about 10 X its original value.

I actually heard that system and knew what it needed.

I am a \n expert on frequency response and tone controls. I designed a non-phase-**** set of bass and treble that are so bad to the bone some people wouldn't even want them. The bass turnover adjustable from 48 to 440 Hz, and the treble from 3,500 Hz to about 9,000 Hz. Each has a range of +/- 16 dB.

These controls are to be used judiciously, you can't just say "I like bass, crank the bass all the way", you'll fry either your amp or woofers. The only time you want to use the full range of boost or cut is as a crossover for a subsat system. Even then, I have a no phase shift variable crossover. Much better for the task.

But now with my ears I must really boost certain ranges, to the point where some people do not want to listen with me. But that's OK, been a loner for major parts of my life. Many people will not eat my food. I am a spice, garlic and HOT freak. The very few who eat mt cooking are very happy, but many people just can't stand the strength of my spices. It is the same with the stereo, it is tailored to ME.

You know this mic in the car **** is just a ruse. Like a Rube Golberg design. It will set the sound flat, but wait, they have the same data from the other 999,999 of those cars they sold. So bottom line it is a gimmick/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 12 August 2018 03:59:51 UTC+1, wrote:

[...]

5 band graphic eqs were crap, but the worst thing about them was that they wasted one of the sliders on a 1kHz band.

You know this mic in the car **** is just a ruse. Like a Rube Golberg design. It will set the sound flat, but wait, they have the same data from the other 999,999 of those cars they sold. So bottom line it is a gimmick/

Speakers vary though.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 00:34:54 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

just wondering how taking an GE to someone else to set-up is going to
help me when I can't hear **** all above 12kHz!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"just wondering how taking an GE to someone else to set-up is going to help me when I can't hear **** all above 12kHz! "

There is very little content in music up at 12 KHz, My hearing starts rolling off at about 4KHz and is non-existent at about 14 KHz.

Equalizers are not made to act as bass and treble controls. in 90 % of the installations you'll rub across setting the 60 to boost and the 250 to cut will make the bass sound better. Not sure why but many rooms seem to vibrate around 200 Hz or so. Maybe it's the distance between wall studs at the drywall or something. Putting speakers in corners exacerbates the problem.

A treble control on an amp might be too "squaky" and a cut on the 2,500 or 3,500 Hz control might help and not obscure that sweet timbre as much.

With a 10 band you can do even more. I can make some elchepo "Ohifio" (an event where they dumped a bunch of kunk nearly as cheap as it was worth) and make them sound almost like good Infinitys. (really ****ing good speakers)

One kinda cool thing came out of EQ, certain models of TV sets. With the use of throat mics, body mics and whatever, the frequency responses is FUBAR. So TCE (RCA and GE) took the midrange and via crossovers inverted the phas of the midrange. The goldenrod or whatever on it said people found the speech to be more intelligible that way. The overall response was largely flat except for the null points, the -3 dB or whatever and they were at about 400 and 3,000 Hz, in that ballpark.

Probably a good idea too, I have tried to equalize some of the TV shows and it still sounds like "wok wok wook wok erk". i am talking 2 ten bands with ranges of +/- 10 dB and 12 db. What is 22 dB, about a factor of 100 or so ? Still didn't do it, those "resonances" are there no matter what and they completely obfuscate the overtones necessary to intelligibility. And it is NOT ME. If it was then how come I can hear just fine on old episodes of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Star Trek ?

As far as I am concerned, the pursuit of flat response is over. I want it to sound how I like it, I care not what the recording engineer wanted. And I can state what i want.

if I have flat response to start with I want that bottom octave boosted heavily, 30 Hz and such. Then the top octave, give me that timbre, in fact I am having a hard time finding good enough tweeters to overcome my hearing loss. I have actually heard my amp collide with its slew rate.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 12 August 2018 20:08:25 UTC+1, wrote:

As far as I am concerned, the pursuit of flat response is over. I want it to sound how I like it, I care not what the recording engineer wanted. And I can state what i want.

I suspect some future popular distribution format will be multitrack so the end user can change the balance of the instruments to their liking.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 12:08:22 -0700, jurb6006 wrote:

Probably a good idea too, I have tried to equalize some of the TV shows
and it still sounds like "wok wok wook wok erk". i am talking 2 ten
bands with ranges of +/- 10 dB and 12 db. What is 22 dB, about a factor
of 100 or so ? Still didn't do it, those "resonances" are there no
matter what and they completely obfuscate the overtones necessary to
intelligibility. And it is NOT ME. If it was then how come I can hear
just fine on old episodes of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Star Trek ?

A lot of people find that. They did some research and put it down to the
fact that the actors in days gone by had much better diction than today's
upstarts. Possibly as a result of paying their dues in theatres. I find
it especially noticeable in English films so perhaps you'd notice it most
in American movies?

I have actually heard my amp collide with its slew rate.

You have something decidedly out of whack somewhere!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 12 August 2018 23:15:10 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

A lot of user audio devices are just terrible quality. With tiny speakers they use lots of bass boost & resonance, and the result is often a muddy mess.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"I suspect some future popular distribution format will be multitrack so the end user can change the balance of the instruments to their liking. "

What we really need are movies you can turn the damn music off.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"A lot of people find that. They did some research and put it down to the
fact that the actors in days gone by had much better diction than today's
upstarts. Possibly as a result of paying their dues in theatres. "

That may be but I think it is mostly the mics' frequency response. They had throat mics that I am sure needed a tom on equalization, now what, they are wireless and clipped to the belt ?

" I have actually heard my amp collide with its slew rate.

You have something decidedly out of whack somewhere! "

Yup, turned up loud with about 17 dB of boost at about 10 KHz and up, and material with heavy high frequency content.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 13 August 2018 16:58:40 UTC+1, wrote:
nt:

"I suspect some future popular distribution format will be multitrack so the end user can change the balance of the instruments to their liking. "

What we really need are movies you can turn the damn music off.

multitrack will do that for you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 3:23:58 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
I don't get it:

Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ Microphone for Car DVD Receivers

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-CD-MC...ustomerReviews

Why does someone need a microphone for a DVD receiver. Are people
doing karioke in the car?
I thought people want microphones if they are connecting the car
radio to the cellphone, but the ad doesn't mention cellphones.

And it says "Placement: The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone should be
placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing
forward. " So doesn't that mean if you're rear-ended your head will go
back and whack this thing, which has got to be worse for your head than
hitting the head restraint.

And what is it equalizing?

And, maybe the car's pre-owner wanted to record everyone who got into the car.