Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP54825A Infinium scope

On 07/25/2018 07:22 AM, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
Anyone else have one of these?
I need to find the BIOS settings that will recognize the hard drive.

Is there a news group or forum to look for as well?

Thankies

Found this with a quick search, don't know if it addresses your issue,
but it seems promising: http://pdub.net/projects/agilent-recovery-cd/
Good Luck!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/1/18 3:57 PM, Bill Martin wrote:
On 07/25/2018 07:22 AM, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
Anyone else have one of these?
I need to find the BIOS settings that will recognize the hard drive.

Is there a news group or forum to look for as well?

Thankies

Found this with a quick search, don't know if it addresses your issue,
but it seems promising: http://pdub.net/projects/agilent-recovery-cd/
Good Luck!

It's an interesting article, but it does NOT address how to set the
BIOS up to see the hard drive.

But thanks for looking.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/1/18 6:46 PM, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
It's an interesting article, but it does NOT address how to set
the BIOS up to see the hard drive.

Buried in the service manual is the BIOS set up.
IT recognized that there is indeed an IDE drive present.
Then complained it couldn't boot from it.
For a week or so, I thought there was still something wrong with
the bios.

Surprise, coincidentally with my wiping the BIOS, the hard drive
decided to quit working. Replacing it with a spare that I already
had as an image the scope booted right up.'

Holmes was right. "What ever is left, however improbable, is the
answer."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The motherboard in the 54825 died, so I bought a 54845A as a
replacement.
I'd forgotten what a cluster **** it was dealing with Windows
98.
After a bit of the usual flailing around, I upgraded to
Windows 98 Second Edition and upgraded the USB drivers, nice,
I can mount an external USB hard drive now.
I also installed the drivers for an HP LaserJet 1200 printer
so I can click the print button on the screen.
Next trick is to use this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/271563447023
to mount the 8 Gig SSD in a Dell PC chassis so I can load
Windows XP on it, then do the HP Infiniium XP upgrade.
https://docplayer.net/6691001-Infiniium-upgrade-and-recovery-guide.html
Yes, I'm having too much fun with this.

Here's a fun YouTube video of a guy working on a 54835A on
the workbench. His has Windows 95 as the operating system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbKfZ4WWt4k

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 09:33:03 -0600, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

The motherboard in the 54825 died, so I bought a 54845A as a
replacement.
I'd forgotten what a cluster **** it was dealing with Windows
98.

I'd also forgotten, intentionally. No thanks for reminding me of past
nightmares and for raising the dead.

After a bit of the usual flailing around, I upgraded to
Windows 98 Second Edition and upgraded the USB drivers, nice,
I can mount an external USB hard drive now.
I also installed the drivers for an HP LaserJet 1200 printer

When your HP Laserjunk 1200 decides to feed multiple pages ending in a
paper jam, there are kits that claim to solve the problem.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=laserjet+1200+jam+kit

so I can click the print button on the screen.
Next trick is to use this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/271563447023
to mount the 8 Gig SSD in a Dell PC chassis so I can load
Windows XP on it, then do the HP Infiniium XP upgrade.
https://docplayer.net/6691001-Infiniium-upgrade-and-recovery-guide.html
Yes, I'm having too much fun with this.

I've had a bit too much entertainment dealing with Windoze XP and SSD
drives. XP does not have a built in TRIM function. Without TRIM, the
SSD does too much writing and can limit the life of the drive. I
didn't have much luck with various workarounds. I assume that HP did
something in the Infiniium scope series to stretch the life of the
SSD, which might not be present if you replace the OS:
https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+xp+trim
Opinions seem to vary as to using XP on the scope:
https://www.google.com/search?q=infiniium+oscilloscope+ssd+trim

Here's a fun YouTube video of a guy working on a 54835A on
the workbench. His has Windows 95 as the operating system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbKfZ4WWt4k

Nice scope. Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann