Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bypassing a central heating controller.

I am unable to understand the intricate
instructions on a Siemens "Chronogyr Rev15" con
troller.

Can I simply bypass this unit and use a common
household time clock instead.

I just need something to turn it on at 18.00hr &
off at 21.00hr.

I care nothing for "zoning", etc etc

Please help.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 23:19:30 UTC+1, Peter Jason wrote:

I am unable to understand the intricate
instructions on a Siemens "Chronogyr Rev15" con
troller.

Can I simply bypass this unit and use a common
household time clock instead.

I just need something to turn it on at 18.00hr &
off at 21.00hr.

I care nothing for "zoning", etc etc

Please help.

A lot of CH systems do/did just that.
You should find the relevant contacts marked slightly explicatorily.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 6:19:30 PM UTC-4, Peter Jason wrote:

Can I simply bypass this unit and use a common
household time clock instead.

Given that most instructions for these devices are written in Sanskrit using roman characters, that is no surprise.

Yes, you may use a simple timer - but there are issues with that:

a) Freezing
b) Battery/power failure

I suggest that if you want to use a very simple timer, that you back it up with a basic two-wire thermostat set to the lowest temperature you can tolerated. Then have your timer bypass it for when you want thinks warmer.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 09:48:08 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 6:19:30 PM UTC-4, Peter Jason wrote:

Can I simply bypass this unit and use a common
household time clock instead.

Given that most instructions for these devices are written in Sanskrit using roman characters, that is no surprise.

Yes, you may use a simple timer - but there are issues with that:

a) Freezing
b) Battery/power failure

I suggest that if you want to use a very simple timer, that you back it up with a basic two-wire thermostat set to the lowest temperature you can tolerated. Then have your timer bypass it for when you want thinks warmer.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Thank you. Our needs are simple because we all
work business hrs. We want the thing to turn on
about 1-hr before everyone gets home and off when
everyones' in bed. The house is large and has
umpteen hot-water panel radiators that take time
to warm up.