Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Default PC-controlled multimeter

I'm looking for recommendations on a computer-controlled
multimeter to automate a test procedure. I'd like to be
able to have the computer select voltage, resistance, etc.,
choose various ranges in each, and transmit readings to a
PC.

I see a lot of units that communicate, but I'm unclear
whether they allow functions and ranges to be set, or
whether they just transmit results from the range selected
on the front dial.

The one unusual requirement is a high resistance range (e.g.
2000Mohm). ACV/DCV/ohms ranges can otherwise be similar to
regular handheld units.

Any suggestions?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 11:22:06 -0600, Randy Day
wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations on a computer-controlled
multimeter to automate a test procedure. I'd like to be
able to have the computer select voltage, resistance, etc.,
choose various ranges in each, and transmit readings to a
PC.

I see a lot of units that communicate, but I'm unclear
whether they allow functions and ranges to be set, or
whether they just transmit results from the range selected
on the front dial.

The one unusual requirement is a high resistance range (e.g.
2000Mohm). ACV/DCV/ohms ranges can otherwise be similar to
regular handheld units.

Any suggestions?

We use a lot of Keithley and Fluke benchtop DVMs in test sets, with
ethernet or USB interface. They can set anything under remote control
except for switching between the front and rear-panel inputs.

I prefer the Fluke 8845A. It's more stable at microvolt levels, does
good AC measurements, and is EMI harder than the Keithleys.

It only measures 100M ohms max, but you could do some simple hack to
measure gigohms.

There are cheap handhelds with interfaces, but the interface won't
turn the big range knob.

There are also cheap benchtop DVMs, typically Chinese. Might be good
enough.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Am 23.06.2018 um 19:22 schrieb Randy Day:

I'm looking for recommendations on a computer-controlled
multimeter to automate a test procedure. I'd like to be
able to have the computer select voltage, resistance, etc.,
choose various ranges in each, and transmit readings to a
PC.

I see a lot of units that communicate, but I'm unclear
whether they allow functions and ranges to be set, or
whether they just transmit results from the range selected
on the front dial.

The one unusual requirement is a high resistance range (e.g.
2000Mohm). ACV/DCV/ohms ranges can otherwise be similar to
regular handheld units.

Any suggestions?

Here

https://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/hs/UNI-T/

are some programs for UNI-T or similar multimeters.

peter
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On 2018/06/23 10:22 AM, Randy Day wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations on a computer-controlled
multimeter to automate a test procedure. I'd like to be
able to have the computer select voltage, resistance, etc.,
choose various ranges in each, and transmit readings to a
PC.

I see a lot of units that communicate, but I'm unclear
whether they allow functions and ranges to be set, or
whether they just transmit results from the range selected
on the front dial.

The one unusual requirement is a high resistance range (e.g.
2000Mohm). ACV/DCV/ohms ranges can otherwise be similar to
regular handheld units.

Any suggestions?

Mooshimeter? Doesn't do resistance, but for remote monitoring of voltage
and current it is handy...and perhaps the designer is interested in
expanding it to resistance.

https://moosh.im/mooshimeter/

Handy tool!

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

In article , says...

[snip]

Here

https://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/hs/UNI-T/

are some programs for UNI-T or similar multimeters.

peter

Bookmarked, thanks!

Actually we have a Uni-T at the shop; can't remember
the model number, though. Given the price of benchtop
units that John mentioned, maybe I can run multiple
cheap datalogger units switched in with relays; I
wondered if there might be a low-cost all-in-one
alternative I hadn't seen.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

[snip]

https://moosh.im/mooshimeter/

Handy tool!

John :-#)#

Wireless doesn't really offer an advantage in
this instance, but it's an interesting device.

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yep, Fluke, Keysight (formerly Agilent/HP) and Keithley which is now Tek or Tektronix are like the goto options.

These http://www.ni.com/pdf/product-flyers...ultimeters.pdf may prove to be a unique addition.