Old June 21st 18, 09:08 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DMM banana jack inputs

I've got a Fluke 189 DMM. The banana jack inputs are getting flaky.
With the probes or input pushed up or down they sometimes loose continuity.
I opened it up and looked at the solder joints... they look fine.
The banana jacks are encased in plastic so it's hard to see exactly.
I tried squeezing them in some, it's maybe a bit better, but no one
wants even a bit of flaky in their test gear. Any ideas? (about how I might
fix it.)

George H.

Old June 21st 18, 09:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06/21/18 16:08, wrote:
I've got a Fluke 189 DMM. The banana jack inputs are getting flaky.
With the probes or input pushed up or down they sometimes loose continuity.
I opened it up and looked at the solder joints... they look fine.
The banana jacks are encased in plastic so it's hard to see exactly.
I tried squeezing them in some, it's maybe a bit better, but no one
wants even a bit of flaky in their test gear. Any ideas? (about how I might
fix it.)

George H.

You might drop $17 for a set of ProbeMaster 8000 series leads

http://probemaster.com/8000-series-test-leads-only/

All gold-plated, soft silicone leads, lots of accessories available.
Gorgeous.

Even if it turns out to be the meter that's broken, you'll be glad to
have the leads for the next one!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Old June 21st 18, 10:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 1:53:02 PM UTC-7, N_Cook wrote:
Usually a break in the conductor.

The cheapest way to test this hypothesis is to get one of the free DMMs from Harbor Freight and use their leads on your Fluke. If this fixes the problem, you can confidently buy something of higher quality. Most banana jacks and plugs are interchangeable.

Old June 22nd 18, 02:22 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 4:31:02 PM UTC-4, Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 06/21/18 16:08, wrote:
[...]

No whatever banana I stick in there is intermittent.
(I use a lot of BNC to dual banana plug adapters.. then I can watch
the fast stuff on the 'scope at the same time.)

GH
Old June 22nd 18, 02:34 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 5:42:14 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 13:08:28 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've got a Fluke 189 DMM. The banana jack inputs are getting flaky.
With the probes or input pushed up or down they sometimes loose continuity.
I opened it up and looked at the solder joints... they look fine.
The banana jacks are encased in plastic so it's hard to see exactly.
I tried squeezing them in some, it's maybe a bit better, but no one
wants even a bit of flaky in their test gear. Any ideas? (about how I might
fix it.)

If the banana jacks really are intermittent, replacement are
available:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fluke+187+jacks
Judging by the number sold (247+105) it seems to be a common problem.

More Fluke parts, from Fluke:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/fluke-usa/m.html?_nkw=
Now we know what usually breaks on a Fluke meter.

Thanks Jeff, looks like I'll be ordering one of those.
(As you can see it's hard to get inside the plastic.)

George H.

Hints:
1. Beware of new and improved.
2. That which is most difficult to replace, is usually the problem.
3. When all else has been replaced, that which remains, no matter how
improbable, is the culprit.

Grin, for number three I had this circuit that was leaking ~1 Meg ohm,
I couldn't figure it out, I'm ripping out everything. I finally pull
out the toggle switch. Bingo! We had a box full of toggle switches
of which ~10% had a resistance in the meg ohm region when 'open'.
(Hmm that might count for #2 also.)

GH.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Old June 22nd 18, 02:35 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06/21/18 16:08, wrote:
[...]

Then it is in the meter. You may be able to tighten up the contacts with a dental-pick, or you will have to take it apart and look for a broken solder joint or some such.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old June 22nd 18, 03:28 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Ah. Those put a lot of torque on the solder joints, of course.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Old June 22nd 18, 03:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06/21/2018 05:42 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Except that while replacing all that stuff, the real fault blew up
several of the replacements, so it's quite possible to replace
everything and still not fix it!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Pedant's banana skin law raden UK diy 7 July 29th 07 12:20 AM
BANANA J T Woodworking 0 February 27th 07 11:25 PM
Builders banana wall - OK or not? RzB UK diy 29 July 24th 06 02:28 PM
Where to purchase 3mm banana plugs in UK woodglass Electronics Repair 6 July 21st 06 04:23 PM
Banana Jack alpha_uma Electronics Repair 1 June 18th 05 09:43 PM