DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/610615-urgent-broken-adapter-broken-latptop.html)

Python Studios May 11th 18 05:41 AM

URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop

I was watching a youtube video when I realized that my ac/dc adapter was unplugged from the wall and grounding unit. I plugged it back in and my laptopl froze then made a loud buzzing sound. I imeditaly turned it off and on, there were 0 probelms. Then, when I made sure that my power cord was working, I plugged it in and nothing. When I remove it, the screen flashes black for about 1/5 of a second this is only external. I don't know if my adapter has been fried or the power component in my laptop has been. I am rushing this post because I only have 17% left on my latptop and this is the only device I have. I am backing up everything and I also ran power diagnostics. Please, if you have any information on how to check if one is broken or the other, respond immeditally. Sorry for the bad post, but time is limited. Tomorrow, I am going to try and build a charger (usb) for it with some extremely low output batteries and capacitors 130maH in total.
yes, I am on it now for those of you who are "slow".

//I had it plugged in during the test, but no charge.
Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report
Computer Name
LAPTOP-TEK9BJPL
Scan Time
2018-05-11T03:28:50Z
Scan Duration
60 seconds
System Manufacturer
LENOVO
System Product Name
80S6
BIOS Date
01/23/2016
BIOS Version
0YCN13WW
OS Build
14393
Platform Role
PlatformRoleMobile
Plugged In
false
Process Count
102
Thread Count
1187
Report GUID
{1d5f5a1d-e3b4-48d9-a37b-3c6c9e2108d3}
Analysis Results
Errors
Power Policy:Power Plan Personality is High Performance (On Battery)
The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is on battery power.
Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (On Battery)
The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (On Battery)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
Power Policy:PCI Express ASPM is disabled (On Battery)
The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) is configured to Off.
Power Policy:Power Plan Personality is High Performance (Plugged In)
The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is plugged in.
Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
Power Policy:Minimum processor performance state is 100% (Plugged In)
The processor is not configured to automatically reduce power consumption based on activity.
Power Policy:PCI Express ASPM is disabled (Plugged In)
The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) is configured to Off.
System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The program has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
Requesting Process
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\explorer.exe
System Availability Requests:Execution Required Request
The program has made a request for execution-required.
Requesting Process
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\explorer.exe
System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The program has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
Requesting Process
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\dllhost.e xe
System Availability Requests:Execution Required Request
The program has made a request for execution-required.
Requesting Process
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\dllhost.e xe
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping..
Device Name
USB Mass Storage Device
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22B5
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
Device ID
USB\VID_0781&PID_5581
Port Path
8
CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%)
42.47
Device Drivers:
Devices with missing or misconfigured drivers can increase power consumption.

[email protected] May 11th 18 08:14 AM

On Friday, 11 May 2018 04:41:46 UTC+1, Python Studios wrote:

[...]

a multimteter will tell you what's coming out of the psu.
junk snipped

mike[_22_] May 11th 18 08:17 AM

On 5/10/2018 11:14 PM, wrote:
[...]

It's hard to get a connection to the interface between the PS
and the computer when it's plugged in.
Measuring the PS unloaded can tell you if it's dead, but not
much else.
junk snipped

[email protected] May 11th 18 03:35 PM

On Friday, 11 May 2018 07:19:02 UTC+1, mike wrote:
On 5/10/2018 11:14 PM, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

It's the first thing I'd do. What's the first thing you'd do?

NT

Ralph Mowery May 11th 18 04:30 PM

URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop

In article ,
says...
a multimteter will tell you what's coming out of the psu.

It's hard to get a connection to the interface between the PS
and the computer when it's plugged in.
Measuring the PS unloaded can tell you if it's dead, but not
much else.
junk snipped

It's the first thing I'd do. What's the first thing you'd do?

Probably the first thing I would do also.

With some of the multimeters less than $ 10 everyhone should have one
and have a basic idea of how to do simple measurments.

While it would not tell if the power supply is working, it will tell if
it is totally dead or maybe if the voltage is way too high or low.

An ohm check across the primary of the supply could tell if it was bad,
but with the moden supplies it may not.

Some of the switching supplies may not show a voltage if not under load,
but still that is where I would start.

Pat[_25_] May 11th 18 09:35 PM

URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop

On Fri, 11 May 2018 18:39:53 +0100, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

I read this occasionally, but I have never come across an SMPS that will not
run without a load.

I have come across some that show overvoltage with no load, however.

Gareth.

Don't most PC power supplies stay off until that one pin is grounded
on the 24 pin motherboard connector? True that isn't exactly what you
were talking about, but it might give a novice the impression the
supply won't start without a load becasue unplugging the load shuts
down the supply.

mike[_22_] May 12th 18 03:19 AM

On 5/11/2018 6:35 AM, wrote:
[...]

That's the first thing I'd do too.
BUT
If it measured the correct voltage, I'd put a load on it
and look at it with a scope.
This is FAR EASIER than taking the laptop apart, only to find
that the AC adapter was bad all along...and you broke a bunch
of the plastic snaps trying to pry it apart.
Been there, done that.

Make DARN sure the power supply is good before disassembling
a laptop.

In ANY diagnostic situation, you start asking questions to determine
the diagnostic tree. For each question, ask yourself, "What am I
gonna do with the answer once I have it?" If you can't do anything
with the answer, it doesn't help to ask the question. You can lop
off whole branches of your diagnostic tree. If your lack of test
equipment lops off ALL the branches, you're dead in the water.
Fixing it will be a matter of luck.

In this case, if you can't load the power supply and look at it with
a scope, you have two options.
1) output voltage is not correct on the multimeter. laptop ac supply
is probably defective.
2) no load output voltage is correct...and you don't have a scope you
probably shouldn't be taking the laptop apart until you have more info
or a known-good power supply.

"my laptopl froze then made a loud buzzing sound" is NOT a good symptom
That it didn't buzz next time suggests like the power supply is defective
and it blew a fuse or something inside the laptop.
Or that a static zap killed it when it was plugged in.
OR...OR...
In that case, trying a good power supply may not fix it.
And if you fix the inside problem and plug in the bad supply,
you may break it again.
Been there done that.

Tim R[_2_] May 12th 18 12:35 PM

URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop

I don't know if you have any repair resources near you.

I'll tell my story.

I had a laptop with a bad power jack. I went on youtube and watched videos on how to disassemble this brand of laptop. It's a daunting task, they aren't made to come apart easily, and that power jack is very vulnerable.

And then, before I did it, I took the laptop to Staples to their "free diagnosis" desk. They connected it to a universal power supply, one of those that comes with several connector pins. Surprise, it booted right up and charged fine.

Even though everybody I talked to was sure it was the laptop, the power supply was the actual problem. All I had to do was buy the new supply.