Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TIP: avoiding dried up/blocked ink-jet carts

Printer only used monthly , perhaps when new then parking in the cart
dock at the side perhaps works, but not when years old.
A bit of a bind, but less of a bind than squirting air-duster etc to
unblock an ink cart etc etc. At the end of each session remove the
carts. Grab a couple of couple of large party balloons with the neck
cut off.
Stretch over the active face of each cart with a drop of
meths/denatured-alcahol in each balloon and store on a ledge with
balloons dangling.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 16:20:14 UTC+1, N_Cook wrote:
Printer only used monthly , perhaps when new then parking in the cart
dock at the side perhaps works, but not when years old.
A bit of a bind, but less of a bind than squirting air-duster etc to
unblock an ink cart etc etc. At the end of each session remove the
carts. Grab a couple of couple of large party balloons with the neck
cut off.
Stretch over the active face of each cart with a drop of
meths/denatured-alcahol in each balloon and store on a ledge with
balloons dangling.

How many cycles are the printer to cart connectors rated for?

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 1:01:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 16:20:14 UTC+1, N_Cook wrote:
Printer only used monthly , perhaps when new then parking in the cart
dock at the side perhaps works, but not when years old.
A bit of a bind, but less of a bind than squirting air-duster etc to
unblock an ink cart etc etc. At the end of each session remove the
carts. Grab a couple of couple of large party balloons with the neck
cut off.
Stretch over the active face of each cart with a drop of
meths/denatured-alcahol in each balloon and store on a ledge with
balloons dangling.

get a cheap laser printer and stop fussing with it
best thing i ever did

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

What about when the heads are not integral to the carts ? If this one here cleans up OK it would be nice to avoid it in the future.

Note this is someone else's printer, I have a LASER. However it is in the basement and people might not want to go all the way down there to print, or when I get it back on the network, to grab their stuff out of it.

My other option would be to move it to a more central location but space is a problem, the thing is big.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 19:37:50 UTC+1, Tim R wrote:
On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:27:47 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr says...
get a cheap laser printer and stop fussing with it
best thing i ever did

+100

Same here.

Me too. Black and white is plenty for 99.9% of what I print. (mostly music) The rest I email to Walmart or Staples. I'm still on the first toner cartridge and it's been several years now. Of course those aren't cheap.

When the kids were in school we needed color for projects. Not any more.

Reminds me of the times when I did 2 colour printing on a B&W printer. Quite glad they're over! Daisy wheel it was, one print in black, 2nd pass in black with italic daisywheel, 3rd pass with red ribbon.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/04/2018 16:20, N_Cook wrote:
Printer only used monthly , perhaps when new then parking in the cart
dock at the side perhaps works, but not when years old.
A bit of a bind, but less of a bind than squirting air-duster etc to
unblock an ink cart etc etc. At the end of each session remove the
carts. Grab a couple of couple of large party balloons with the neck
cut off.
Stretch over the active face of each cart with a drop of
meths/denatured-alcahol in each balloon and store on a ledge with
balloons dangling.

I should say this is for 3 print-offs on card per month for posters. I
doubt I'll be buying a colour laser m/c. I could see myself going to a
High St print shop once a month or perhaps getting 20 or so generic card
posters done at such a print shop and then overprint with my trusty
monochrome HP laser printer, just the changing details once a month. I
doubt the so-called cheap colour laser printers will allow 300gm/m^2 or
stiffer card through them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default avoiding dried up/blocked ink-jet carts

N_Cook wrote:
Printer only used monthly , perhaps when new then parking in the cart
dock at the side perhaps works, but not when years old.
A bit of a bind, but less of a bind than squirting air-duster etc to
unblock an ink cart etc etc. At the end of each session remove the carts.
Grab a couple of couple of large party balloons with the neck cut off.
Stretch over the active face of each cart with a drop of
meths/denatured-alcahol in each balloon and store on a ledge with balloons dangling.

My Canon I hardly use. It just uses ink even while off. Lucky I found cheap
cartridges takes 5.

Greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

Printer only used monthly , perhaps when new then parking in the cart
dock at the side perhaps works, but not when years old.
A bit of a bind, but less of a bind than squirting air-duster etc to
unblock an ink cart etc etc. At the end of each session remove the
carts. Grab a couple of couple of large party balloons with the neck
cut off.
Stretch over the active face of each cart with a drop of
meths/denatured-alcahol in each balloon and store on a ledge with
balloons dangling.

The ONLY way to avoid bloced jet nozzles is to TOTALLY AVOID inkjet
printers. I CURSE the things! I curse my stupidity in rescuing some of
them from the trash at work and trying to make them work.

We had some at work, and every Monday morning I had to fiddle with them to
get them unblocked. Just 2 days idle during the weekend and they were in
trouble.

Give me a laser printer, please! (Wax jet is the 2nd choice, but the ink is
expensive.)

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/04/2018 23:52, Jon Elson wrote:
N_Cook wrote:

[...]

I was watching the latest David Attenborough natural history series and
nature got there first. Apparently the mottled colouration on bird eggs
is due to an inkjet printer like process. The caulm containg yolk and
albumen is rotated in a chamber with multiple ducts that eject a
different colour calcium based chemical formulation at different times
building up the patterning, clever stuff. Millions of years before
Epson,Canon, HP etc
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

[...]

That is so cool. I had no idea that was how the eggs got that look.
Thanks for posting.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

[...]

If it was anyone else other than Attenborough saying that, I'd have
disbelieved them. I've never seen an egg with streaks on it, so
difficult to believe that mechanism.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 17:52:20 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Just 2 days idle during the weekend and they were in
trouble.

That sounds rather like Epson with separate heads/carts. Got so tired
of trying to revitalise those that I swore off Epson completely.

Still have an olde HP900 series inker that seems to fire up fine about
every six months, and a Canon that rattles/clunks/whirrs for about 90
seconds at every power-up. Good thing nearly all our printing needs
are mono and met elegantly/economically with an HP Laser.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I had a rarely used Lexmark (yearly cartridge replacement, more or
less). I had it for years and never had a blockage. Only got rid of it
because there was no driver for Windows 10.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 2:37:30 PM UTC-4, N_Cook wrote:
I've never seen an egg with streaks on it, so
difficult to believe that mechanism.

That's because Epson doesn't print eggs...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 15/04/2018 16:31, John-Del wrote:
On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 2:37:30 PM UTC-4, N_Cook wrote:
I've never seen an egg with streaks on it, so
difficult to believe that mechanism.

That's because Epson doesn't print eggs...

Another thing Epson failed to deal with - generating the substrate at
the same time as the image. You have to supply your own paper, how
stupid in comparison to nature.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I just cleaned a Brother.

Has separate ink cartridges, the head stays. It wasn't the head, the tubes were clogged up. The black was actually what was clogged up, the others had air pockets in them. Probably got run too low for too long. I looked around the internet and found out that apparently Windex is safe to use. So I took some tubing, removed the feed (and lost the clip) and blew Windex through the tube. then I fashioned a spring thing to hold what the clip used to hold and let er rip with a bunch of black only cleaning cycles to purge the cleaner and get ink in there.

The ink in the black tube actually looked dried out. I guess that;s what happens when there is air in it.

It works now. The colors don't come out absolutely perfect on the test page but we'll do a bunch of color printing with the new ink in it and that should take care of it. They are obviously not dried up because they work.

My last two jobs, at what they billed my labor you could have bought at least four of these printers with a fresh set of cartridges each, and then some. They would definitely never take another one in once they found out how cheap they are. But I am in frugal mode right now.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

Unless you have a heavy duty printer, it is often better just to get a
new one. With printers less than $ 70 and some less than $ 50, just get
a new one and the ink cartridges for less than $ 150. A repair bill
will cost a lot and then you still have to pay for the ink.

Company my son works for got talked into a deal with Canon for their
printers. It is a large company,but they have 3 men just for office type
printers. Most of the time they just sit around. For what they pay for
that conract, they could probalby buy everyone a new printer every year.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

We have an Epson eco-tank unit. It reminds us to print something on the first of each month. So far, so good. Not the cheapest printer in the pack, but it meets our modest needs. The double-sided print feature is also appealing.

We do about 80 pages per month to various ends.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Unless you have a heavy duty printer, it is often better just to get a
new one."

1. I got time on my hands.

2. I am sick of this "You can buy" ****, all of which sends our borrowed money overseas. And if you think YOU don't use credit, the dollars are on credit. Anytime I can keep money from foreigners I think that is good.

I do have a LASER printer, but this one avoids a trip to the basement. It's also the only FAX machine in the house and while it would send it wouldn't print so... Also could not print the confirmation of a sent FAX.

I am also going through stuff to work on, I got time. I haven't been able to work for awhile so I need to get my legs back so to speak. Next is a microwave bought in 1992. When they were $ 89 this one was $ 150 wholesale. A new one will not outlast it. It has a burned out light, a bad connection, I think to the gate of the triac, and I am going to trow a capacitor in it whether it is good or not. (seems like it used to have more power.

New and improved means improved profits for the manufacturer, cheaper to produce and as a result harder to work on usually.

"For what they pay for that conract, they could probalby buy everyone a new printer every year. "

Well, a local grocery store has 8 oz. cans of sauce or 20 cents or a 15.5 ox can of he same thing for 69 cents. A bag boy didn't set those prices. Don't expect brains from anyone.

And now, if this printer ever needs cleaning agian it will be a 15 minute job.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"We do about 80 pages per month to various ends. "

I do even less than that, except for now because I have a court case and am going pro se. But because I print less I have to buy a more expensive printer - a LASER. I also like that the prints are waterproof, and a few other things proof. Seems like an inkjet print bleeds from looking at it and thinking about water. But get that ink on your hands and...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 11:43:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
"Unless you have a heavy duty printer, it is often better just to get a

new one."

1. I got time on my hands.

Idle hands are the Devil's workshop.

2. I am sick of this "You can buy" ****, all of which sends our borrowed money overseas. And if you think YOU don't use credit, the dollars are on credit. Anytime I can keep money from foreigners I think that is good.

At one level, true. At another, the more of our dollars that are in foreign hands, the more interest those foreigners have in our continued survival. If our dollars become useless, theirs are no more than fire-starters.

I do have a LASER printer, but this one avoids a trip to the basement. It's also the only FAX machine in the house and while it would send it wouldn't print so... Also could not print the confirmation of a sent FAX.

Cleaning a printer-head is, typically, not a huge job unless that printer has been sitting for a very long time, or in extreme conditions. Keeping in mind that the alternative is landfill, using unusual means and methods is fair game. Back when we did have an HP inkjet device - one that clogged every couple-of-days, 99% alcohol was my go-to cleaner. Get an old ink cartridge, fill it with alcohol - off you go. Got tired of that and went to the Epsom. No regrets so far.

I am also going through stuff to work on, I got time. I haven't been able to work for awhile so I need to get my legs back so to speak. Next is a microwave bought in 1992. When they were $ 89 this one was $ 150 wholesale. A new one will not outlast it. It has a burned out light, a bad connection, I think to the gate of the triac, and I am going to trow a capacitor in it whether it is good or not. (seems like it used to have more power.

With all due respect, a little research is mandated on this one. "New" microwaves from legitimate manufacturers are lighter, more powerful, and far more refined that those from the Amana Radarange days. Our present three units are 12, 8 and 6 years old respectively. The oldest gets the heaviest use. But the newest one knows the difference between three different kinds of popcorn, knows how to actually 'bake' a potato, or even three of them, and will also defrost without parboiling.

New and improved means improved profits for the manufacturer, cheaper to produce and as a result harder to work on usually.

There is that. But it is entirely possible to purchase a good, serviceable, well-made and well designed product in about every category. Won't be the cheapest, however. I keep speakers made in Minnesota over 40 years ago. The company is still in business, and still sells parts for every speaker they have ever made. I can't even write that about my AR speakers.

"For what they pay for that conract, they could probalby buy everyone a new printer every year. "

Well, a local grocery store has 8 oz. cans of sauce or 20 cents or a 15.5 ox can of he same thing for 69 cents. A bag boy didn't set those prices. Don't expect brains from anyone.

Same thing (same manufacturer, same ingredients list), or generic same thing? Just curious.

And now, if this printer ever needs cleaning agian it will be a 15 minute job.

Sure,and as it should be.

BTW, as most of what we do requires color, and what business printing I do at home requires heavy color-coding, a color laser printer would be prohibitively expensive, not to mention supplies and service.

The issue on water reminds me of my college days. Penn and Princeton are huge Ivy League rivals, usually alternating at each other's location for Homecoming. Public restroom - Penn student walks in, uses the urinal and walks out. Princeton student says: "At Princeton, we are taught to wash our hands after using the urinal.". Penn Student: "At Penn, we are taught not to **** on our fingers."

About covers it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/23/18 10:46 AM, wrote:
I have a court case and am going pro se.

A lawyer that represents himself has a fool for his client.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 23 April 2018 20:03:33 UTC+1, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 4/23/18 10:46 AM, wrote:

I have a court case and am going pro se.

A lawyer that represents himself has a fool for his client.

I've done that for small claims. The other side was the fool, paying a lawyer more than the claim amount for a case they couldn't win.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 1:44:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

With all due respect, a little research is mandated on this one. "New" microwaves from legitimate manufacturers are lighter, more powerful, and far more refined that those from the Amana Radarange days.

My brother had an Amana from the mid 70s, back when Amana had a distribution deal with Zenith. Aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd he still has it. In his kitchen. Heats stuff in it. Every day. Never quit... It went from new, to old fashioned, to retro. I think the door weighs 15 lbs.

IIRC our wholesale price was over $500; righteous bucks in them days, but this had an unique for the time feature - a true digital soft touch capacitance keypad.

In 1985 when I got married, the same brother gave me a microwave for a gift.. This was a Litton that was also bullet proof. About 15 years ago when it was already over 20 years old my buddy stopped by one Saturday afternoon when I had the whole thing torn down to clean the beejeezus out of it after my bride entered one extra zero when making popped corn. The smell of badly burned popped corn is only a little less offensive than skunk and lasts about as long. My buddy asked me why I didn't just go buy a new one rather than take the time to clean it, and I told him that this one would last longer than if I did replace it.

Fast forward to three years ago and the computer on the Litton started getting wonky. I finally retired it and bought an Emerson, that lasted a year. I know have a Frigidaire.. We'll see how long this one goes.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/23/18 4:32 PM, John-Del wrote:
Fast forward to three years ago and the computer on the Litton
started getting wonky. I finally retired it and bought an
Emerson, that lasted a year.

You're doing it wrong, for the past 15 years, every microwave
I've bought was $10-15 at a thrift store.

Everyone I've bought is still working.

An excellent ROI.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 00:16:39 UTC+1, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 4/23/18 4:32 PM, John-Del wrote:

Fast forward to three years ago and the computer on the Litton
started getting wonky. I finally retired it and bought an
Emerson, that lasted a year.

You're doing it wrong, for the past 15 years, every microwave
I've bought was $10-15 at a thrift store.

Everyone I've bought is still working.

An excellent ROI.

The upside to that approach is that the ones that died young are weeded out. The downside is there's often something wrong with them or they'll annoying in some odd way.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 23 April 2018 22:32:51 UTC+1, John-Del wrote:
On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 1:44:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

With all due respect, a little research is mandated on this one. "New" microwaves from legitimate manufacturers are lighter, more powerful, and far more refined that those from the Amana Radarange days.

Lighter, yes the cases are thinner. I don't see a significant upside to that, and it makes them noisier.
More powerful? Sometimes, sometimes not. I don't see a significant upside to it though.
More refined? 5 or 10 power levels does beat 2. Other than that I don't think controls have improved any. The old mechanical timers are still common on new machines and quicker to use than digital. One of my digitals is plastered with utterly useless buttons, with the few useful ones buried in among them. Designed by an idiot or someone from the marketing dept.
One thing that does beat the old Amanas is modern interlock safety, in other respects I don't think new ones are a significant improvement.

Oh, yes there is an exception. If an old microwave has no turntable, forget it, those ones are hopeless and a food poisoning risk.
And another... I once encountered one so ancient (pre-Amana) that it continued cooking until the door was a long way open. Not good.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 10:06:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Oh, yes there is an exception. If an old microwave has no turntable, forget it, those ones are hopeless and a food poisoning risk.

My last two MWs have turntables, and they *still* require frequent dish movement to keep cooking more or less even. The turntable helps, but I spend as much time moving the dish as I did in my old Litton without a turntable.

Of course, even with a turntable, any thick casserole or soup dish requires constant stirring lest you want a scalding hot dish with an icy cold center (my brother calls that the Katherine Heigl effect....)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Oh, yes there is an exception. If an old microwave has no turntable, forget it, those ones are hopeless and a food poisoning risk. "

The turntable is actually a cheap way out of real engineering. Microwaves without them "stir" the waves with a reflector at the top which is motor driven, usually off the fan and some of them just use the air flow to blow them into turning.

Now if you have a microwave with both, there's a good one and I believe that's what we have here. Remember that $ 150 was wholesale because I worked there, AND I was told it was a special price at that. he bought a bunch of them and most went to friends and family. The only thing more expensive in table ovens was a convection microwave which requires a 30 amp dedicated circuit, but could cook a turkey in about a half hour.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"But the newest one knows the difference between three different kinds of popcorn, knows how to actually 'bake' a potato, or even three of them, and will also defrost without parboiling."

I can do that by using it right. I can also adjust the car seats and mirrors myself, turn the courtesy lights on and off myself. I'm just a dinosaur I guess, after all, how many people do you know who can do a longhand square root ? No batteries for the calculator ? No problem.

About the popcorn. I bought a used waterbed from a buddy who came over to help set it up. First he says I'll never be able to fill it with warm water but I did, two hot water heaters :-) So he has his olady and kids over as well and brought microwave popcorn. Did I mention my microwave's nickname was Chernobyl ? So it says 5 minutes and it got stuck in for 5 minutes. Opening the door we discovered that it was literally on fire. I said "I think it's done".

And then the shop microwave from years before, you know a 12 cut 16" pizza ? Extra large ? Well I could slide a whole one in there including the box. Talk about designing a microwave ? It is not the easiest thing in the world to make those waves spread over that much area, and yes I said area. Notice the bigger ones are also higher, while a wider and deeper interior would be more useful. Easier to design. They are rated in cubic ft., so the numbers look marvelous, but how often do you stack stuff on top of each other in the microwave ? "Oh, but it takes up so much counter spacer !", whine and bitch, whine and bitch. Look, when you figure out how to build a TARDIS like Dr Who, we will use that technology so that in the space of a coffeepot you can nuke a moose, OK ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"I keep speakers made in Minnesota over 40 years ago. The company is still in business, and still sells parts for every speaker they have ever made. I can't even write that about my AR speakers. "

What brand. I might be interested in some one day.

I have a pair of AR93Qs that need all the foams and tweeters, I am considering fixing them up. I've heard some good things about them. I DO like the idea of 4 ohms. If an amp can't handle 4 ohms I consider it junk. I used to run a newer Pioneer into 2.3 ohms with a window fan on it for cooling. If you forgot to turn the fan on it smelled like a clothes iron left on too high. Obviously it has no current limiting but surprisingly it still works. It is integrated but has the ****tiest preamp section I have ever seen.

Anyway, AR was affiliated with Olson's right ? They have been out of business long enough for a military pension. The 93Qs seem pretty nice, side firing 8" woofers and 8" midrange, and the midrange is open back but in a section of the cabinet that is sequestered from the rear woofer radiation. They can use a lower crossover frequency from woofers to mid, which is usually good. And they are a sealed system which I like. Even if they have less bass it is better bass. They are also much heavier than they look.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 10:49:43 AM UTC-4, wrote:
"I keep speakers made in Minnesota over 40 years ago. The company is still in business, and still sells parts for every speaker they have ever made. I can't even write that about my AR speakers. "

What brand. I might be interested in some one day.

Magnepan. Great Bear Lake, MN

Magnepan MG-IIIa, 6' x 2' x 2" planar speakers. Nothing else like them on earth.

The 93Q is well worth fixing. I would estimate about 2 hours per, then overnight curing. I have done enough surrounds as I would be a bit faster than that, but not by much.

I keep 3a, 4ax, 28, M5 and Athenas from AR. As well as a pair of TSW-110s at the summer house.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 15:23:15 UTC+1, wrote:
NT:

"Oh, yes there is an exception. If an old microwave has no turntable, forget it, those ones are hopeless and a food poisoning risk. "

The turntable is actually a cheap way out of real engineering.

it's sound engineering

Microwaves without them "stir" the waves with a reflector at the top which is motor driven, usually off the fan and some of them just use the air flow to blow them into turning.

yes, with abysmally uneven cooking as the result.

Now if you have a microwave with both, there's a good one and I believe

yes, those are best for cooking evenness. Of course it still doesn't counter the tendency for things to be boiling on the outside & ice in the centre.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 15:37:05 UTC+1, wrote:

"But the newest one knows the difference between three different kinds of popcorn, knows how to actually 'bake' a potato, or even three of them, and will also defrost without parboiling."

I can do that by using it right. I can also adjust the car seats and mirrors myself, turn the courtesy lights on and off myself. I'm just a dinosaur I guess,

probably a great feature for the truly stupid, and certainly there are such folk. To me all that is just junk, bad design.

NT