Senior Member

Post Battery leakage cleanup

Hi,

I'm trying to repair a meter that has had a couple of AA batteries leak. I've noticed that the leaking electrolyte from the battery over-time has found its way to the power input solder wire connections on the PCB.

Could the electrolyte migrate via the wires from the battery terminals to the PCB connections? The wires are fairly long.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Battery leakage cleanup

--
M.Joshi

Yes, it will. Leaking electrolyte will propagate along any current path as long as it remains active. Further, some electrolytes are volatile under certain conditions, so they can migrate as a vapor.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 12:58:52 PM UTC-5, M.Joshi wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to repair a meter that has had a couple of AA batteries leak.
I've noticed that the leaking electrolyte from the battery over-time
has found its way to the power input solder wire connections on the PCB.

Could the electrolyte migrate via the wires from the battery terminals
to the PCB connections? The wires are fairly long.

--
M.Joshi

Liquids can wick thru stranded wire just like water thru a straw. I've seen it many times on vehicle wire harnesses. Usually at one end there is a sealed PCB enclosure that is creating a vacuum with temperature changes.
Senior Member

Question Vinegar

Thanks for the replies.

I have seen some videos that reccommend using white vinegar to clean the dried battery electrolyte.

Is there a better cleaner to use?

I assume it's probably a good idea to replace the battery wires as the strands are likely corroded?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 4:18:52 PM UTC-4, M.Joshi wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I have seen some videos that reccommend using white vinegar to clean the
dried battery electrolyte.

Is there a better cleaner to use?

I assume it's probably a good idea to replace the battery wires as the
strands are likely corroded?

--
M.Joshi

Nothing I have ever found removes battery corrosion better than plain old tap water. Once it's clean, then you can neutralize the pH based on what kind of batteries leaked.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 1:18:52 PM UTC-7, M.Joshi wrote:

I have seen some videos that reccommend using white vinegar to clean the
dried battery electrolyte.

Is there a better cleaner to use?

Copper and lead make acetates, which means the vinegar will slightly
etch them; if you use vinegar, clean and rinse well afterward. Inspect
the copper carefully, printed circuit copper is thin to begin with.

Vinegar is a neutralizer for alkaline battery leakage (and NiCd, NiMH). Not
a great idea for acid chemistries (like gel cells or LeClanche carbon/zinc).
Soapy water, rinse, finish with isopropanol is my usual cleanup regimen.