DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need a button for Sony Cfd-s350 (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/606666-need-button-sony-cfd-s350.html)

[email protected] March 9th 18 07:20 AM

Need a button for Sony Cfd-s350

Greetings.....I've always been impressed at the depth of knowledge displayed within this group so this might be the right place to ask my question(s).

I own a portable cassette player....Sony Cfd-s350.....that is in need of a new "play" button. I was able to easily lift out the broken button. The Sony website has the replacement button (through a company named Encompass) for a mere $2.32, but the postage is more than 3 times the cost of the part.

Does anyone know of a source where I can obtain the button without being price-gouged on postage? Also, how easy or difficult is it to install the button? Will I be able to just pop it in or will I have to unscrew and disassemble anything on the unit?

Thanks in advance.

Fox's Mercantile March 9th 18 07:33 AM

On 3/9/18 12:20 AM, wrote:
I was able to easily lift out the broken button. The
Sony website has the replacement button (through a
company named Encompass) for a mere $2.32, but the
postage is more than 3 times the cost of the part.

How much is it worth to you?
Total price is under $10.

Would you spend $15 for the part if the shipping was
free?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

[email protected] March 10th 18 06:18 PM

On Friday, 9 March 2018 06:20:33 UTC, wrote:

Greetings.....I've always been impressed at the depth of knowledge displayed within this group so this might be the right place to ask my question(s).

I own a portable cassette player....Sony Cfd-s350.....that is in need of a new "play" button. I was able to easily lift out the broken button. The Sony website has the replacement button (through a company named Encompass) for a mere $2.32, but the postage is more than 3 times the cost of the part..

glue the old one back together or buy a new one - what else is there?

Does anyone know of a source where I can obtain the button without being price-gouged on postage? Also, how easy or difficult is it to install the button? Will I be able to just pop it in or will I have to unscrew and disassemble anything on the unit?

Thanks in advance.

you're the one with the mechanism, you take a look & tell us.

John-Del[_2_] March 10th 18 10:31 PM

On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 1:20:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Does anyone know of a source where I can obtain the button without being price-gouged on postage?

It cost the same to mail a $2 button as it does to make a 2K diamond (assuming you're not adding insurance), so I wouldn't call it "gouging"

Also, how easy or difficult is it to install the button? Will I be able to just pop it in or will I have to unscrew and disassemble anything on the unit?

Look at the knob: if it has a flange wider than the space it takes to insert it through the vacated opening, you'll have to remove the transport. OTOH, if it does require transport removal, you can Dremel the button down and snap it in from the outside if you don't mind the wider gap that will result from the trimmed plastic removed.

[email protected] March 11th 18 12:14 AM

On Saturday, 10 March 2018 21:31:32 UTC, John-Del wrote:
On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 1:20:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Does anyone know of a source where I can obtain the button without being price-gouged on postage?

It cost the same to mail a $2 button as it does to make a 2K diamond (assuming you're not adding insurance), so I wouldn't call it "gouging"

It's Sony, of course they're going to 'gouge' you.

Also, how easy or difficult is it to install the button? Will I be able to just pop it in or will I have to unscrew and disassemble anything on the unit?

Look at the knob: if it has a flange wider than the space it takes to insert it through the vacated opening, you'll have to remove the transport. OTOH, if it does require transport removal, you can Dremel the button down and snap it in from the outside if you don't mind the wider gap that will result from the trimmed plastic removed.

and the resulting weakness or dropping off tendency.

NT

John-Del[_2_] March 11th 18 04:26 AM

On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 6:14:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Look at the knob: if it has a flange wider than the space it takes to insert it through the vacated opening, you'll have to remove the transport. OTOH, if it does require transport removal, you can Dremel the button down and snap it in from the outside if you don't mind the wider gap that will result from the trimmed plastic removed.

and the resulting weakness or dropping off tendency.

Not true. None of those machines use anything else but the shaft to hold the buttons on. If it pops off because the mechanism trades functions with a significant snap (that a bottom skirt might contain), a tiny bit of loctite or even a shmear of RTV will keep the button in place.

Besides, there's a 99 percent probability the transport does not have to come out. Most of those buttons just push on the shaft and are held in by friction and no part of the button is larger than the opening. A few buttons are molded with skirts but the vast majority are not.

I've seen some high end machines with floating buttons but never on a bottom feeder like this one.