DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130 (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/606493-panasonic-pvr-dmr-hwt130.html)

Jeff Layman[_2_] March 6th 18 03:44 PM

Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130

Anyone know how to get the metal chassis out of its plastic case (maybe
other similar Panasonic PVRs are fixed the same way)? I've removed all 6
screws on the back, although I think only 3 look like they fix it in
place, with the rest holding various sockets. I've lifted up a couple
of plastic catches underneath at the front, but it still won't budge -
not even a fraction. I checked under the rubber feet pads in case there
were hidden screws, but there weren't any.

It has been working perfectly for nearly 4 years, but in the last couple
of weeks has occasionally failed to record, or will not even turn on
with the remote. I wondered if it has a fan inside which was maybe not
working consistently, although I can't hear one, or perhaps some fluff
or other airborne stuff had got on a heatsink*. It smells of "hot
circuit board" through the vents. I've blown pretty hard into it and
will see if that helps. I just want to get it apart to see if there is
anything obviously faulty.

*Many years ago I had to replace a SMPS chip on a Panasonic DVD recorder
(DMR-E55) because they'd skimped on a heatsink. A new chip and a decent
piece of aluminium solved the problem.

--

Jeff

Jeff Layman[_2_] March 10th 18 01:00 PM

Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130

On 06/03/18 15:44, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I had a closer look at the user guide (shared DMR-HWT130 and 230) and
found the following:
"€¢ DMR-HWT130 does not have a cooling fan. Instead, it has ventilation
holes."

All the pics in the manual are for the HWT230. I found a service manual
offered on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DMR-HWT130-HWT230-HDD-Recorder-Service-Manual-/232056349381

But the model shown is *not*what I have. I assume the US version is
different. That one has scart sockets and a load of other sockets on the
back at the right. It also has an obvious "bolt-on" fan.

Is it usual for equipment with identical model numbers to be so
different in different parts of the world?

--

Jeff

Jeff Layman[_2_] March 11th 18 08:12 AM

Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130

On 06/03/18 15:44, Jeff Layman wrote:

Found the service manual on elektrotanya. It didn't turn up on a
StartPage search, but did on Google itself.

--

Jeff

pimpom March 11th 18 09:31 AM

Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130

On 3/10/2018 6:30 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:

Is it usual for equipment with identical model numbers to be so
different in different parts of the world?

Unfortunately, yes, especially if you use the term "identical
model numbers" loosely, in which case there are often numerous
variants of the same basic model even in the same country.

IMO the worst offenders are laptop and cellphone manufacturers.
When I wanted to buy a high mid-range laptop for my
architecture-student son a few years ago, it was a real PITA to
choose from, not only different models but also from the numerous
sub-variants of each model with slightly different suffixes. One
Samsung model alone had about twenty variants!!

Jeff Layman[_2_] March 12th 18 08:35 PM

Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130

On 11/03/18 09:31, Pimpom wrote:
On 3/10/2018 6:30 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:

Is it usual for equipment with identical model numbers to be so
different in different parts of the world?

Unfortunately, yes, especially if you use the term "identical
model numbers" loosely, in which case there are often numerous
variants of the same basic model even in the same country.

Seems to me that Panasonic have muddied the waters even more. The seller
of that service manual states on his Ebay page:

"This manual covers all worldwide models!

DMR-HWT130EB DMR-HWT230EB

Pages total: 102"

The manual I downloaded from Elektrotanya has only 60 pages, Both have
the same Order No. on the top right of the cover page (the cover pages
appear identical)! Strange...

IMO the worst offenders are laptop and cellphone manufacturers.
When I wanted to buy a high mid-range laptop for my
architecture-student son a few years ago, it was a real PITA to
choose from, not only different models but also from the numerous
sub-variants of each model with slightly different suffixes. One
Samsung model alone had about twenty variants!!

I wonder if this sort of thing really makes business sense. Do they need
that many variants?

--

Jeff