Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Oreck XL Air Purifier Repair

Electronics are OK but the fan is super noisy on both my units.
Took it to the local Oreck dealer and they said no can fix.
These have the buttons on the top and have a silver removable cover to
access the filter.

But can it be fixed ? Bearings available ?

Amazon has new but it will not let me make a purchase based on my
location (Southern California). Why ?

I have used the two I have for over 10 years but now cannot stand the noise.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Is there a exploded view manual around to see how to disassemble ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 9:07:16 AM UTC-6, FreeMan wrote:
Is there a exploded view manual around to see how to disassemble ?

This site seems to have at least some of the models shown in exploded view.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/or...39_130321.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Once upon a time on usenet FreeMan wrote:
Electronics are OK but the fan is super noisy on both my units.
Took it to the local Oreck dealer and they said no can fix.
These have the buttons on the top and have a silver removable cover to
access the filter.

But can it be fixed ? Bearings available ?

Amazon has new but it will not let me make a purchase based on my
location (Southern California). Why ?

Perhaps because of Californias strict air pollution laws? Maybe something
sold as an 'air purifier' in California has to do more than those units do?

Mere speculation.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

I have used the two I have for over 10 years but now cannot stand the
noise.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Perhaps because of Californias strict air pollution laws? Maybe something
sold as an 'air purifier' in California has to do more than those units do?

Or possibly because it is an ozone generator...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Only generates Ozone when you hear a snap.
There is an ozone filter in it they say.

So is there any take it apart videos out there ?

I have been looking.
Model AIRPSXXA051003

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 8:59:13 AM UTC-6, FreeMan wrote:
Only generates Ozone when you hear a snap.
There is an ozone filter in it they say.

So is there any take it apart videos out there ?

I have been looking.
Model AIRPSXXA051003

It almost does not matter. Most of the models, including the SP models show the fan motor as no longer available.

I'd say it's time to retire the units. You've gotten 10 years service out of them. That's good by today's standards, especially for a product that uses high voltage.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/21/18 8:59 AM, FreeMan wrote:
Only generates Ozone when you hear a snap.
There is an ozone filter in it they say.

The manual says it generates ionized air.
That by definition is ozone

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 2/21/18 8:59 AM, FreeMan wrote:
Only generates Ozone when you hear a snap.
There is an ozone filter in it they say.

The manual says it generates ionized air.
That by definition is ozone

No. You can generate ion flow if yo keep voltage at point below actual
beginning of arching. ozone is normally higher voltage AC so mix charges.
The mixed charged ion generator is used in various production like
electronics for static removal, like bench work. Also used on air spray
nozzles. Ion generators make particles stick to walls, filters, etc. With
an ion generator, it should produce no more ozone than sunshine.

I hate those barrel fans.

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 10:53:47 -0600, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 2/21/18 8:59 AM, FreeMan wrote:
Only generates Ozone when you hear a snap.
There is an ozone filter in it they say.

The manual says it generates ionized air.
That by definition is ozone

Last I heard ions are atoms that have either a net positive or net
negative charge. Meaning there are not an equal number of elctrons and
protons. Ozone is just a molecule, O3. The most common oxygen molecule
is, of course, O2. Either molecule can be ionized though.
Eric