Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

Default Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?

Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lost-in-space/

Since the thing is orbiting earth, why can't NASA just look up in the sky
with a telescope to find it?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Since the thing is orbiting earth, why can't NASA just look up in the sky with a telescope to find it?"

Good question. But I do know that when you aim at something 22,000 miles away you have to be pretty close.

the band over the equator where geosynchronous satellites can orbit is about 82,000 miles in circumference, so that is alot of area. Plus we don't know it was geosynchronous. Satellites can go every which way. The can be 22,000 miles up and do the same speed as the surface of the Earth at the equator, but they can go any way. But then you have to track them to communicate with them.

There are also an infinite number of planes at which a satellite can orbit, the closer to the Earth the faster it must move, the farther the slower.

So it can indeed be like finding a needle in a haystack, and I mean without a magnet.

Normally the tracking system can follow the signal, but not if it stops transmitting. If it is not in geosynchronous orbit it can be extremely hard to find. Count this up to luck. If NASA couldn't find it even knowing where it was supposed to be odds are about like hitting the lotto. But then people do...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 21:23:59 -0800, ultred ragnusen
wrote:

Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lost-in-space/

Since the thing is orbiting earth, why can't NASA just look up in the sky
with a telescope to find it?

Did you read the article? Start there, then come back if you still have
questions.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/02/2018 05:23, ultred ragnusen wrote:
Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lost-in-space/

Since the thing is orbiting earth, why can't NASA just look up in the sky
with a telescope to find it?

Considering they can track things as small as a glove, to monitor space
junk, for collision avoidance.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ultred ragnusen wrote:
Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lost-in-space/

Since the thing is orbiting earth, why can't NASA just look up in the sky
with a telescope to find it?

LOL. When they were trying to regain Skylab communication, we could see it.
Try pointing am 85 foot dish at it. That's what we were doing, pointing at
it. We almost got it. Later another agency sent proper position data.

Greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ultred ragnusen wrote:

-----------------------

Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lost-in-space/

Since the thing is orbiting earth, why can't NASA just look up in the sky
with a telescope to find it?

** How would you identify which one it was ??

Only finding a characteristic radio signal does that.

Satellites moving across the night sky look much the same.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/1/2018 11:23 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lost-in-space/

Since the thing is orbiting earth, why can't NASA just look up in the sky
with a telescope to find it?

It's like your keys, you lose them, you look for them, find them,
cause they were there all along!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 07:34:59 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 2/1/2018 11:23 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lost-in-space/

Since the thing is orbiting earth, why can't NASA just look up in the sky
with a telescope to find it?

It's like your keys, you lose them, you look for them, find them,
cause they were there all along!

I got a key finder from Object Locator. It don't finds satellites!

Steve

--
http://www.npsnn.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/1/18 11:23 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?

You realize this is that bonehead Harry Newton again.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lost-in-space/

Sure. When funding runs out, the satellite gets lots. When funding
is available, the satellite is magically re-discovered.

Go ahead. Find one satellite (without using the index or search):
http://stuffin.space

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

That's a great site. Want to have fun? Search for iridium 33. The telecom bird that crashed in '09. The debris is being tracked, and there is a *lot* of it in orbit.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 09:30:13 -0800 (PST), Terry Schwartz
wrote:

That's a great site. Want to have fun? Search for iridium 33. The telecom
bird that crashed in '09. The debris is being tracked, and there
is a *lot* of it in orbit.

Patience. It will be a while before the greens start complaining
about the satellites and space junk blocking the sun, reducing solar
insolation, and eventually causing global cooling.

The web site is a bit tricky to use without first reading the
instructions (which I never do):
http://stuffin.space
Click on "Groups" in upper left.
Select "Iridium 33 Collision Debris" or type "Iridium 33 DEB" into
the search thing.
Scroll down the list to see the huge list of debris from
Iridium 33 and several other satellites.
Click on "Help" to see what color represents debris.

Fractoid: If the 74 Iridium birds that were up in 2000 had fallen to
earth, there would be a 1 in 250 chance that the resultant debris
might have hit someone. You might want to invest in an armor plated
umbrella and hard hat.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Patience. It will be a while before the greens start complaining
about the satellites and space junk blocking the sun, reducing solar
insolation, and eventually causing global cooling.

That is not so much the issue as it is pretty hard these days to put anything into close orbit without it running into some pile of debris or other. And then, there is the matter of 'getting through' to higher orbits as well. A couple of grams of whateveritis passing through a satellite at some significant speed somewhere at/around 40,000 kph will do some damage. Perhaps just enough to damage the tracking programming. Satellites are not built for toughness, they are not armored, and gravity is not their friend.

Keeping in mind that the radio system on the Apollo Lander was no more than a few watts, and was tracked continuously from earth, tracking something much closer with far more power behind it should be pretty straightforward. Except that it isn't. The Verizon truck is not an hour away.

That Jimmy Neutron does not 'get' that is yet another example of its essential lack of value. And why engaging with it is akin to micturating in a vertical direction along a braided convenience.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"micturating in a vertical direction along a braided convenience"

You watched The Coneheads didn't ya ?

Thoroughly enjoyable movie. Not good scifi at all, but it captured that old Saturday Night Live humor. Pretty sure I have it. One thing I am still looking for is Eddie Murphy - Kill My Landlord. He was quite young at the time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/02/2018 05:50 AM, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 07:34:59 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 2/1/2018 11:23 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lost-in-space/

Since the thing is orbiting earth, why can't NASA just look up in the sky
with a telescope to find it?

It's like your keys, you lose them, you look for them, find them,
cause they were there all along!

I got a key finder from Object Locator. It don't finds satellites!

Steve

Try getting closer...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lost-in-space/

Sure. When funding runs out, the satellite gets lots.

Lost, you mean?

Probably loses its slot, too...

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Can someone explain to me how you lose (and then find) a satellite?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lost-in-space/

Sure. When funding runs out, the satellite gets lots.

Lost, you mean?

Yep. You have found a character transposition typographic error which
was not detected by my spelling chequer and was probably due me typing
with one hand while eating dinner at the computah desk. Thank you for
your concern and attention to detail. The world is now a better
place.

Incidentally, terrestrial space junk is valuable:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/fts/houston_spacejunk.html
...one "flown" engine bolt that was part of the space shuttle
Challenger is worth about $250. If it had never left a
launch pad, Gary estimates the same bolt might sell for
a more down-to-earth price of $20.
This is from 2006.