DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sloppy video card (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/604485-sloppy-video-card.html)

Bitrex January 31st 18 12:06 AM

Sloppy video card

The PC that had this Nvidia GTX 670 graphics card in it refuses to start
any recent variant of Linux I try on it via a USB live installer, it
shows the boot/BIOS and splash screens OK but ends up with a black
screen or garbled graphics. Still not sure if it's a hardware or driver
issue, but...

This is the side of the GPU PCB facing upwards in the tower:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jq330axgnvlj7l/IMG_20180130_185355206.jpg?dl=0

Looks like thermal grease dripped all over it from somewhere. Related?

Terry Schwartz January 31st 18 12:37 AM

Sloppy video card

Have you verified that it's thermal grease? Looks almost like some form of corrosion.

Looks like thermal grease dripped all over it from somewhere. Related?

Rheilly Phoull[_2_] January 31st 18 12:47 AM

Sloppy video card

On 31/01/2018 8:06 AM, bitrex wrote:
The PC that had this Nvidia GTX 670 graphics card in it refuses to start
any recent variant of Linux I try on it via a USB live installer, it
shows the boot/BIOS and splash screens OK but ends up with a black
screen or garbled graphics. Still not sure if it's a hardware or driver
issue, but...

This is the side of the GPU PCB facing upwards in the tower:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jq330axgnvlj7l/IMG_20180130_185355206.jpg?dl=0

Looks like thermal grease dripped all over it from somewhere. Related?

Did you clean it off ??

[email protected] January 31st 18 01:20 AM

Sloppy video card

This card is toast. The white stuff is corrosion from most likely water or some other spilled liquid. Given the extent of the corrosion, I would doubt that this card is salvageable. The corrosion has likely eaten through the contacts under some of the ICs.

You can try cleaning this off, but I doubt it will help.

Dan